It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An unusual tree called Jaboticaba

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+60 more 
posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I find this tree and it's fruit amazing for a couple reasons. I'm a huge fan of FOOD. I'm always looking for new and exotic foods to sample, and the Jaboticaba tree and it's fruit are a something that I had never heard of before. The fact that the fruit grows directly on the tree is an interesting aspect that I have not heard of before, and the tree's flowers are rather beautiful.

I would love to attempt to grow one of these trees, but my location wouldn't be suitable.

I look forward to trying this exotic fruit, and I thought I would share this unusual find for those who have a passion for different foods like I do, and also to share the beauty of nature to be found in this wonderful tree.

Source

An unusual tree called JABOTICABA, on which fruit grow directly on the trunk.

The plant is also known as Brazilian grape tree. It grows in Portugal, Argentina and, mostly, as is obvious from the title in Brazil. The juicy purple fruit can break and eat straight from the tree.

You will need patience if you want to get one of these trees in their area. It grows 100 years, but when it reaches maturity, it is worth the effort.

Twice a year the tree flowers appear. They look like little strange alien creatures, nestled in the branches and trunk. The peculiarity of the appearance of colors directly on the trunk or stem of the plant instead of growing new shoots called “kaulifloriya.”

en.wikipedia.org...

The Jabuticaba (Myrciaria cauliflora (Mart.) O.Berg.) (also called Brazilian Grape Tree, Jaboticaba, Jabotica, Guaperu, Guapuru, Hivapuru, Sabará and Ybapuru) is a fruit-bearing tree in the family Myrtaceae native to Minas Gerais in southeastern Brazil grown for the purple, grape-like fruits it produces. Other related species in the genus Myrciaria, often referred to by the same common name, are native to Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, and Bolivia. The fruit is purplish black, with a white pulp; it can be eaten raw or be used to make jellies and drinks (plain juice or wine).

Commercial cultivation of the fruit in the Northern Hemisphere is more restricted by extremely slow growth and the short shelf-life of fruit than by temperature requirements. Grafted plants may bear fruit in 5 years; seed grown trees may take 10 to 20 years to bear fruit, though their slow growth and small size when immature make them popular as bonsai or container ornamental plants in temperate regions

More Information

If anyone has tried these, I would love to know how they taste, and where I might be able to find some. These certainly aren't available locally here, and have a short shelf-life, but maybe there is a source that can ship them.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Wow, that's so strange. I guess it's evolved this way due to the fruit being so accessible and therefore seeds spreading easily. I love the weird things nature spits out.

It would be a bit messy to climb though...
edit on 21-5-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Amazing looking tree. S&F

I would love to taste this fruit! It looks so juicy. It seems like a plum ... Nice and Juicy.

Well that's until people start spraying it and ruining it

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
that tree's got balls!

second

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Thanks very much for posting S & F for you!....I am guessing the fruit would be really expensive to try / buy...

Its really something isn't it?

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
It's a tribble tree, that's what it is!

Dammit Jim! I'm a doctor, not a botanist.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Heres 40 more odd fruit that are fascinating. Listverse doesn't give massive explanations but its good for finding new stuff. Miracle fruit is something that I've always wanted to try. You can eat lemons and they taste sweet while under the influence of miracle fruit.

listverse (1)
listverse (2)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
it always seems to me like brazil is some alien land, there are always some weird fruits and nuts coming out of there I've never even heard of

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigBruddah
reply to post by isyeye

Heres 40 more odd fruit that are fascinating. Listverse doesn't give massive explanations but its good for finding new stuff. Miracle fruit is something that I've always wanted to try. You can eat lemons and they taste sweet while under the influence of miracle fruit.

listverse (1)
listverse (2)

cherimoya is SOO GOODD, i wish i had a tree soo bad. it's like condensed milk in a fruit

link   

They look like little strange alien creatures, nestled in the branches and trunk

Spot on observation, very keen and spot on.

/sarcasm

I like the tree, but the description annoyed me.

link   
reply to post by wlord

always some weird fruits and nuts coming out of there

You are talking about the trees, aren't you...?

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by wlord

i don't get your joke

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by wlord

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by wlord

i don't get your joke

You should visit Rio De Janeiro.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Here's a video showing the Jaboticaba tree.

Below is a site that sells and ships the fruit (although out of stock at the moment).

They are $128.00 for a six pound box!!!!!!....WOW....

www.localharvest.org...

edit on 21-5-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Thanks for posting that vid. In the pictures there is no reference to the size of the fruit and that vid answered the question for me.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by BigBruddah

That was so cool. What a great thing for my 12 yro to fantasize about... He was going on and on about each weird and wonderful fruit if he could take it to school lunches, lol. Fun, thanks.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Its cancer infected tree!
You have been warned

Seriously, first thing on my mind - the fruit edible ?, I would not dare to eat it if I saw the tree first.
Thanks for the info, marked as edible.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Did he mention Cherimoya yet?

Mark Twain called the cherimoya "the most delicious fruit known to men."

The fruit is fleshy and soft, sweet, white in color, with a sherbet-like texture, which gives it its secondary name, custard apple.

Some characterize the flavor as a blend of banana, pineapple, papaya, peach, and strawberry. Others describe it as tasting like commercial bubblegum.

Yes, I think your son deserves this!

ETA Oh and er...cool post OP! Scary looking though, imho but I get scared easy and run from even small spiders.

edit on 21/5/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I'm originally from Brazil and I used to eat these all the time when I was kid. Juice and jelly are great. I can't think of anything to compare the taste to, but it's really good.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
One of my favorite fruits growing up as a child. You can make wine and jelly from the fruits.
They are delicious. I could possibly grow one here in south florida, but because it takes so long to fruit at first I opted against it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join