It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG: 2012 KP24 Incoming! Are we Doomed?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Yeah i was brought up on this notion that we are all doomed with these asteriods, i remember the charlatans making money from people back then and it seems they still are..

As i used to live near david icke down the road i listened to him a few times, but i knew then he spoke drivel .
but hey people will follow the shepherd still and it is there choice to..

Do not worry people we will be alright ..
edit on 24 4 2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   

2013 refinement The close approach in 2029 will substantially alter the object's orbit, making predictions uncertain without more data. "If we get radar ranging in 2013 [the next good opportunity], we should be able to predict the location of 2004 MN4 out to at least 2070." said Jon Giorgini of JPL.[15] Apophis will pass within 0.0966 AU (14,450,000 km; 8,980,000 mi) of the Earth in 2013, allowing astronomers to refine the trajectory for future close passes.[16][17] Just after the close approach on 9 January 2013,[16] the asteroid should peak at about apparent magnitude 15.7,[18] On January 31, 2011, astronomers took the first new images of Apophis in more than 3 years.[19]

en.wikipedia.org...
Interesting....

Straight from JPL, about a year ago... the orbital diagram and corresponding information, showed that Dec 21'st was the date in 2012 that Apophis was to be at its closest to Earth... Although this only says that January 9, 2013 will peak at apparent magnitude, which doesn't necessarily contradict this.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
google space engine. It's a free game that's mind blowing and really show's you how big space is.Honestly no offence meant, but seriously you have no idea until you try space ship mode and see how long it takes to get to the point where you can see the entire earth, and the distance is less than 0.001 AU.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by gandhi
google space engine. It's a free game that's mind blowing and really show's you how big space is.Honestly no offence meant, but seriously you have no idea until you try space ship mode and see how long it takes to get to the point where you can see the entire earth, and the distance is less than 0.001 AU.

Google Earth, actually gave me a pretty clear as to just how amazingly big our universe is...

That is where I took this picture...

OMG ALIENS!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

1 LD = Lunar Distance = 238,606 mi

Distance of Moon from Earth = 238,900 mi

Meteorite 2012 KP24 is: 0.1 Lunar Distance = 23,862 mi
About 1/10th distance to the moon.

Satellite Orbits:
Low Earth orbit: Geocentric orbits ranging in altitude from 0–1240 mi
International Space Station, Hubble

Medium Earth orbit: Geocentric orbits ranging in altitude from 1,200 mi to about 22,236 mi
Communications satellites, GPS

High Earth orbit: Geocentric orbits above the altitude of about 22,236 mi
Millitary, Weather

No tidal waves...
edit on 25-5-2012 by Novaroc because: dottin my t's

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Novaroc

1 LD = Lunar Distance = 238,606 mi

Distance of Moon from Earth = 238,900 mi

Meteorite 2012 KP24 is: 0.1 Lunar Distance = 23,862 mi
About 1/10th distance to the moon.

Satellite Orbits:
Low Earth orbit: Geocentric orbits ranging in altitude from 0–1240 mi
International Space Station, Hubble

Medium Earth orbit: Geocentric orbits ranging in altitude from 1,200 mi to about 22,236 mi
Communications satellites, GPS

High Earth orbit: Geocentric orbits above the altitude of about 22,236 mi
Millitary, Weather

No tidal waves...
edit on 25-5-2012 by Novaroc because: dottin my t's

Also note only 12 observation to date
Has a condition code of 9 which is very bad. orbit can still change wilderly
May inprove with more observation

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
If this were made of a metal composition and given the size, if an impact were to occure it would certainly do some damage,. Meteor Crater in AZ wasnt a big asteroid... it left a mile wide crator
edit on 25-5-2012 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
If that thing hits the ocean, about 100 miles off the coast of a major city, can it cause a destructive tsunami?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS
Are we Doomed?

No
its the 1z that are not registered on the regular data base that MOVE FUNNY
that may have more concern issue. Doom&Gloom related not sure could be NEW BEGINNING related.

LOVE LIGHT ETERNIA
NAMASTE*******

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
its not going hit us, its still to far 0.1 light years, is same as 0.1 light years = 5.87849981 × 1011 miles

so not a chance, and the thing is small. so let it pass and we will all say hi to it.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
here is the real threat asteroid apophis coming close to earth 2029 and 2036. in 2029 it will be 8,900,000 miles away. size is 270 meters. It will all depend on how the trajectory changes when it comes back in 2036.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by storm2012

It will only be a threat if EXISTING advanced techs do not eliminate it. In the future n a few more years these techs will be even more advanced, so if a threat makes it thru related to asteriod/comet impact then it may be due to strategic forcing of the celestial object evading advanced asteriod/comet defense tech or it may not even be a asteriod/comet at all???
edit on 5/25/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
reply to post by storm2012

It will only be a threat if EXISTING advanced techs do not eliminate it. In the future n a few more years these techs will be even more advanced, so if a threat makes it thru related to asteriod/comet impact then it may be due to stragetic forcing of the celestial object evading advanced asteriod/comet defense tech or it may not even be a asteriod/comet at all???

I read before about technology eliminating or changing the trajectory of the asteroid or comet. About breaking a meteor apart causes much more devastation because all the debris from that meteor will come as a meteor shower with big rocks that will cause widespread damage, same as one big meteor hitting. The only option is changing the trajectory, but that's if we have technology by than. If we screw around the technology and actually alter the path towards Earth, that will be a bad scenario . Lets see what the future has store for us, dec 21, 2012 is still to pass lol.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
An asteroid of this size, is generally a rock, and a loose conglomeration at that... Odds are that it breaks up very high in the atmosphere, about 300,000 ft or so. If you are right underneath it, you might feel a bit of a breeze, but nothing more. Even over water, the resulting tsunami will be so small as to hardly warrant the name. A few inches, no more.

An iron meteor of this size, might be a bit more problematic. But even an iron meteor of this size breaks up rather high up. Though not quite so high as a stony one. The blast will cause structural collapse directly underneath in some weaker structures, but generally speaking, most would be replacing windows. Tsunami's are, again, no worries.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
26 meters = 85.3 ft., depending on what type of rock and or metal ,this asteriod could very well make it to earth .

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ViP3r

At a shallow enough angle, it could very well do so, or at high enough a speed. But that is, if the reading I've done is any indication, unlikely. It's simply too small.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I performed an analysis of the orbit using the 14 astrometric observations that are now available. It's definitely not going to hit us on this approach.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
something 26 meters in size should burn up, unless it is moving at galactic speeds it won't matter too much.
I still have my hopes up for the grand vizeer, or, the vatican catching it.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

yes we are doomed..send me your bank account number immediately along with all your valuables..i'll take good care of them

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
At least you asked if we were doomed, instead of the usual demanding that we ARE in fact doomed.

props.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join