It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question About Turkey

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I have been thinking, from some of the lectures I have seen, and various sources that Turkey, and its capitol Constantinople will leave NATO.

What would such a consequence have on WW3 in the middle eastern situation? Thoughts

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

The way the middle east is breaking down is along Shia-Sunni lines. There is already a war going on between Saudi arabia and the gulf states and Jordan (Sunni) vs. Syria, Iran and Lebanon (Shia rulers). It's playing out right now in Iraq, Syria and Bahrain.

Turkey is Sunni although not Arab. They would most certainly be aligned with the Sunni faction over Iran. Turkey did rule all of Arabia for like 600 years. So in effect even if they did leave NATO they'd still be a US ally with the Sunnis

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Okay, I'll bite.

First, if Turkey left NATO, wouldn't it's capitol automatically leave as well? I'm not sure why you separated them. Not to mention that the last I checked, the capitol of Turkey was Ankara (Angora). Did I miss some tongue-in-cheek here?

Anyways, the absence of Turkey would put a huge crimp in any military planning for a middle eastern WW3 situation. Turkey is NATO's big ol' freeway for transporting military equipment and supplies to the theater. Without Turkey merely putting a field force in place would become much harder, let alone maintaining it.
edit on 6/7/2012 by Montana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by KnawLick

Sunni is a sect of islam, not a racial distinction like Arab as you say.

The saudi government is a US ally, but the people are not, that is why I am saying about turkey.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana

Oh my bad, I did not know Ankara was the capitol, but I think Constantinople is the most influential city and has Islamic stronghold and will determine a lot.

Yes I know the capitol will go too, I was just saying it.

Yes if turkey does in fact leave NATO, that would put a major kink in NATO invasion plans for Iran or even syria or any other country in the future.

Interesting thoughts.
edit on 113030p://6America/ChicagoThu, 07 Jun 2012 23:35:53 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
it could go ORTHADOX agin,,

Russian Orthadox,,
basically,,Csar Alexander ,,would finally be at peace.

just a thought.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Well i don't have much to add to other then having spent a few years there at the start of the iraq war as much as the majority didn't like suddam hussein they hated america and it obvious war for oil.
Off course that attitude was at conflict with it government trying to change policys to get into the EU.

ETA: Im not sure if at the time this was a law or just how it was there, but women leaving the house without a male or permission was really a big deal. As i say it was at odds with the government trying to get EU membership. I wonder how much has changed?
Other then that it was a really cool place, animal # everywhere though in the village i was at haha
edit on 7-6-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

It would be interesting if these Arab revolutions keep spreading and then eventually next comes Turkey and it is taken out of NATO. Would certainly make for an interesting story..

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Did I miss something? I thought Constantinople was renamed Istanbul quite awhile ago. Right after it was conquered by the Muslim Army, the beginning of the Ottoman Empire.

As for Turkey leaving the Alliance, I don't think it would be that great of a loss. It may even save money.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

It was renamed in 1923 by the government, but I do not agree with them, hence I still call it Constantinople as its rightful name. Sounds much stronger than Istanbul lol.

As another poster said that turkey is a major roadway for NATO. Plus it also puts a block on Russia towards eastern Europe and part of the Mediterranean sea.
edit on 113030p://6America/ChicagoThu, 07 Jun 2012 23:51:48 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
After doing some quick research it would seem turkey leaving NATO would be a blow to NATO after all turkey has the second largest army in NATO and it is perfectly placed for a M.E war
What would turkey gain from leaving NATO? And what would it mean for the US bases there, oh and the NATO missle defence that is set up in turkey.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

The people might not like us but turkey is a like a constitutional military dictatorship. Turkey has one of the largest army's in the world. The people's opinion doesn't matter so much as the military's.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

Exactly, the second largest NATO army, with perfect positioning in the middle east in close proximity to Russia as well, an extremely valuable member for NATO

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
If im not mistaken Turkey is taking up Columbia as there new best friend. Im not sure what kind of game they are playing by doing that.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

As another poster said that turkey is a major roadway for NATO. Plus it also puts a block on Russia towards eastern Europe and part of the Mediterranean sea.
edit on 113030p://6America/ChicagoThu, 07 Jun 2012 23:51:48 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

You've got me there, I see the point.

My brain is all fuzzy as I just got off work. A physically active body combined with a sleep deprived brain do not make a good combination.

I think I'll have a beer to even things out.
edit on 8-6-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Sure no problem lol, beer always takes care of those types of things

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

You might find this meeting that took place in Turkey interesting like I did.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Wow, interesting indeed. Fascinating. So anyone who dissents against the Turkish government would probably be killed at the hands of the Turkish government...?

Maybe they know that the Turkish regimes days are numbered...? Just like Gadhaffi..?

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Turkey lately seems to be playing both sides of the fence in regards to foreign policy....seems like they want to be friends with everyone and end up reaping the rewards at the end of it.

If Turkey leaves Nato, you can almost guarantee a world war scenario eventuating. Whilst Turkey is in Nato, they cannot attack Israel as USA is in a moral predicament - supporting their pitbull in the mideast and a fellow Nato member at the same time, remloving one of the two would be beneficial for the USA and you can bet it wont be israel.

Israels move into Greek Control Cypress is also another point of potential conflict in the future.

Greece having collapsed economically would be a cake walk into Europe should the Turks wish to emulate the manouvaires of the former Ottoman Empire.

I dont understand enough about the various arab tribe differences, but if anyone can get the Arabs together I beleive Turkish leadership could do it.

Wildcard Option - Turkey leaves Nato and aligns with Iran/Iraq taking the first step towards a Muslim MidEast Caliphate.

The other nations would follow as they would want to be part of this growing security machine that would be the Muslim caliphate.

It wouldnt take much to get going and once started would snowball quickly.

From Algeria to Pakistan East to West down to malaysia in the South.......Nuclear Armed, fanatcial, and the Muslim Brotherhoods west dream come true.

Turkey needs tyo watch what it is doing or else the current leadership will be overthrown for a more extremist aligned group.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

www.scoop.co.nz...

US State Dpt: Global Counterterrorism Forum in Istanbul
Friday, 8 June 2012, 12:13 pm
Press Release: US State Department
Background Briefing: Senior State Department Official on Global Counterterrorism Forum in Istanbul
Special Briefing
Senior Department Official
Istanbul, Turkey
June 7, 2012
MODERATOR: We are in Istanbul for the Global Counterterrorism Forum. We have with us [Senior State Department Official], hereafter Senior State Department Official, to walk you through the events for tomorrow. Take it away, [Senior State Department Official].

It gets interesting after that. People ask questions like.

QUESTION: You have – the Egyptians are a co-chairing rule of law working group?
SENIOR STATE DEPARTMENT OFFICIAL: Yep.
QUESTION: I mean, do you think that, given the kind of questions about the military, the SCAF that has had serious questions about their rule of law, and now you have a new government that’s completely untested, are you – how can you say that the Egyptians should be co-chairing a group that they’re providing – they’re helping to create best practices? They’re the ones that – I would think they’re the ones that need these type of best practices.
SENIOR STATE DEPARTMENT OFFICIAL: The best practices are being drawn up by the entire group. Okay?
QUESTION: But how can they provide leadership on this issue right now?

And this is the new War on Terror UN group being ran by Hillary meeting in Turkey.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join