It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Government backs bill to allow police to arrest masked protesters

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I found this kind of shocking. They say that people wearing masks can get five years in jail, are they serious. It's on the grounds of giving the police more power to prevent highly damaging protests. It seems a bit overdoing it.
I hope it goes nowhere.

edmonton.ctv.ca...

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by connorromanow

I wonder how long such a law would be in effect for before someone abused it.

I could see the headlines now.

"Clown arrested in Canadian protest for concealing true identity".

"Old lady claims "Mutton dressed up as lamb" defence when arrested for wearing mask in protest".

Cue Boncho

edit on 6/5/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

I can only imagine what the the anonymous protesters would say

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
This cannot be real, can it?

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Some added info:

src

brill

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by JailTales

Depends if it gets passed

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Well, God Help Canadians if Halloween ever crosses dates with a major protest. A Halloween group could stumble into it and all get 5 years a piece!

I know Canadians are freedom loving people in the true sense...not the media concept. That government up there though...
It's getting as bad or WORSE in some domestic ways, than ours!

It sounds like North America as a whole needs to throw leaders off the coasts to swim somewhere else while everyone fixes their corners of the place. This is such a mess! Masks are a felony with *NO* other crime now? Wow.....

Da Comrade Prime Minister. Da. (Salute!)

edit on 6-5-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I'm kind of curious - COULD sunglasses be construed as "masks"?

I'm just imaging how controlling they could stretch this law to be.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Im assuming its geared toward the anon crown but technically muslim women would be violating it as well; no?

On a side note, didn't the "President" (or whoever he was) in V for Vendetta also ban wearing the masks on the streets... hhhmmmm....

How many coincidents does it take to make two items/scenerios identical?

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by 1plusXisto7billion

Never thought about it in that way, but I think that is a valid point

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I see this as acceptable if they are arresting rioters on sight for wearing a mask.
but masking your identity at a protest can be warranted due to the repurcussions these days of your political affiliations.

in the ends its more likely just additional draconian measures and a political overstatement to deter anyone from partaking in anti-government activities, which are more likely to escalate as many factors begin to coincide.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

It sounds like North America as a whole needs to throw leaders off the coasts to swim somewhere else while everyone fixes their corners of the place.

Da Comrade Prime Minister. Da. (Salute!)

edit on 6-5-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

I don't know if I really agree with this. Every time I hear this suggestion, I remember a story I read as a freshman in high school. Its called Animal Farm and Im sure everyone on this site has read it.

Really, I'm kind of speechless when it comes to all these new laws being preposed/passed. I can definately see scenerios where these laws would be beneficial but at the same time, I can see them over abused and unjust.

So the question I keep asking myself is "Why are the people in power proposing such laws and what/how are they going to be used?" Seriously, what type of world do you, the reader of my post, envision they (the people in power) are trying to create or prevent? Personally, I try to stay optimistic and wanna believe these laws are in place as a defense instead of an offensive weapon.

Back to the quote... If we get ride of the people in power and allow new, "untainted" people to fill those positions, whats to say that they wouldn't learn the 'full' story and feel these laws need to be in place. No matter what, I believe we will always disapprove of what the government does unless we have the full story and unfortunately we will never have the full story. Again my optimistic side wants to believe its so the enemies are mislead and not the citizens. So live as a citizen and not an enemy and you should be fine.

If you disagree with something and wanna protest it, do it openly without a mask. Unless the secret service is there in which case its still a felony and your screwed... I'll admit, I think that laws garbage and shouldn't pass. The only reason I can see this being proposed is because felons can NOT vote. Maybe that is their way of keeping certain types of people from voting.
edit on 6-5-2012 by 1plusXisto7billion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by 1plusXisto7billion

You make some good points here. Protesting without a mask, on the surface, sounds easy enough and a no brainer. I'd listened to this suggested during Occupy last year down here, as well. That was being suggested specifically to strip people of their Guy Fawkes masks. I'd say..it's not entirely black and white though, At least 2 situations present themselves as legitimate reasons for it.

First, what if the mask is the symbol of the protest? Guy Fawkes is a spooky mask to me that I still have real odd feelings about seeing. I can't even put words to it better than that. It's a deep sense of ..unease. It shouldn't be...but there it is. All that to say, I don't like them and I'd be happy to see them banned. What I'd like to see...doesn't matter though, and shouldn't. The mask represented the movement and to some degree, still does. It's the Symbol of Anonymous first, but the guys in camp wearing those to the actions weren't Anonymous and never claimed it....just showing Solidarity.

Second is a protest of a whole different nature where hiding identities may be very important... What about picketing a company with heavy handed policies about retribution? What if that is the object of the protest?

I guess I just come at it thinking that I should never be in a position to justify my actions or desire for how I want to DO those things if I'm within the laws. Passing entirely NEW ones just for behavior which is in no way violent or harmful to others doesn't suddenly change that, does it? We're reaching the point where we aren't even asking why we should explain ourselves to Government. We just debate on how MUCH explaining should be proper.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
1. I see this as acceptable if they are arresting rioters on sight for wearing a mask.
but masking your identity at a protest can be warranted due to the repurcussions these days of your political affiliations.

- Not really an issue in Canada. We have free speech and all that don't you know...

Originally posted by yourmaker
in the ends its more likely just additional draconian measures and a political overstatement to deter anyone from partaking in anti-government activities, which are more likely to escalate as many factors begin to coincide.

- I fully support the measure. If protesters have no intention of causing trouble and just want a peaceful protest then they have nothing to worry about if their faces are shown. Imo, those that want to hide their identity have come prepared to create problems.

- We Canadians fully endorse your right to legally and peacefully protest against the government. Peaceful protesters have no reason to fear their anti-governement activities. Obey the law and you are safe.

If you don't agree, please show me an instance that contradicts this assertion.

edit on 7-5-2012 by palg1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I thinkl it's a good idea and the mask wearers should be shot on sight. That would lead top a lot less destruction. I have a business in town and if someone tries to destroy it thats my plan

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Stephen Harper should remove himself from office, the country and preferrably the planet.

By means of fire.

More civil liberty removals from our great Conservative Gov. Are you happy Canada? Is this what you wanted out of your majority?

I think not.

~Tenth

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

1. It they have a symbol then just print it on a sign or a t-shirt.

2. Canada has laws that protect employees who protest their employers, (even if they're heavy handed)
www.workrights.ca...www.e-laws.gov.on.ca...Discrimination because of association 12. A right under Part I is infringed where the discrimination is because of relationship, association or dealings with a person or persons identified by a prohibited ground of discrimination. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.19, s. 12.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

No such right exists to hide behind a mask when torching a police car, beating the crap out of counter protesters, or vandalizing a shop on Main Street.

Yes, I am VERY happy with what they are doing to protect me!
edit on 7-5-2012 by palg1 because: added comment

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Are you hiding your face behind that bubble, peon?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by palg1

I never stated it was ok to vandalize anything, but not having to identify yourself to police is your right you know.

There is nothing in the law that makes it so that you HAVE to identify yourself, unless arrested ( lawfully) for having done a crime.

You think this government wants to protect you, but that's not the case at all. They want to protect themselves from you.

~Tenth

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join