It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My two ideas to clean up capitalism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Im going to make this post brief, as i believe the solution is just as brief.

My two ideas to clean up capitalism:

1. Ban corporate political donations,

2. End corporate lobby groups and interests.

Two very simple laws. I beg anyone to tell me how these would not improve our general lot in life.

Yes, im not so naive as to think corruption will not continue, but it seems to me these are no brainers. Please, debate. I have argued for years for these things with anyone who will listen to me, and am eager to hear what the ATS crowd has to say. I have gone as far join a Canadian lobby group that lobbies for these very same things. Its an uphill battle, but we fight for those most importantly, with a secondary objective of pressuring the government to post balanced budgets in times of economic growth. We have at least had some success with this point, if only with the Conservatives.

ps. I post this here because if there is a country with corporate influence, it is the USA
edit on 8-6-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Great Ideas, Id add put a cap on all campaign spending, across the board set a limit.

But remember, Corporations are citizens, not until Citizen united is overturned can any actual change happen.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I definitely agree with those two, but call be pessimistic here but I just can't see how you'd get rid of them. That lobby group you joined won't have even a fraction of the funding of the other lobbyists, all of whom will gang up on you if it becomes a threat to them, they do cooperate when they are all under threat.

The media certainly won't give it any support, but that's a no-brainier. The only hope is that this idea should seem appealing to the majority of common folk, it just makes sense you know. Sad thing is though recent history has shown it doesn't really matter what the majority think any more. Good on you for giving it a shot though, you have my support.

edit on 8-6-2012 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr

As you said, by no means an end-all to corruption. But these would certainly help to curb the massive corporate influence within the US government. All of these lobbyists who line the representatives pockets in exchange for a say in policy making are nothing more than criminals, and it's been going on for far too long. The level of greed that permeates the halls of congress is extraordinary

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior
I definitely agree with those two, but call be pessimistic here but I just can't see how you'd get rid of them. That lobby group you joined won't have even a fraction of the funding of the other lobbyists, all of whom will gang up on you if it becomes a threat to them, they do cooperate when they are all under threat.

Agreed, which is why i said we have an uphill battle. But these are things i deeply believe in and am willing to fight for.

Originally posted by polarwarrior
The media certainly won't give it any support, but that's a no-brainier. The only hope is that this idea should seem appealing to the majority of common folk, it just makes sense you know. Sad thing is though recent history has shown it doesn't really matter what the majority think any more. Good on you for giving it a shot though, you have my support.

No, they dont and they wont until the points i made come to pass. The media is owned by corporate interests, both on the right and the left. Strangely enough, i cant say i disagree with that. I am not necissarily anti-corporate or anti-business, quite the opposite. I simply want an even playing field.

While the media should always be neutral, editorials and commetaries are not, nor should they be. I want free speech. And as such, the owners of the media should be allowed their commentary. And we all know that will not be biased. There is a reason we should look at all printed work with a critical eye, there is always an agenda. We must always realize people who have opinions own such things and will further their own interests.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I like your line of thought on this and have often advocated for removing all private money from the Federal electoral system. And switching to a publicly funded system where the candidates are given an equal amount of cash to run their campaigns on. It will allow the smaller parties to have their platform heard and leave it up to the campaigns to run with what they have been given. A huge part of the problem is that there are a number of smaller parties that do not get heard because they dont have the resources the big two have. Add the chance that the big two could lose and lose big and we may just possibly may get better representation that actually cares about the country.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx
I like your line of thought on this and have often advocated for removing all private money from the Federal electoral system. And switching to a publicly funded system where the candidates are given an equal amount of cash to run their campaigns on. It will allow the smaller parties to have their platform heard and leave it up to the campaigns to run with what they have been given. A huge part of the problem is that there are a number of smaller parties that do not get heard because they dont have the resources the big two have. Add the chance that the big two could lose and lose big and we may just possibly may get better representation that actually cares about the country.

Exactly.

Democracy is a fair, equal representative of the people. Corporations making massive political donations do not help a candidate make fair, equal dicisions. They favor those who help them get into office. This is the main issue with politics in the West these days, and i want it to end. I dont want capitalism and democracy in the West to end, i want it to improve and prosper.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
umm..how about just get government out of the market completely? That is, after all, the point of a free market.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by eLPresidente
umm..how about just get government out of the market completely? That is, after all, the point of a free market.

I agree, but I think these two ideas would be a great start.

join