It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother kills son for interrupting facebook game.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
This pretty much speaks for itself. Link.

What's going on in this world today, you can't even walk down the street without seeing atleast 50% of people glued to a blackberry or facebook mobile.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Who kills over virtual crops?

Crazy world we live in ehhh?

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Her face seems to reflect her intelligence level I think.
Wasn't Anonymous suppose to shut FB down by now? They could have saved this child's life by doing so. That's a sad fact.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Before this turns into another "everything modern is evil and video games come from hell" tirade can we assume, that she's a crazy drug addict (at least looks like on the picture) and that was the main reason for her sick behaviour?
thanks

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
If this were the 90s she'd have come unglued over her son ruining her DigiPet.
If this were the 80s she'd have come unglued over her son peeling stickers off her Rubik's Cube.

Point is this lady was clearly already predisposed to acting like this and all this behavior required was a trigger. It has nothing to do with Facebook or Farmville or any other modern distraction. Crazy people are crazy.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
This actually happened back in 2010. She even got sentenced in Feb. 2011.
m.jacksonville.com...

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

Yeah I hope it doesnt go that way too I love technology, who doesn't
This is a tad too far though, killing over a game.. No child deserves to die even in the best of conditions.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by shadowcat

Thanks for that
I only just heard about it a couple of hours ago.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by fairguy
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

Yeah I hope it doesnt go that way too I love technology, who doesn't
This is a tad too far though, killing over a game.. No child deserves to die even in the best of conditions.

I've seen a fair number of stories similar to this, though I'm not in a position to find any just now.

One was something about a guy beating his toddler daughter to death for tripping over and unplugging an Xbox controller or something.

Again, it has nothing to do with modern entertainment and everything to do with people coming unglued for no particular reason. Crap like this has always happened, the triggers now are just different.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by CuriousCosmos

Exactly, if it was the 1920's it would be because the kid unplugged the radio or something. The worrying thing is how easily people let material things get in the way of practically anything, in this case her own child.

Worrying how some minds work.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Yeah this story was from 2010. I remember reading it because it happened one month after my son was born.

Games/internet can be so very addicting to some people. As a mother I can say that at times the unrelenting shreaking of a baby can really be nerve racking and make you want to go completely crazy. Especially if you're alone all day with no one to give you a break. Add to that an addicting video game and it's a recipe for disaster.

I used to game a bit, things like WoW, etc before my son was born. However I quickly realized that my annoyance level sky rocketed while playing the game because it is so deeply immersive, and if baby starts crying it's almost a feeling of anger that arises because of the interruption. After I felt that I decided to quit completely because nothing is more important than my son.

When she started feeling like like she was getting close to that "I feel like I"m going to go crazy" point (which most parents know what I am talking about), that is the time she should have stepped away from her computer/game completely, took a time out for herself. Maybe gone to take a shower, if the baby was safe in a crib where he could not hurt himself. Crying won't kill a baby, but angry shaking from an angry, annoyed mother will.

While I have no first hand knowledge of the woman I doubt she was evil and hated her baby or anything like that. Just a very unfortunate circumstance and an addiction she refused to take control of and it escalated out of control. I believe when I read about the story before she was extremely sorry for what happened.

So sad.

edit on 14-5-2012 by seeker11 because:additions

edit on 14-5-2012 by seeker11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
This is not about facespace or anything else than a stupid person that would have killed her child anyway.
This is what happens when you have bad genes.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by seeker11

Very level headed

Some people could learn from others like yourself rather than staring at a virtual farm/mafia/whatever all day.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by fairguy

This story is nearly 2 years old. Not relevant and I'm sure it's already been posted.

I'm sure the woman who committed this crime has paid for it, no?

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Well myself and others had not seen or heard of it before, can you give your definition of relevance on a website like this?

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
There's a lot of angles to this to figure out what this story really means for our society in the 21st century.

I first think to if this was done because of a game on facebook. Another post mentions if it wasn't farmville, it would have been the rubik's cube in the 80's or what have you...

I do get this point, but wonder if this was merely a trigger that would have been available by a different route in a different generation. Are the triggers more intense these days, or more prevalent? If so or even if not, are there other environmental pressures which contribute to a ceiling of being "triggered" being lowered or raised? ...such as a poor diet leading to nutritional deficiencies leading to an improperly working body, leading to high cortisol/stress

The way all this works out is still up to debate. Does the media just choose to focus on the worst and best to make their ratings? Do we simply have more people with which to choose the most insane to highlight?

I think it's a little bit of everything, sprinkled into one poo sandwich and consumed by Joemerica.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker11
Yeah this story was from 2010. I remember reading it because it happened one month after my son was born.

Games/internet can be so very addicting to some people. As a mother I can say that at times the unrelenting shreaking of a baby can really be nerve racking and make you want to go completely crazy. Especially if you're alone all day with no one to give you a break. Add to that an addicting video game and it's a recipe for disaster.

I used to game a bit, things like WoW, etc before my son was born. However I quickly realized that my annoyance level sky rocketed while playing the game because it is so deeply immersive, and if baby starts crying it's almost a feeling of anger that arises because of the interruption. After I felt that I decided to quit completely because nothing is more important than my son.

When she started feeling like like she was getting close to that "I feel like I"m going to go crazy" point (which most parents know what I am talking about), that is the time she should have stepped away from her computer/game completely, took a time out for herself. Maybe gone to take a shower, if the baby was safe in a crib where he could not hurt himself. Crying won't kill a baby, but angry shaking from an angry, annoyed mother will.

While I have no first hand knowledge of the woman I doubt she was evil and hated her baby or anything like that. Just a very unfortunate circumstance and an addiction she refused to take control of and it escalated out of control. I believe when I read about the story before she was extremely sorry for what happened.

So sad.

edit on 14-5-2012 by seeker11 because:additions

I had the exact same thing happen to me except I was addicted to playing Starcraft. I literally had to be dragged out my chair cause I was already in labor and didn't want to quit my 4vs4 Battlenet game. I couldnt wait to recover from giving birth so I could come back and play. When I did, I literally had one hand breasfeeding the kid and the other on the mouse back to my game. I realized that it was an addiction and I stopped cold turkey.

I honestly think Facebook is the root of all evil. Nothing good comes out of it especially when it comes to relationships. Or parenting for that matter

edit on 14-5-2012 by blackmetalmist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

I agree with much of what you say, I myself was saying how this could have happened in much earlier years but I dont think anyone can deny that there are far more triggers available which lead to this kind of behaviour nowadays than there were in the 20's, 30's, even the 80's.

Also understand the people saying "oh she was crazy, crazy is crazy" and all that stuff, but if she weren't glued to a game all day she may have found the time to spend with her son, and maybe even have got that "craziness" looked at.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by blackmetalmist

Wow, guess we're not all bad

Thanks for posting and welldone for putting parenthood before something like this.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by blackmetalmist

Also as you say, nothing good at all comes from facebook, it has given me so much unnecessary grief you wouldn't even believe.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join