It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vietnam Wall closed to all Veterans on Memorial Day

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
This is my first thread and i hope i don't mess it up too badly. I utilized the search function using several different word/phrase combinations and didn't find anything on this topic - but a lot of people seem to do that and later learn there IS a thread already. If i've inadvertently committed the same error, then Mods please do what you need to.

I try to keep my mouth shut about our President. I'm 52 y/o and i've seen quite a few Presidents do quite a few things that i disagree with - but i'm not the President, so i try to consider that there might be a lot going on in the background that makes some situations appear differently than they really are. This situation is exactly what it is.

Several Presidents have spoken at or near the Wall on Memorial Day/Veteran's Day and they were never afraid of the Veterans who were there to honor those who had given all for their Country. I believe that most people who know anything at all about our VietNam Vets know that they gather by the thousands at the Wall on every Memorial Day - it's not only not a secret, there's usually a little news clip of it every year.

Not so this year. This year our President closed the Wall to our Veterans!
They were made to stand and wait for HOURS until they gave up all hope of completing their annual honoring mission/ceremonies and left.

This is the best link i have for the subject as the MSM certainly isn't reporting a word on it: Obama Closes Wall to VietNam Vets

There is another link i found that blogs about the event: "Insensitive, Cruel to Veterans and Families"

But it made for some "terrific" photo ops! They don't look very happy, do they? I can only imagine what they were hearing from the Veterans who were being held back. I wonder how many spouses, children, grandchildren, friends, soldiers-in-arms and even parents traveled thousands of miles to touch the names of, and lay a wreath or flower for, their loved ones. Only to find out that our own President isn't comfortable in proximity to those who offered all nor the families and friends of those who gave all.

This information needs to be public and, since our MSM won't do it, it's up to us ATS members to do it.

Our warriors deserve better than this.

Shame on you, Mr. President! Shame on you for dishonoring our fallen and living heroes. Shame on you for not notifying those tens of thousands that they would be making a trip for nothing. A few news clips would've gotten the job done; a few notifications sent out to VFW and American Legion would have gotten the message across in time. I guess your photo op was more important.

Who were you talking to, anyway? Apparently to no one at all.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SeesFar

My son and I (and the Scout troop) spent Memorial Day at the American Cemetary in Luxemberg. We were allowed to camp out the night before and the night of the ceremonies.
The American Ambassador along with a 3 star were there with the usual dignitaries. The boys ran, played games, and we were all given access everywhere.

My father, a Vietnam veteran, would be saddened to hear about this.

Apparently, the Commander-un-Chief could give a damn about the people who serve.

S&F

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
All they had to do was instead setup at a spot away from the actual wall, leaving the wall accessible, and then when Obama finally arrived, usher him over to the wall for the photo op. The speech should have been given from the stage away from the wall. At no time should he have closed the wall, especially on Memorial Day.

Overwhelming arrogance, insensitivity, egotism and "I reside above you" shoved down the throats of veterans everywhere. If that had been Ron Paul, he would have told the SS to go away, and walked right over to the wall amongst the crowd with outstretched hands and a meaningful thank you to each and every veteran he could find- without fear of assassination, and with the added message that their brothers were ALL being ordered HOME.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
wow is all I can say. CVeterans that gave their life for the elite. then the elite have the balls to close off that site so the elite can make a speech filled with lies about how america will make sure our veterans are taken care of when in fact they could give a rats ass about what happens to them after they have been used as pawns for old mens wars. Truly disgusting. have your stupid speech on the white house lawn or somewhere else. I believe most veterans have seen the light and it is seen by them throwing their medals out.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
keep in mind:
the people who did attend were
"celebrating" memorial day
and
at one time wanted the troops to pay for their own healthcare

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Thre elite have managed to stay in power by not crossing certain lines of social behavior....Thy have managed to keep us wondering if they really are part of something inimical to the rest of us.....
It has become very obvious the elite like Obama, Hillary,Rmney, and the rest have no scruples and no honour.
The people are getting educated faster by these insensitive acts of arrogance than all the ATSers strident posts.
Not that im knocking the ATSers, just sayin the gov boys alienate themselves from the people more and more every passing day.
How much longer before the people resent their presence and move to do some housecleaning.....?
Theres a mess of politicians who should be in prison, but arent.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I did EMT duty at the traveling Vietnam Wall last summer. It was 48 hrs around the clock over 4th of July.

No one showed up. Volunteers? About 20 all weekend.

Vistors? Under 10.

I was surprised and dismayed.

Even the local VFWs didnt show or the IRON HORSES motorcycle type clubs and all the other cycle rider-vets.
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how obummer managed to think that this was anything approaching a good idea. He probably has too many yes men. "Yes Mr. President, doing a speech at the Wall will be great for your image!". Not so for those who the wall was actually made for. I hope this news spreads through the families he screwed over.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
I did EMT duty at the traveling Vietnam Wall last summer. It was 48 hrs around the clock over 4th of July.

No one showed up. Volunteers? About 20 all weekend.

Vistors? Under 10.

I was surprised and dismayed.

Even the local VFWs didnt show or the IRON HORSES motorcycle type clubs and all the other cycle rider-vets.
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

I'm sorry to hear that ~ very sorry and it does sound dismaying. However, it shows that the Moving Wall was in Armour, SD on 4th of July last year. Armour has a population of less than 700 people with a median age of 52 years. Ten people out of a population of less than 700 with a median age of 52 years .... we might need to take into account how many of them might have had family or friends involved in the conflict, etc. ... because as low as that is, it might have actually been a good representative turnout for a weekend over which many families plan their annual summer vacations.

Or did i look at the wrong calendar for last year's dates? I looked at this link: 2011 Moving Wall Schedule

Thank you to all who have replied. Please get this information out to everyone you know who has a vested interest in our heroes ~ past, present and future. And i may be very biased, but i believe every U.S. citizen has a very vested interest in our heroes. Whether or not we agree with the war or conflict they were involved in (and whether or not they had the good fortune NOT to have to bear arms against another during their enlistment), our heroes volunteer their lives when they enlist and then they honor their commitment whether or not they believe in the war/conflict. That is honor! Our gratitude is the very least we owe them.

And to all of you who have served: thank you, welcome home and/or come home safely!

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
ya gotta love Amerika, we have a president who isn't even american, who never served this country to begin with, who then sends our troops to their deaths, and gets a nobel peace prize, then on memorial day, won't even let the vets near a memorial that means more to them than it does to this clown. what a friggin disgrace.

what is this country coming too anyway, I mean our last president went AWOL from the ANG for crying out loud. we need to get a president with a real military backround, with some b@lls to do the right thing, who will treat our vets accordingly, and with respect. Obama is such a coward.....

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
double post.
edit on 2-6-2012 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Did you expect a draft dodger with a fraudulent draft registration card to know any better?

The people elected a turd. Now mittens is gonna be the next turd and he doesnt no a damn bit better.

I know my card was legit.
edit on 2-6-2012 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
What a jerk! Giving a speech honoring vietnam vets on memorial day. Sheesh!

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

the vets shoulda booed him down when he gave his speech

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
reply to post by stanguilles7

the vets shoulda booed him down when he gave his speech

Yeah. I guess they werent as upset over this non-issue as a few bloggers were.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Ronald Reagan held a Veteran's Day speech at the Vietnam Memorial. (link)

GW Bush held a speech at the Memorial one year (2002) and held a speech at the Arlington Cemetery several years (2003, 2006, 2008), closing down both for each appearance.

Obama has done nothing different than his predecessors, holding a ceremony nearly identical in nature to those of Reagan and Bush.

It's been a tradition for several administrations now that a president lays a wreath at the memorial on Veteran's Day (which ALWAYS results in the public being shunned away).

So what exactly has got the crazies all worked up this time around? Obama doing the same thing as his predecessors or Obama not fitting in with your prejudiced views of how and what a president should look like?

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

So they shut down the memorial for the entire day? You think elderly veterans can stand around all day while Obama can read the teleprompter for 15 minutes in front of his supporters (It was basically a YEAH VOTE FOR ME speech.)

Pathetic.

edit on 3-6-2012 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

If you had bothered reading, veterans were not allowed to the wall. It was closed to them.
That is what the fuss is about. How did you miss that? The title makes it clear, the post made it clear. Let me ask, do you have trouble reading?
edit on 3-6-2012 by soaringhawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Another President treating war vets badly?

No way.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mkoll
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how obummer managed to think that this was anything approaching a good idea. He probably has too many yes men. "Yes Mr. President, doing a speech at the Wall will be great for your image!". Not so for those who the wall was actually made for. I hope this news spreads through the families he screwed over.

I don't think this came from his "yes men".

This smells of Valerie Jarrett!!!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join