It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schoolboy 'genius' solves puzzles posed by Sir Isaac Newton

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

A 16-year-old has managed to crack puzzles which have baffled the world of maths for more than 350 years. Shouryya Ray has been hailed a genius after working out the problems set by Sir Isaac Newton. The schoolboy, from Dresden, Germany, solved two fundamental particle dynamics theories which physicists have previously been able to calculate only by using powerful computers. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... d9s7

This is great. He just reminds me of Ramanujan for some reason. The Indians are great at mathematics and science. While other kids were on twitter and updating Facebook this kid solves Sir Issac Newtons unsolved equations after 350 years. I hope he gets a good scholarship and brings to light more of nature.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 26/5/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

The Indians are great at mathematics and science.

If someone else doesn't find this absolutely hilarious, I live in a scary world.

High five?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

What about Indian girls?

(I bet it's not going to take some of our ATS geniuses 350 years to get that question.)

Absolutely incredible story though - just incredible. I admit I don't understand and of it - but then again I'm not Indian or male. (Ok ok I'll let it go).

Thanks for the thread - interesting stuff that.

peace
edit on 26-5-2012 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

His solutions mean that scientists can now calculate the flight path of a thrown ball and then predict how it will hit and bounce off a wall.

Shouryya only came across the problems during a school trip to Dresden University where professors claimed they were uncrackable.

Seriously... is this satire? Someone please tell me this isn't indeed the case. That up until now, we could not calculate the flight path of a thrown ball and then predict how it will hit and bounce off the wall....

Something about that seems so primitive, for a lack of a better word. If I knew this was still a mystery, I swear I would have had that solved when I was a freshman... oh wait, 15 or 16 years old. LOL

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 26/5/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

If someone else doesn't find this absolutely hilarious, I live in a scary world.

High five?

What's scary is your ignorance. University researchers in the UK discovered a few years ago that mathematicians in India discovered the infinite series - one of the basic components of calculus - 250 years before Newton and Leibnitz did
www.cbc.ca...
www.sciencedaily.com...

European belief in the superiority of Western civilisation caused the mathematical achievements of India to be ignored until recently. The ignorance is still perpetuated by schools and universities today.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I would rather focus on the problem he solved rather than debating who is better than who at mathematics.

The schoolboy, from Dresden, Germany, solved two fundamental particle dynamics theories which physicists have previously been able to calculate only by using powerful computers.
Boy wonder: Shouryya Ray has been hailed a genius after working out the problems set by Sir Isaac Newton

His solutions mean that scientists can now calculate the flight path of a thrown ball and then predict how it will hit and bounce off a wall.

I don't understand exactly how particle physics relates to the trajectory of a thrown ball... or how particle physics even relates to the problem set by Newton. Can anyone link me to the actual problem as written by Newton? I am very interested to find out more about this...

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

Seriously... is this satire? Someone please tell me this isn't indeed the case. That up until now, we could not calculate the flight path of a thrown ball and then predict how it will hit and bounce off the wall....

Of course we can figure out the trajectory of a thrown ball before now. It seems to me like he has developed some sort of solution which allows for a much more accurate calculation... possibly because it works by calculating things at the particle level rather than the macro level. I don't really know, that's why I want to know more about this...

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I think he has probably solved Newtons 'Three body Problem' - but that is the crap journalism we have today - maybe he did it with infinite series!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
cool! Wish they told us what the problem was that he solved and showed his solution. It would be great to check out!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Translating from German. I don't have access to his paper unfortunately.

The first sounds like: Ballistic trajectory with Newtonian friction.

The second: Particle-wall collision using Hertz contact model and linear damping.

Just on a side note. The first supercomputer was used mainly for ballistic computations.

Writing up the differential equations for both problems is left as an exercise for the reader.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

High five?

What an incredibly ignorant statement. Indians are head and shoulders above their counterparts in the United States in math and science.

I'd put the education level of a first year Indian University student up against the equivalent first year American University student any day of the week.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
cool! Wish they told us what the problem was that he solved and showed his solution. It would be great to check out!

I'm sure you have access to Google.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by moebius
Translating from German. I don't have access to his paper unfortunately.

The first sounds like: Ballistic trajectory with Newtonian friction.

The second: Particle-wall collision using Hertz contact model and linear damping.

Just on a side note. The first supercomputer was used mainly for ballistic computations.

Writing up the differential equations for both problems is left as an exercise for the reader.

True, the first supercomputers were used by the Navy to calculate missile trajectories. The first computers of the modern age were used by the British Secret Service to crack German codes.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

High five?

Indian people did invent market economics you would think after 4000 years of haggling they be good at math

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Why the hate?

We have some brilliant Americans. You just don't see them because they're hidden away in labs and observatories.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
***snip***

And blacks have great rythm.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
***snip***

I'd put the education level of a first year Indian University student up against the equivalent first year American University student any day of the week.

That's not because Indians as such are better at math. That's because the American school system has learned to be content with less.

Seriously though. If your post hadn't looked like a stereotype joke, people wouldn't have jumped on it.

Had you just said that American education has been dumbed down, nobody could have disagreed.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Knowing the Daily Mail, the correct story is: German schoolboy solves mathmatical puzzles that we don't even understand so he must be waaaaay cleverer than what we are and therefore the clevererererest person in the world ever and better than Newton and Einstein and Jesus put together .....

(no disrepect to the lad who obviously is much more intelligent that the entire Daily Mail staff put together)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Jeez, talk about cynical Saturday.
Can we all just agree that the man in question is very clever and can probably give answers to "questions" most of us (myself included at the front of that queue!) can't even comprehend?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I surely would like to examine the research papers as I am a fan of Newton, Einstein, Leonardo, Euler, Ramanujan, all the great geniuses of our time. Most collision theories rely on macro calculations and elastic dynamics and kinematics and use newtonian physics for large objects.

His theory would revolutionize thermodynamics and statistical physics and nuclear physics because all these fields involve the study of thermodynamics and kinematics.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join