It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: children fare better in traditional mom-dad families

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

The Washington Times, June 10, 2012
by Cheryl Wetzstein

Two studies released Sunday may act like brakes on popular social-science assertions that gay parents are the same as — or maybe better than — married, mother-father parents.

"The empirical claim that no notable differences exist must go," Mark Regnerus, a sociology professor at the University of Texas at Austin, said in his study in Social Science Research.

Using a new, "gold standard" data set of nearly 3,000 randomly selected American young adults, Mr. Regnerus looked at their lives on 40 measures of social, emotional and relationship outcomes.
www.washingtontimes.com...

D'oh! Sounds like novel scientific hypothesis?

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Mon Jun 11 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

edit on Mon Jun 11 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed links

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
No really?

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by bokonon2010

I had to laugh because you took the words right out of my mouth!

2nd

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I'm glad we have these studies to tell us these things.
Because they aren't easily apparent by walking around with ones eyes open.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
OOOOOH the hate gonna be slung at you.But for the rest this is perhaps a "no s##t " statement.Is it just me or has progressive logic been shot down concerning most of these non traditional efforts they make? I don't mean that they should stop or be minimized but if they're wrong ,obviously dysfunctional and wrong why the hell can't they figure it out? They keep kicking that dead unicorn.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Maybe that's because they are discriminated against? Who knew that could be psychologically damaging...

I wonder how many anti-gay threads there's going to be today?

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
It is because a mother and father relationship is the natural order of things....

One has to simply look out of their window at the natural world to figure these things out.

It will always be an objective of a minority to justify their ways, or say it is ok because of this or that - when it is simply not the case.

I have heard many gay people say, "I wish I wasn't this way... but I am." Why would you then want to expose children to that?

When you partake in an UNNATURAL social situation, then you must accept the guidlines of nature. Ie: If you are in a relationship that doesn't allow you to reproduce, then don't try to take what you are not naturally allowed to have.

It's like wanting to have your cake and eat it too - and that's just another way to say you are being selfish.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by bokonon2010

There have been a lot of dumb studies lately.. leads me to believe..... that either scientists are being lazy or that they really are running out of things to study...

+13 more 
posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
As a man who was a single father for 10 years of my son's life, I can say without a doubt he would have been better if there was a healthy mother-father relationship in the home. However, I did my best, and tried to be the stern father when I had to be, and the nurturing mother at times. It wasn't easy. He turned out fine though, and is doing well.

As a side note, he was in JROTC in high school with a kid who had 2 lesbian mothers. This kid scored a perfect 36 on his ACT, had a 4.2GPA, and graduated as the valedictorian of his class. My son didn't, and wouldn't have even with a mother in the house. So, that being said, the kid with 2 lesbian moms is doing just fine...and he just so happens to be straight. I guess their "gay virus" didn't infect him.
Or, perhaps...maybe, just maybe...he was born straight.

edit on 11-6-2012 by navy_vet_stg3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
It is an interesting study.

The 'Family' is a sacred institution that had lead to our progress and evolution. Without parents guiding the next generations, but left to peers or govs, so much would have been lost, and most critically love, care and concern, the glue that binds us all.

Today, many can see the family institution being systemically or ignorantly destroyed.

Irresponsible parents, unwed parents, homosexualities, etc. BUT these are NOT the root causes, and none of those groups should bear full blame. Society too, MUST bear that responsibility.

Why had we allow it to happen - the destruction of the family?

Many causes - such as apathy, sefishness, but the most blame can be attributed to GREED. Tyranny - economic or political, needs slavery to exists, and thus family institutions will be broken up so that slaves take orders from their masters and not guiding from parents. With slaves hard worked and hard pressed, family neglect is only natural, and the rot begins leading to the annihilation of the family.

Worse still is when adult parents not only enchained themselves for the security of conformity in the direction of tyrants, they attempt to enslave even their children to such systems, and thus a breakdown of trust as the children grows up, and entire societies destroyed, laid waste by tyrants.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Heterosexual couples are really amazing, im really glad we waste this much money to discredit homosexual couples!

Just want to say that if your heterosexual and you have kids, give yourself a pat on the back because your doing a wonderful job, this study proves it

Now to get back to watching Jeremy Kyle, this episode is about is about how a heterosexual couple cheated on each other but they don't know who the father of the child is!

Btw, can we stop the gay bashing threads? You'd think one a day would keep you happy!

edit on 11-6-2012 by SearchLightsInc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
As a man who was a single father for 10 years of my son's life, I can say without a doubt he would have been better if there was a healthy mother-father relationship in the home. However, I did my best, and tried to be the stern father when I had to be, and the nurturing mother at times. It wasn't easy. He turned out fine though, and is doing well.

I am right there with you. I have a 10 year old and a 7 year old. Unfortunately, their mother and I had to part ways. It is true that although in a nuclear family things are easier because different emotions are brought from different aspects of the parents -- and as a single dad, it is hard to be both (it is damn confusing to both the child and parent when they have to be the nature, nurture and guiding hand) -- it is very possible to bring up a child in such circumstances.

I applaud you navy...because single dads, while starting to gain some attention as a viable alternative to the mom "solution" in separations, is becoming increasingly apparent when the courts actually look at the situations.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
Heterosexual couples are really amazing, im really glad we waste this much money to discredit homosexual couples!

I don't see this study as a way to discredit homosexual couples at all. It is what it is. Hell, if you want to, look at it as "Children fare better in nuclear families; nuclear meaning two parents involved providing a complete emotional and supportive environment to the children" study.

Just want to say that if your heterosexual and you have kids, give yourself a pat on the back because your doing a wonderful job, this study proves it

]Btw, can we stop the gay bashing threads? You'd one a day would keep you sane!

Maybe I missed the bashing call...I am not seeing it. It is a study in the effects of a child in a traditional home....how is that bashing?!
edit on 11-6-2012 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-6-2012 by ownbestenemy because: Fixed a broken quote

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MentorsRiddle
It is because a mother and father relationship is the natural order of things....

One has to simply look out of their window at the natural world to figure these things out.

It will always be an objective of a minority to justify their ways, or say it is ok because of this or that - when it is simply not the case.

I have heard many gay people say, "I wish I wasn't this way... but I am." Why would you then want to expose children to that?

When you partake in an UNNATURAL social situation, then you must accept the guidlines of nature. Ie: If you are in a relationship that doesn't allow you to reproduce, then don't try to take what you are not naturally allowed to have.

It's like wanting to have your cake and eat it too - and that's just another way to say you are being selfish.

These folks hate biological science.
Their religion is one that doesn't allow for reason or logic.
And if you disagree with them, you are "evil" or "ignorant". Just like disagreeing with a Fundamentalist Christian, it will do no good.
Irrational faith is irrational faith by any given name.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by pierregustavetoutant

Originally posted by MentorsRiddle

These folks hate biological science.
Their religion is one that doesn't allow for reason or logic.
And if you disagree with them, you are "evil" or "ignorant". Just like disagreeing with a Fundamentalist Christian, it will do no good.
Irrational faith is irrational faith by any given name.

My main thought is this: Homosexuality is discriminated against, made fun of, looked down on, etc. by the majority.

Children already have a tough enough time in this world in school, and society, without having the extra buden of homosexual parents added into the mix.

People by nature are animals - and will always act in an animialstic way... This includes social behaviour.

How selfish could a person be to inflict such a social stigma on a child? They will not be accepted by a majority of people, made fun of, etc.... And it isn't even their fault.

I have heard some homosexual people make the remark, "It will only re-enforce upon the child that they shouldn't judge," "We will teach our children to ignore ignorant people...."

That's a load of bull. It's selfish, cruel, and just flat out wrong to inflict this type of mental, and social disturbance on a child.... It's wrong - and they know it!

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

Btw, can we stop the gay bashing threads? You'd one a day would keep you sane!

Maybe I missed the bashing call...I am not seeing it. It is a study in the effects of a child in a traditional home....how is that bashing?!
edit on 11-6-2012 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

Another thread on here about boy scouts not allowing gay's into their club - basicly a thread about keeping gay's in their place. And now this? someone posting a study that suggests "what we knew all along" that children grow up better in traditional nuclear families with a mommy and a daddy. Cmon now, I think there's a conspiracy to lock homosexuals back in the closet on ATS

Bashers are out in force recently!

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Yeah, the biggest challenge is going from this uber masculine role model to the motherly role. In my case, my ex-wife was awarded sole custody, even though she had just got released from the nut house for attempted suicide (put the knife in my son's hand and started cutting her wrists). I caught her doing it. Anyway, she was awarded sole custody. Then, she stood up and said, "I don't want a f'en thing to do with that kid.". The judge said, "Okay, I'll rule for joint custody, with the father as the primary custodial parent...in case you change your mind." WTF? Anyway, she bailed to California, never paying child support, and only sending ONE birthday card. We got divorced when he was 2, and I got remarried just shy of his 12th birthday. His egg donor called on his 18th wanting him to come out and visit. The nerve. He didn't go, and needless to say, I was thrilled.

Good on you for stepping up. It's important to keep some semblance of stability in their lives, and be there for them when they need it. Just try not to let your emotions with the ex run a muck and spill over into your relationship with them.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Well they need to release the study itself so we can see what they mean by their findings. What they determine 'doing well" to mean. I don't want to hear about it, I want to read it in detail.
edit on 11-6-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
Another thread on here about boy scouts not allowing gay's into their club - basicly a thread about keeping gay's in their place. And now this? someone posting a study that suggests "what we knew all along" that children grow up better in traditional nuclear families with a mommy and a daddy. Cmon now, I think there's a conspiracy to lock homosexuals back in the closet on ATS

Bashers are out in force recently!

That is another thread...not this one. And someone posting about a study that points to the natural order (in which without scientific discovery, would be a side note; wouldn't you agree) of a typical family.

But as already pointed out by two single parents and kids growing up fine, it isn't all inclusive. I honestly stand by my stance that if a child grows up in a family (two parents; be it two dads, two moms, or the traditional) they would fair much better because the support is doubled. Parents don't have to exhibit all aspects of the emotional and disciplinary structure in those situations. They have help.

If you want to see this as "bashing" it is obvious that I cannot tell you otherwise because that is how you feel. But I am not seeing how it is.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
In my opinion, this whole situation of gays raising children is still a big social experiment in it's infancy. We won't really know for some time what the overall outcome to these children will be. Unfortunately, by the time we can decide whether it works or it doesn't, it will be too late for the children and too late for society.

We are now really getting an in depth look at how the single parent or even the two parents in a household working is affecting the children as they grow into adulthood. So many young adults have raised themselves and so many children are raising themselves now and what has the outcome been? From what I have seen, not so great. There are those who have made it, but so many more have not.

Whenever I worked at a preschool, I was always saddened whenever I opened a child's backpack to put in papers and discovered yesterday's and sometimes the previous day's work still in there apparently unlooked at. the kids worked hard on their projects and usually they would tell me excitedly that they were going to give it to mom or dad. I could usually predict the kids this would happen to by how career oriented the parents were.

We can study these things all we want to and we can advocate for whatever lifestyles we choose, but the reality is that we really don't know whether or not this is going to be a good thing or not until we have raised a few children in this environment. Truthfully, I have seen a large number of youth who seem very confused about their sexuality and I'm fairly certain that all this pushing of alternative lifestyle is to blame . It's unfortunate that for children, sexuality is a very confusing issue to begin with. Now they are also bombarded with having to decide if looking at another girl or guy and thinking they are an attractive person makes them gay, more so than ever before. Whenever I was growing up, I used to love looking at pictures of actresses and admiring their beauty. I never once believed it made me gay to do that. My daughter, however, asked me once if it was gay to look at a pic of a woman and find her attractive. She is eighteen now and is not gay. In fact, she told me she couldn't understand how any girl could be as she finds men so awesome. Unfortunately, I think the confusion leads to a lot of kids making choices they might not have made otherwise.

I'm not gay bashing. I have a number of friends who are gay and I love them dearly, but even they think this whole thing is getting out of hand. One of my friend's has told me there are true gays and gay wannn-a-be's. The true gays understand they are different from early on and lots of time feel shame and regret for their orientation. These are the naturals that every type of animal in the animal kingdom have. The others are those looking for a new thrill or confused about who they really are. Are we promoting this confusion?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join