It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The surface of Mars in fake color

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
This really irritates me. Why does NASA have to falsify the color in images from Mars? What are they trying to hide? The fact that Mars is not as red as they want it to be? I was looking through news articles and came across a slideshow of images from the surface of Mars and right off the bat, the first picture is clearly a false color image. And to make it even worse, it is a very bad false color image:

Further images are also false color:

It angers me when I see this. What exactly does providing fake colors in Mars images supposed to do? Is there any specific or logical reason that NASA can't provide REAL true color images of Mars? Oh wait they do...when there is nothing close to see:

Clearly these images are altered. So how are we even supposed to believe anything NASA says regarding the surface of Mars when they can't even provide accurate images of it?
edit on 24-5-2012 by DragonFire1024 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
So how many times have you been to mars to verify the true color?

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jefferton
So how many times have you been to mars to verify the true color?

I don't have to go to Mars to tell when an image has been altered. When comparing the 3 images, the last example image clearly shows that the first 2 were altered. Last i checked, none of the rovers were painted in rainbows.
edit on 24-5-2012 by DragonFire1024 because: clarify

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
They had the world fooled with their first Mars images showing us the red sky.
Movies were even made using this bad information, movies like Total Recall.

When NASA tells us anything, it's extremely vague. Sort of like listening to Romney, they talk for hours without really saying anything.

But they seem to know more about what's going on outside our solar system more than they know what's going on with our closest neighbors, moon, Mars, Venus, etc.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonFire1024

Apparently you aren't too familiar with cameras. Go take a picture of the exact same landscape on earth 10 times. The colors will be different in some of them, it just happens.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Jefferton

How quickly we forget this picture:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bodhi7

Apparently you aren't too familiar with cameras. Go take a picture of the exact same landscape on earth 10 times. The colors will be different in some of them, it just happens.

See my latest post. No camera will change the color of something so drastically unless it is physically altered by a computer or a human.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

You sound like a typical ats self proclaimed expert. Full of exuses lacking any real knowledge.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Mars could have higher concentrations of certain chemicals in different areas, or chemicals that reflect the color much more depending on the time of day/amount of sun. There's no reason to believe the entire planet is one color. What exactly would there be to gain from altering it? Nothing.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
OP, I may be missing the point here, but what color are you suggesting Mars is then ?

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
More than eight years into its mission, Nasa's Opportunity rover still gets stunning views of Mars. This three-wavelength, false-colour image captures the rover's own shadow in light from the end of its 2,888th Martian day. In the foreground is the western rim of the vast Endeavour crater, where Opportunity passed the Martian winter.

says it all to me

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I definitely love the NASA conspiracies as much as almost anyone else, but...it DOES look pretty red:

I know we could easily call shenanigans on this and other astronomer's photos and videos, but I have to agree there's likely not TOO much to gain from false-coloring mars with an intent to deceive.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

Then why alter the colors? So far, out of all the attacking on this thread, there has been no real explanation or logical answer as to WHY.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

You sound like a typical ats self proclaimed expert. Full of exuses lacking any real knowledge.

I posted this thread to gain knowledge. I in no way ever said I was an "expert" in anything. I merely pointed out the fact that of the 3 images I posted, the only true color image was the last one. So I ask you, what excuses are you speaking of?
edit on 24-5-2012 by DragonFire1024 because: typos

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonFire1024

Then why alter the colors? So far, out of all the attacking on this thread, there has been no real explanation or logical answer as to WHY.

So far you have not proven they are altered. Just your opinion. That's why the conversation ends.
edit on 24-5-2012 by Jefferton because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by blackmetalmist
OP, I may be missing the point here, but what color are you suggesting Mars is then ?

Who knows for real? I sure don't. I have always been told it is as red as rust. Though the first image I posted clearly show it was altered. I don't care about false color. What I care about when I am attempting to gain knowledge is FACT. Not false information.

link   

What is true colour
Once you tells us what that is then we can say what NASA has or hasn't done

So let us all know.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008

What is true colour
Once you tells us what that is then we can say what NASA has or hasn't done

So let us all know.

Ever take a picture with a camera and done nothing to alter said image? There you go.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackmetalmist

Who knows for real? I sure don't. I have always been told it is as red as rust. Though the first image I posted clearly show it was altered. I don't care about false color. What I care about when I am attempting to gain knowledge is FACT. Not false information.

Look at it at night with your eye it looks red/orange in a small telescope red with dark markings.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

So far you have not proven they are altered. Just your opinion. That's why the conversation ends.
edit on 24-5-2012 by Jefferton because: (no reason given)

Are you blind? Or just refuse to actually read. If you can't tell they were altered from their original state, then yes you are correct. the conversation ends. I said it earlier. Show me a rover painted in rainbows and I will end this conversation now.
edit on 24-5-2012 by DragonFire1024 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join