It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you tell a friend who says 3000 barrels of oil spilled in the river is nothing...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

I think this demonstrates a wider problem in society. To make quips about the environment seems to be like a new form of demonstrating how macho you are. Guy in bar makes quip, all his pals are supposed to laugh and pat him on the back.

In fact, not just about the environment... life in general. People are becoming more and more narcistic. Encouraged to look inwards instead of outwards. "not my problem"

To be nonchalant about the most serious of issues... to take pride in ignorance!

He has already admitted that this is a problem with the world by saying ""you are a consumer of oil and 3000 barrels is nothing compared to all the oil in the world"

So he knows it’s a problem... But individually we can’t fix all the problems of the world... the only way is to take small steps and that starts by caring, being passionate, and eventually getting angry!! Talking about it, spreading the world, getting others on board, changing our lifestyles, making sacrifices, protesting, escalating, DOING SOMETHING!!!

Or we can just sit in a bar getting drunk and say "i dont concern myself with all that, see the game last night?"

While the world slowly rots and the future for our children is deteriorated.... Way to go macho guy!

Yep, that what i'd say to him

Peace

edit on 11-6-2012 by Muckster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Bubbas like to fish and hunt... You want that crap in the fish you're about to fry?

Great statement, considering that the spill happened in some of Alberta's best hunting, fishing and cottage country. On top of that, the oil apparently spilled into a creek which then fed some of that oil into the Red Deer River above the City of Red Deer, which takes its drinking water from that not-so-fresh-anymore resource.

It's like pouring a cup of oil into a well used for drinking. Wanna try it?

This very well may be the straw that breaks the tacid peace between ranchers and the oil industry in Alberta. Strange that a comparatively smallish spill in a sensitive area like Red Deer country has that capability.

NIMBY

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

I think people with such thinking are not grounded to the earth and don't see the planet as a living breathing thing. Ignorance too makes people unaware of the connectedness of all things and the effects of pollution on the local environment. It is macho NOT to give a damn about anything that keeps a car on the road. Still it always amazes me how many people claiming to be allergic or germ-o-phobes would get rid of all plants and animals if they could. Some others would wipe out everything except cultivated crops and domesticated animals. Compared to those folks your friend is a moderate speaking reasonably, so I guess people are just different and value different things. You can't force anyone to care. You can find better quality friends who you have more in common with though.

edit on 11-6-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Don't tell them anything....
Just take an eye dropper and put a few drops of oil into whatever they're drinking. That will give them the perspective needed, but be ready to either run or fight if they have a violent demeanor

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
You tell them that a single drop is enough to pollute 1 million litres of water. Imagine an entire barrel. Then imagine 3000.

You have to ease into these things.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Oil is natural and is leaked to the environment every single day by mother nature herself. Not defending oil spills here. Care must be taken. But not freaked out by it either.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

convergence.ucsb.edu...

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Thing is in the grand scheme of things it is not a massive spill.
Do you know where around 75% of all the oil spilled that reaches the sea comes from? from people spilling it when filling their cars, it gets washed into the rivers back to the ocean.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik
reply to post by FlySolo

Of course your friend made a good point. I think that he was trying to say is that acting mad about it doesn't change the fact that you are part of the problem. And, that part is much larger then that spill.

Just because we use the product doesn't make us guilty of the huge mistakes made in refining, and transporting the product.

I think his point was silly.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
There is a difference between using a limited resource responsibly and not doing so. Gas and petroleum are all pervasive in our society, and short of growing your own organic food, raising sheep and lambs for wool to make clothes with, you will somehow end up being reliant on it. But being responsible about the use of it is what matters.

You could have said to your friend that yes he has a point, but also there is a finite amount of oil, and spilling any is a shame as it is lost and damages the environment. If it was not spilled, it at least could have been used before it contaminated the environment. This may have made him realize that stewardship of our resources is important. He sounds resigned and cynical to me, but I don't know him.

Not sure how far 3000 barrels will go, with it being used as fuel and chemicals, anyone have an answer?

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

You tell/explain to them that DENIAL IS INFLUENCED BY FEAR. And then pray they see the LIGHT in what your saying for you cannot FORCE his will to feel as you do, thats like cheating on a SCHOOL EXAM FOR THE SPIRIT.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhisperingWinds

Originally posted by daskakik
reply to post by FlySolo

Of course your friend made a good point. I think that he was trying to say is that acting mad about it doesn't change the fact that you are part of the problem. And, that part is much larger then that spill.

Just because we use the product doesn't make us guilty of the huge mistakes made in refining, and transporting the product.

I think his point was silly.

Someone might say that you want to believe this so you can sleep well at night.

We are responsible for burning 84 million barrels a day which makes that spill look rather insignificant and you can't push that responsibility off on others. That was the point.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Say nothing. Walk away, and don´t look back.
Ever.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Easy. What you say to him is, "Goodbye." And sometimes it only takes one line to say what needs to be said. But the mods like prolix, so here.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

You know what I would of told your friend....First off Plains Midstream Canada is at fault...The line was commissioned in 1966 and shut in...AND SHUT IN...There are regs for doing this ....First off the line SHOULD of been pigged to clear all internal fluid...Second they should of pickled the line with a corrosion inhibitor and a inert gas introduced to 1/4 of mawp blinded at each end and said pressure checked every month....Third said line should of been on a cathodic system for external corrosion and checked every month....There are rules and regulations to adhere to in the patch set forth by the EUB...THEY WERE NOT FOLLOWED.....And these guidelines are to be FOLLOWED as they are introduced... Plains Midstream Canada is at fault...But don't worry im sure the president,Cfo Ceo will get a great bonus this year...This is twice in 8 months....

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Catsscratchfever
reply to post by FlySolo

You know what I would of told your friend....First off Plains Midstream Canada is at fault...The line was commissioned in 1966 and shut in...AND SHUT IN...There are regs for doing this ....First off the line SHOULD of been pigged to clear all internal fluid...Second they should of pickled the line with a corrosion inhibitor and a inert gas introduced to 1/4 of mawp blinded at each end and said pressure checked every month....Third said line should of been on a cathodic system for external corrosion and checked every month....There are rules and regulations to adhere to in the patch set forth by the EUB...THEY WERE NOT FOLLOWED.....And these guidelines are to be FOLLOWED as they are introduced... Plains Midstream Canada is at fault...But don't worry im sure the president,Cfo Ceo will get a great bonus this year...This is twice in 8 months....

Now that is something to sink your teeth into. Not just a to-and-fro argument. And to think they want to build the keystone line all the way to Nebraska. Yikes!

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
You are totally correct my friend, we live in Sarnia and check out this link to see the history or killing people and the environment too all in one swift kick.

www.japanesepopsongs.com...

Do not fret about attacking your drinking pals, you were correct all the way.

S&F and regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Here is a goody or two to view.......
www.ctv.ca...

www.theglobeandmail.com...

www.canada.com...

and on and on.......hell yes you were correct and hell yes your buddies were wrong.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

That list is overwhelming. Just about every year for over a 100 years something bad happened. Checking to see if I can find anything about plains midstream Canada being involved in any "global climate commission" too

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
As far as your friend, keep in mind that each of us is human. What was said that evening while drinking beer may not be his overall opinion on the matter, it may have been a result of a lousy day, or someone irked him earlier or any number of things. If you've been friends with him for this long, chances are that your values match better than just surface level stuff. Give him the benefit of the doubt out of friendship, put it out of your mind. In the grand scheme of things, it's not that major.... if it still bothers you, have a conversation with him sometime without the beer, in a nice, relaxed environment, maybe fishing or something outdoors where his mind is more connected to nature around him. You may get a totally different answer or even insight into what/why he answered the way he did.
Don't ever let one comment about a problem brought up in passing effect a friendship of many years.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join