It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House to examine plan for United Nations to regulate the Internet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
"Next week’s hearing is expected to bring more attention in the U.S. to the measure, which would give the UN more control over cybersecurity, data privacy, technical standards and the Web’s address system. It would also allow foreign government-owned Internet providers to charge extra for international traffic and allow for more price controls."

thehill.com

House lawmakers will consider an international proposal next week to give the United Nations more control over the Internet.

The proposal is backed by China, Russia, Brazil, India and other UN members, and would give the UN’s International Telecommunication Union (ITU) more control over the governance of the Internet.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

The worst thing-they're not being specific about what kind of charges they want to apply to people who want to browse websites outside of their country.

I know I view webpages from other countries, sometimes on a daily basis. I guess this will be their final clincher to keep people from reading news pages from other countries. If you want to look at that-it's gonna cost you!

This bill had better fall on its face. It is NOT something the US or ANY country needs!

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I just know one thing. If they essentially take international browsing away from the people of the world, it would be a good time to start hobbies you may never have considered. Mountain biking, fishing, or any other outdoor activity which keeps you busy in your free time and is still fun. They sure want to nickle and dime people to death-worldwide.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
While I cannot speak on behalf of other citizens from other nations, I propose a movement here in the US to remove our nation from the UN. It is my belief that brotherhood need not be brokered by any governing body or bodies! What say you world?

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ajay59
While I cannot speak on behalf of other citizens from other nations, I propose a movement here in the US to remove our nation from the UN. It is my belief that brotherhood need not be brokered by any governing body or bodies! What say you world?

Here Here

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
This article has a little more information about the ITU / U.N., and offers more detail and perspectives.

jbs.com

The International Telecommunication Union is a specialized arm of the UN that deals with all communication technologies; it has 193 member countries. The 1988 treaty was originally titled as International Telecommunication Regulations, or ITRs. The problematic portion of that 1988 treaty, for Internet freedom lovers, is Art. 9.1b which deals with cyber security and infrastructure protections. The section obligates countries to "avoid technical harm to the operation of the telecommunication facilities of third countries" for internets spanning national boundaries. According to the ITU, "Such obligations potentially include setting and adopting standards, monitoring traffic flows, cooperation among parties, establishing implementing national laws, and instituting enforcement mechanisms."

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I see this has already been posted..So mods kill it if you wish.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Why should the UN control infomation?
infomation Must be Free.

top topics

join