It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitter Censors Worldwide Trending in Minutes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Wasn't sure about this until I just witnessed it actually happen. Would've put it in general conspiracies but seeing as it's a fact and not a conspiracy, and it's "social media", have put it in here.

The hash topic was #OpWakeUp, it reached 3 or 4 on worldwide trending, then was gone completely within 15 minutes as far as I remember. YourAnonNews started it, and seeing as the account has over 500k followers and people wanted to talk about what woke them up, it started trending quickly.

So Twitter just proved that people moderate worldwide trending topics, censor them within minutes if need be, and that they'd rather not have people know what's going on. So maybe they just want people talking crap all the time, and that's actually why worldwide trends are so stupid on there. It's not because people are talking about crap all the time on there, it's because they edit the topics to make it look like that.

Here's a pic of a few tweets I pasted together :

And here's the topic on twitter if you want to have a read. There's still plenty of people talking, and it's good to read about what woke them up, even though twitter doesn't seem to like it. Check real time for most results, obviously :

Top tweets : #OpWakeUp - Top

Real time tweets : #OpWakeUp - Real Time
edit on 12-5-2012 by robhines because: typo

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

15e.) Recruitment/Solicitation:
i) You will not use your membership in the Websites for any type of recruitment to any causes whatsoever. You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to disseminate advertisements, chain letters, petitions, pyramid schemes, or any kind of solicitation for political action, social action, letter campaigns, or related online and/or offline coordinated actions of any kind.

Terms and Conditions of Use

edit on Sat May 12 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

15e.) Recruitment/Solicitation:
i) You will not use your membership in the Websites for any type of recruitment to any causes whatsoever. You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to disseminate advertisements, chain letters, petitions, pyramid schemes, or any kind of solicitation for political action, social action, letter campaigns, or related online and/or offline coordinated actions of any kind.

Terms and Conditions of Use

edit on Sat May 12 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

IF YOU KNOW A SITE IS CENSORING THEN DONT SUPPORT IT!!

Why do you use those crappy sites? People claim they are awake but do not do any thing about it. You can start by canceling your membership and never going back to that site because its made to spy on you. Your willingly giving them information about your self. Now you say, I do not mind because I do not post any thing personal. But thats what they expected. The information you have provided is enough. It makes me so mad....
Even just by visiting that site your bringing them money, more money to censor YOU!!! So not only are you giving spys information about your self your basically giving them money as well.

Same with food, not only are you letting them poison you, you are paying to be poisoned.
Educate your self and really think about your decisions, how they effect others. The butterfly effect, a butterfly can flap its wings and cause a hurricane half way across the world.

A person can go to a site and make a bunch of evil men billions of dollars and information they should not have. Sure you can network and organize on these sites but you really do not need them to do so.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

Unfortunately almost all social media sites these days are guilty of censoring or doing unscrupulous things with your personal data. Even Google have their dark side, despite their "Don't be evil" stance. If we were to boycott any site that acted in such a way then we may as well just give up our internet access altogether.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by robhines

Sorry, please excuse my ignorance, but as an older person who just speaks plain English... what on earth does #opwakeup mean or stand for? and why would twitter sensor it?

The only thing i can see is that some of the people using this quote/comment/tag seem to be sympathetic to either occupy or the anonymous group.

In case this comes across as sarcasm, it’s not!! I really am that out of touch with all this fangled social networking malarkey

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Twitter does do that to a degree but they also fight in court for their users privacy so there's good and bad. I love Twitter personally there's been a lot accomplished because of it.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster

Sorry, please excuse my ignorance, but as an older person who just speaks plain English... what on earth does #opwakeup mean or stand for? and why would twitter sensor it?

No probs! Think of Twitter as like a forum site but with no forums, and the users create the forums via hashtags. (# then whatever subject name.)

So for example, say as a Liverpool football/soccer fan I wanted to speak about Liverpool winning 3-0, and Suarez had scored a goal. I could say : "Glad #Suarez scored again as #Liverpool won 3-0!"

Then in the twitter search box I could type in either #Suarez or #Liverpool and see what all the other twitter users around the world had to say about the same thing, provided they used the # symbol before Liverpool, or Suarez.

Then if there's enough people using the same tag the topic will trend either locally or worldwide. The trending box is a list on the left side of the twitter page, and you can either select a country, major city or worldwide.

#OpWakeUp was made by a member of Anonymous, they often title the things they want to deal with as an Op for Operation. So Op(eration) Wake Up was a chance to see how other people woke up to how messed up things are, and at the same time use the tag, which had trended worldwide within half an hour, to raise awareness so others could read about the subject. It lasted about 15 minutes and would've probably gone to the number 1 spot in world wide trends, but Twitter removed it from the trending list. This meant that others couldn't see it unless they were friends with/following a user who'd also used the same tag and read one of their messages to see it, instead of simply being able to look at the trending topics to see it at the top.

I'm tired and could've probably explained that easier, but hope that helped!
edit on 12-5-2012 by robhines because: typo

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Oh i see... well explained, thank you

Believe it or not i do use twitter and have always wondered what the # was for... now i understand it make perfect sense

I dont like the idea of censorship in this way and it is a concern when social networking is abused in this manner. However, it doesn’t surprise me... Google/facebook/twitter etc... they are all corporate organisations that primarily have their own interest at the forefront of all else.

Having said that, Anonymous also concern me... "we do not forgive, we do not forget" little bit #Aleister Crowley for my taste

It seems to me that the only way the world will ever change is if people wake up from their corporate induced sleep, and Anonymous are trying to do that... However, if they replace one evil philosophy with another... well, whats the point?

Peace

edit on 13-5-2012 by Muckster because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster
Having said that, Anonymous also concern me... "we do not forgive, we do not forget" little bit #Aleister Crowley for my taste

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I like Anonymous a lot, but have never resonated with the "we do not forgive" part. I think it's partly to make people they're against stop and think in a way, but yeah, would be cool if they could change that. It's probably a bit late to pull that off though without a pretty serious effort!

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Twitter + Facebook = Control

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Just because twitter censored it, doesn't mean it will stop anything

Also I find the first 2 replies (moderated) ironic given the nature of the thread

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
great quote:

"When I imagine how small Earth is compared to the universe it allows me to feel closer to all humans"
thats brilliant.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

The funny thing is the site (Twitter) has been a proven censorship-haven and yet all of those morons still keep going there to complain about it. At that point, I'd consider finding a new way to talk to my friends lol. Some people just love kicking a dead dog.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I don't and won't have a twitter account. Maybe those 500k should close their accounts to protest the censoring.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity

IF YOU KNOW A SITE IS CENSORING THEN DONT SUPPORT IT!!

Why do you use those crappy sites? People claim they are awake but do not do any thing about it. You can start by canceling your membership and never going back to that site because its made to spy on you. Your willingly giving them information about your self. Now you say, I do not mind because I do not post any thing personal. But thats what they expected. The information you have provided is enough. It makes me so mad....
Even just by visiting that site your bringing them money, more money to censor YOU!!! So not only are you giving spys information about your self your basically giving them money as well.

Same with food, not only are you letting them poison you, you are paying to be poisoned.
Educate your self and really think about your decisions, how they effect others. The butterfly effect, a butterfly can flap its wings and cause a hurricane half way across the world.

A person can go to a site and make a bunch of evil men billions of dollars and information they should not have. Sure you can network and organize on these sites but you really do not need them to do so.

well untill there is a anon social site which would make no sense at all unless it could protect its users from prying eyes.
twitter is used by millions it makes sense to use it to reach the most number of people
edit on 13-5-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
just tweet under any random name or account. There are people with thousands if not tens of thousands of active accounts, so its rather easy but skill is also required so as you wont burn your accounts when you begin trending a topic. As for censoring, heck, show me a single media outlet that does not censor its channel and that also includes major websites. Its called " doing business "

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Apart from complaining about it - which is good as it raises awareness

There are other ways to show companies like facebook and twitter that acts like this should not be tolerated - Perhaps they did not expect us

Operation Face Flood NOW initiated.
Operation Delete Face book NOW initiated.
Operation Kill Face book NOW initiated.

May 1st to THE END we will all make our presence known

Source

edit on 14-5-2012 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   

We are a legion
We do not forgive
We do not forget
Facebook, you should have expected us!

AnonNews

The very same applies to Twitter.....

Edit;

Wow I would also like to add that less than 2 minutes after posting this reply I had a pleasant DDoS attack which knocked out my internet for almost five minutes...

Irony

Just a tip to anyone out there - Watch your network traffic

edit on 14-5-2012 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join