It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does Everyone Hate...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
...Twilight?

Why? Why all the hate?

I'm genuinely curious as to whether there is any intellectual processes going on in this book-bashing bononza that has reduced the series to an ashen pile of ridicule.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I don't care either way as I'm not a vampire lover but the thought process is that they ruined the image of vampires. Got to admit though I nearly fell asleep in the first movie.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
They ruined vampires.

No need for a second line, the truth can be summed up in that one line.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I found the books interesting, but poorly written. I read them all though, so what does that say about me?

I think the majority of people just like to trash Twilight because it lets them feel superior about something.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I don't know about the books, but the movies killed it for me because of casting. The casting suited the characters though... so... Maybe it did just suck. Not in the vampire way.

link   
Alright. So what I'm getting so far is "they ruined vampires".

Well, here's my response to that: You want to go to the movies and set an example for little kids by showing a bunch of people running around and drinking blood and killing innocent civilians, topped off by the cliche fight (which uses a simple stake...how laughable) and everyone goes home happy because the "bad guys" lost.

Instead of the alternative, where the most vicious of creatures turns out to actually be intelligent, and have morals as well. It's almost as though we're being encouraged to view things we think are inferior and deserve to die in a more positive and welcoming light.

But no, we can't have that, can we? Blood and guts forever!

You guys have proven that there is no hope for humanity. Hasn't there been enough violence already?

link   
reply to post by boncho

I'll give you that one.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Certainly possible, but not for me.

Growing up with all of the horror creations, I became very fond of vampires. Something very attracting about them. Now, when you have a pretty solid 'standard' for vampires, it makes any change to it questionable, and hard to accept.

I am fine with an individuals take on a certain subject, but don't change it so much that it doesn't resemble what you are drawing from in the first place.

Vampires do not like sunlight and they don't freaking sparkle!

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

whoa whoa whoa now.

Just because we don't want vampires changed into little sparkling pansies, doesn't mean we want more violence for the world.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Simply put, it isn't True Blood.
It's the antithesis of True Blood.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Daemonicon

Just because we don't want vampires changed into little sparkling pansies,

Let's have a look at that. The vampires have diamond-hard skin. Naturally, anything with a diamond texture will react to light just like diamonds. Continuity, you know? Now...pansies, eh? Wrestling grizzly bears and taking on mountain lions sounds like the average day for a pansy to me. Not to mention the fact that they still drink blood.

They just don't attack humans. And that's what bothers you, yes? The fact that vampires didn't wage war on humans. That's what the other vampire movies gave you, and I'm sure you enjoyed those a lot. But this one didn't, and you're saying it ruined vampires. Doesn't take a mathematician to figure that one out. Sickening.

doesn't mean we want more violence for the world.

Say what now?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Because true blood is all about wars.

Because we all want, and need, more wars.

Once again, the violence factor. Don't you ever get sick of it? The plot, yes. But the plot doesn't make the movie gay.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

it's vampirism/lycanthropy lite with PC®
for emos and furfags

anybody who's read anne rice should be offended

notice how "gay" it all is?
ever see caligula?
the scene when his sister dies:
and ooooh "how he loved her"
never mind their true relationship was a pretty sick one
we're supposed to feel sorry for a/the monster

remember, in hollywood secret symbolism
vampires=bankers and other kind of parasites=bloodsuckers
zombies=brainless masses/consumers/roboticized humans
were-people=people who've been animalized/bestial

of course in the all to real realm of the occult such beings are all too real
and nothing like hollywood portrays them

one has only to watch a movie based on ancient myth to see how they twist/rewrite the myth
into something completely different

Disclaimer i have nothing against lgbt folk or were-folk/otherkin.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Thank you for that incredibly honest answer.

I swear, Smylee, you're a breath of fresh air in a hot, sweaty room of egos and exalted opinions.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

By that logic, any person who enjoys any movie with any 'questionable' content, wants the same for their world?

Pretty sure we read story books and watch fictional movies to ESCAPE reality, not to wish and will it to BE our reality.

I have never harmed another person, and I watch all of the horror movies.

I'm sorry but I cannot accept the premise to your argument.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq
I don't care either way as I'm not a vampire lover but the thought process is that they ruined the image of vampires. Got to admit though I nearly fell asleep in the first movie.

indeed vampires follow the oligarchic principal

lestat's savage garden philosophy is an elaboration of it

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Vampires are supposed to be the enemy. That's the whole point. In recent years see Blade and Underworld. They are not supposed to be warm and cuddly. Nice vampires are more like Scary Gary. OK for comics but not for movies/TV.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

it's vampirism/lycanthropy lite with PC®
for emos and furfags

Again, because there's less fighting, right? More compassion and possibility for coexistence and even pairing of humans and vampires. No segregation, no conflict.

And that really just jerks at your chain, doesn't it?

notice how "gay" it all is?

Interesting how I mentioned the movie not being "gay" and you jumped right in without prompting. Says a lot, doesn't it?

we're supposed to feel sorry for a/the monster

Who says vampires are monsters? You want a monster? Look at your own species. The one that doesn't drink blood.

Disclaimer i have nothing against lgbt folk or were-folk/otherkin.

Mhm...

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Daemonicon

Pretty sure we read story books and watch fictional movies to ESCAPE reality

Then why do you want more violence and less romance?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I have to agree that the author of Twilight completely ruined the entire image of vampires and werewolves, twisting the myth and legend of the two into something that they certainly were never intended to be portrayed as being. For some, the disgust of Twilight goes even deeper since both entities portrayed in the book and movies are actually derived from ancient religious beliefs. To romanticize vampires to the extent of portraying them as cute, lovable creatures who are simply misunderstood is, for some, synonymous with the romanticization of Satan.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join