It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Here Is CPR Certified?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I haven't seen much about this discussed - so I thought I'd put out a little reminder that the Red Cross hosts CPR classes that are either sponsored, so they don't cost you anything - or are available at a nominal cost. Certainly worth the $$$ if you ever need to use it. CPR, First Aid, or for those who want to spend more time and money - an EMT course could prove invaluable in a SHTF scenario.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by therealdemoboy

I had to do it for a job I had last year...
So I'm CPR & First Aid certified.
I'm sure it will come in handy someday. Hope not though.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Luckily, the company I work for gives us training every 2 years, so I'm good.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
First Aid and CPR certified here as well. Its always good to have someone in the family know these things especially if there is little kids in the house. You just never know.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

As with the others, I'm certified as well. My job also requires CPR and First Aid certification. The skills are a great asset that hopefully doesn't have to be utilized!

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I used to be. Not any more...It's really not that hard though. You don't forget how to do it, and if I see some one in need of CPR I am not going to just stand there and watch them just because I am not certified anymore.

It is a great thing to learn and to know. If you don't have the money to pay for classes, you can still look online for proper CPR procedures and practice at home.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I was certified two different times in the past but I suppose dying has changed now so my knowledge is obsolete.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
All the women of my family worked in the medical field from the second they could legally work. I grew up going to every CPR refresher they had to attend. The problem is they keep changing it. I guess I should enroll myself, as it is more important to be up to date now being mom.
ETA: Some sources tell you not to give breaths anymore. I'm pretty sure that it's because if you don't carry the mask made for CPR the person you're trying to save will puke in your mouth...just something to consider if you insist on mouth to mouth without protection.
edit on 21-5-2012 by PutAQuarterIn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Certified - yes.

CPR
First Aid
Firefight on commercial vessel

AND

Being Danish I even have a 10 digit CPR-number

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I'm certified CPR & first aid: it's a requirement for my job. I also carry a 25 person first-aid kit in my truck.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
My official certification expired this month, actually. I have the book though. I have used first aid many times in the public. I saved the life of a diabetic in shock and an Old man who probably had a stroke (which I was just about to perform CPR on just as the ambulance arrived. I didn't notice until a paramedic came up to me and touched me, I was so focused).

A couple years ago I went fishing with my dad up north (2 hours away from the nearest town with a hospital) and even though I was wearing a hat and towel over my shoulders I got severe heat stroke. My dad saved my life. He gave me electrolytes (taste like salt water, I wanted to throw up each sip I took so I chased it with more water lol). He also got my to lay down under a tree where it was breezy and took my towel and dumped it in the lake, brought it back and put it on my head and told me to keep drinking. I was so bad I wasn't sweating at all and l was hallucinating. But after drinking the electrolytes I immediately started to feel better.

I will only re certify myself if I will find an employer that will help me pay for it. The course is over $100. You'd think the Red Cross would make it more affordable to save lives

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
My dad was in the british armed forces, we were posted to cyprus, we lived around 400 yards from the shoreline, beautiful beaches, i was eight years old, a little while after my ninth birthday i had learned to swim, and had taken the RLSS (Royal Life Saving Societies) examination, this involved learning how to rescue a drowning swimmer, and CPR.
I know the method has changed slightly a few times over the years, but i have made the effort to stay abreast of modern best practice.
so yes since i was about 9years and a few months old.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I was on the Canadian ski patrol and it was an extensive first aid and CPR coarse , my employer also requires that I have first aid CPR and hazardous waste training .

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
many years ago, as a result of being naughty, i had to attend what is known as an 'attendance centre', or 'scrubs' as we called it. this was one day each weekend when we had to go to some government building and listen to phooey lectures and, among other things, learn basic CPR (on a dummy).

i have long since forgotten the technique...

edit on 21/5/12 by RoScoLaz because: repetition

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I was certified two different times in the past but I suppose dying has changed now so my knowledge is obsolete.

Yep. It went from 4 to 1, to 8 to 1, to 25 to 1, and now it is basically breath-less CPR they teach these days. Just rhythmically pound on the victim's chest and hope help arrives before you die from exhaustion alongside the victim.

I wouldn't just stand by and do nothing either, but I think the CPR they teach these days is kind of like the old bomb raid drills. Crawl under your desk, put your head between your knees, and kiss your ass goodbye because it ain't gonna make a bit of difference, LOL!

The classes actually are useful just because of the practical experience of pushing on the dummy. It takes more pressure than one would imagine, and you get tired much faster than one would imagine. Everyone ought to try it out on the dummy at least once before they need the real skills.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

First let me say thank you to all the members who either have active/current CPR cards or make sure they remember how to perform it in case of emergencies. For those who do not, it could certainly prove to be a valuable skill to know for both yourself, and others.

My CPR card(s) has/have not expired since I was 12. My CPR card(s) have been current since 1984. I'm not sure of how many times I have used it successfully, but it is in the triple digits I am sure. As for unsuccessfully there have been a few times, all of which were complicated due to other variables like response time to scene, additional medical issues, or severe trauma.

CPR Current ✓
CPR Instructor ✓
EMT ✓

& 11 years worth of additional military & fire sciences training, & on job training including four years deployed to warzones. ✓

But if it is all the same with everyone else.... Can we please NOT let the poo poo doo doo hit the rotating oblonged blades?
edit on 21-5-2012 by ILikeStars because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

The classes actually are useful just because of the practical experience of pushing on the dummy. It takes more pressure than one would imagine, and you get tired much faster than one would imagine. Everyone ought to try it out on the dummy at least once before they need the real skills.

Agreed. If you've never done it, you would be really surprised at the effort that it takes in just a short period of time.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by therealdemoboy

Agreed. If you've never done it, you would be really surprised at the effort that it takes in just a short period of time.

Mine's expired right now but I've had advanced certification and instructor certification for many, many years.
I've used it a few times IRL too. Not fun.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
CPR/First Aid, yes. The state department of Labor and Industries (You know, the branch of Washington state government that monopolizes industrial insurance, therefore making it cost a fortune to be a contractor) requires all employers and foremen to have it. It is extremely useful when necessary in any situation.

A poster above mentioned EMT courses as well. I have long yearned to give back by serving as a Firefighter/EMT. Just two years ago I registered for the course at a local CC. I was disappointed to learn that a requirement to even start the course was that you have to receive about every darn vaccination possible.

My immune system is quite healthy, and I refuse to create a vaccine dependency. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

So, every two years I renew. If anyone is looking into taking a course you can also check with the local Fire Dept. Out here they are free, one Saturday out of each month.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Originally posted by rickymouse

Yep. It went from 4 to 1, to 8 to 1, to 25 to 1, and now it is basically breath-less CPR they teach these days. Just rhythmically pound on the victim's chest and hope help arrives before you die from exhaustion alongside the victim.

Actually I believe there was a time when the ratios were also 10 to 1, 12 to 1, and 15 to 1. Maybe not all through the Red Cross requirements though, sometimes the Red Cross's standards and the American Heart Association standards/recommendations were not the same.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join