It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you tell a friend who says 3000 barrels of oil spilled in the river is nothing...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
compared to all the oil that is used to make products I use?

Oil spill threatens Alberta’s Red Deer River

Plains Midstream Canada, which operates the pipeline that was built in 1966, shut a 10-kilometre section of its Rangeland South line. While the company is still investigating the cause and precise location of the spill, it estimated that 1,000 to 3,000 barrels of crude, or 160,000 to 480,000 litres, has leaked. About 90 workers were erecting booms in Lake Gleniffer, some 40 kilometres downstream, in an bid to prevent an oil slick from reaching Red Deer, Alberta’s third-largest city, which draws its water from the river.

Source

Having beers with a couple of friends the other night at our local watering hole talking about world affairs etc, like we always do, and I brought up the oil spill that just happened on Thursday. When he said that, my first immediate thought was "I don't think I like you anymore". I became quiet. Searching quickly in my mind how to respond under the slight foggy haze of my third pint. "You can't complain about it" he said, "you are a consumer of oil and 3000 barrels is nothing compared to all the oil in the world". I asked him, "so, it's just a casualty of war your saying?" He had a point, but I was beginning to froth more than the head of my beer.

I consider myself to be balanced and will listen to all aspects and perspectives. While I was angered the way he casually dismissed the environmental accident, I was also aware he was right. After a swig, I recollected my thoughts and let out a barrage of reasons as to why it isn't ok. I don't have the steam now to repeat what I said but it was along the lines of greed, climate change, raping the earth of our resources, and Canada selling out.

Throughout all that, I still knew he had a point and I'm angry at myself for that. I use gasoline to fill up my car and rest my feet on my fake leather vinyl stool. So, what do you say to that? Do I have a right to be angry for the oil spill? 57 acres of the owners land ruined, no place for the wildlife to drink from the river, the stink and headaches from inhaling petroleum sludge.
Sometimes I hate logic.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
They are ignorant and you tell them nothing.. :c

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Just because you use oil or gas (or anything else!) doesn't mean you can't care when there is a spill. It is an environmental disaster no matter who uses what. Your friend is an idiot.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
What do you tell them?

To go take a swim, in that river, where the oil spilled.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

While it was an idiotic thing to say, he's right though. We ALL consume it, so doesn't that make us hypocritical?

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Take your buddy to the spill, toss him in the middle, and ask him if it is still NOTHING.

You win.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Of course your friend made a good point. I think that he was trying to say is that acting mad about it doesn't change the fact that you are part of the problem. And, that part is much larger then that spill.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Thats like saying to all the Gun owners they are in a sense responsible for every murder.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
They are ignorant.

Your friend is an idiot.

I don't think I like you anymore.

Is it possible to say. "I don't quite see it that way because .... Let's talk about it." Are we so quick to discard an entire person because they have an opinion we disagree with? Sure, he may be wrong on this, do you want to be tossed aside when you're wrong about something?

Use a soft word and keep him as a friend. Respect him enough to listen and, after everybody's sobered up, do a little research, talk it out, maybe agree to disagree, and go on with your friend.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik
reply to post by FlySolo

Of course your friend made a good point. I think that he was trying to say is that acting mad about it doesn't change the fact that you are part of the problem. And, that part is much larger then that spill.

Yes. And I understood that. But this is the crux of the problem and the paradox of my dilemma. .

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
ask them if it would be nothing if 3000 barrels of oils fell from the sky and drenched all the houses, roads, lawn and trees in his home town. then ask him to consider that the fish and other animals live in the water so it would be equated to having oil in his air with every breath. and every sip an animal of the land drinks from the contaminated river.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
They are ignorant.

Your friend is an idiot.

I don't think I like you anymore.

Is it possible to say. "I don't quite see it that way because .... Let's talk about it." Are we so quick to discard an entire person because they have an opinion we disagree with? Sure, he may be wrong on this, do you want to be tossed aside when you're wrong about something?

Use a soft word and keep him as a friend. Respect him enough to listen and, after everybody's sobered up, do a little research, talk it out, maybe agree to disagree, and go on with your friend.

I felt we were diametrically opposite at that moment. Friends for over 6 years. Not because of one sweeping statement, but rather an epiphany.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
In the grand scheme of things, sure it's a very small event. Then again so is a murder. When one happens near to you, I don't know why I can't think of a better way to say this, it hits closer to home.

In some ways he's right, but it is a rather callous right.

OP I thought this was going to be one of those 'I'm better, smarterer than some idiot I know' threads authored in some vain attempt to receive accolades from a bunch of like minded people. You surprised me.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Naa, I'm only self-righteous when it comes to UFO threads.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Further too...

Yes, the gulf disaster was a real pisser, but when I see it leaking into the lands I live near by it really bugs me. Now I have to question my own belief system and I hate being a hypocrite. During that conversation I had a plethora of thoughts about how there is such a fine line with everything. Everyone is right and everyone is wrong simultaneously. The yin-yang? How can we complain while drinking the cool-aide? Its madness. Perhaps this should have gone in a more appropriate forum of philosophy.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
In the grand scheme of things, sure it's a very small event. Then again so is a murder. When one happens near to you, I don't know why I can't think of a better way to say this, it hits closer to home.

In some ways he's right, but it is a rather callous right.

OP I thought this was going to be one of those 'I'm better, smarterer than some idiot I know' threads authored in some vain attempt to receive accolades from a bunch of like minded people. You surprised me.

I think the bigger problem lies in that it's preventable.
3000 barrels of oil doesn't need to spill, but we humans give it plenty opportunity.
It's effects will be minimal, local. That we know of.
The gulf oil spill didn't end the world overnight, but it's effects still haven't reached full proportions.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlySolo

Canada selling out.

Alberta for SALE! Sold to the richest of the elitists for next to nothing. And it only costs the Albertan taxpayers $19,000 dollars. I found it interesting that during the time Premier Redford was in Virginia she was supposed to be attending a visit from the leader of the NDP opposition to the Oil Sands.

Alberta Premier Alison Redford leaving Bilderberg.

I can understand how sometimes its hard to say what you really want to say to someone who is being naive or misinformed. Honestly, whether you had spoken up or not, it probably wouldn't have changed their mind any. Look, I am not a hardcore environmentalist and I don't believe that the cause of Global Warming is even settled yet, but even the small spill into lake Wabamum several years ago is still have effects on the ecosystem. Its a sad world we live in when people don't see the truth.

Also, you may be consuming all oil type products, but you are not the reason why our world is so dependent on this # and why we destroy... Its not like by boycotting oil they are going to suddenly change their ways. The corporations will bleed the oil business dry until their is nothing left to bleed and they will destroy and tax us for their destruction because their is "no other alternative".

edit on 11/6/2012 by TheSparrowSings because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/6/2012 by TheSparrowSings because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

You tell him 1 gallon of oil Pollutes 1,000,000 gallons of water.
Its true

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Cut his throat with a karambit.
Nothing more needs to be said.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jordanAKbramsen

Yes, but my question goes deeper than that. I will say what he would say to you. Use your bank card much?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join