It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help with Meditation.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I try to meditate, but every time I can not sit comfortable. I tried to sit on my bed against the wall but I'm still not sitting comfortable and can not fully relax. Also, every time I try to meditate I have a lot of thoughts in my head, how can I get rid of these thoughts and get complete silence in my head? sort of like being in a zen state, total unawareness of the world around you.
My ultimate goal with meditation is to get calmer and more patient, and to look at the world differently, but I cannot come any further like this.
edit on 4-5-2012 by Jauk3 because: My English is not the greatest I know

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Jauk3

wish i could help i experience the same things! and i cannot remember my nighttime dreams or even if i tried to become lucid????

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Jauk3

Namaste.

Try just sitting in any position and looking inwards, invision in your mind looking within. Just follow your intuition and you will end up were you want to be.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Get a nice big good smelling candle and light it and sit in the dark with the candle. Just stare at it as long as you can. Whatever position is comfortable for you will work.

When you get all of these thoughts that won't shut off, keep thinking in your mind, calm, calm, calm.
Say it out loud over and over until that is all you hear.
It takes a lot of time sometimes to quiet the mind, it is one of the hardest things to do, but do not feel forced into calming yourself, just allow it to come to you. It will eventually happen, but it could take anywhere from 10 minutes to several weeks to do it. There is no simple way to shut off the mind.

It also helps to imagine a wash rag or damp towel in your mind and when the thoughts intrude, imagine wiping them away.

That is what worked for me, I hope it works for you.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I have had the same problems that you speak of. Here is the remedy:

Know that your mind is a very delicate tool. See the fact that you desire to meditate, and tell yourself you are going to quench that desire by performing this meditation.

First sit as you normally would. Second, plan how long you will meditate. Once you have a figure, set an alarm and stick to it. The reason you do this is so you dont have to worry about 'not meditating' because you are putting forth effort so long as you are on the clock. (yeah tricking the mind) So even if you are just beginning, what i am about to say is a very important truth. Meditating for the sake of meditating is better than not meditating at all. You are improving yourself in one way or another on some scale whether noticable or not, the act of meditating is a positive movement forward for yourself.

Once you have committed to a time set for meditating, begin a breathing exercise. Try 25 breaths, with 5 second inhilations and 5 second exhalations, at least. If you can extend it past 5 seconds, to 6-10 seconds, do so, but do not over exert yoruself. Realize that what you are doing, by timing your breath, and counting your breaths, and shooting for another goal, this time within the first goal (meditation itself). Realize that once you have been able to focus throughout your 25 breaths, this is a goal in itself. You may or may not notice that after the 25 breaths, you are not in the same state of being. I would describe it as highly oxygenated, mildly high. If you notice that you are not in the same state of being that you were before the breaths, welcome to meditation, you have just witnessed the movement of your.... consciousness?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jauk3
I try to meditate, but every time I can not sit comfortable. I tried to sit on my bed against the wall but I'm still not sitting comfortable and can not fully relax. Also, every time I try to meditate I have a lot of thoughts in my head, how can I get rid of these thoughts and get complete silence in my head? sort of like being in a zen state, total unawareness of the world around you.
My ultimate goal with meditation is to get calmer and more patient, and to look at the world differently, but I cannot come any further like this.

There are many ways you can meditate. Sitting down is perhaps one of the hardest because the body gets stiff and uncomfortable after a little while and that interrupts your inner awareness. Yoga (the body movements) was created to help the Yogi's sit for long periods without the body sensations getting in the way. So try yoga to alleviate that.

If you're just starting out then I would recommend going to a meditation class for a while to help you get in to a rythym. Trying to overcome the 'monkey mind' is no easy task. It takes practice and discipline.

Peace Out - Good Luck

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ronriley2003
reply to post by Jauk3

wish i could help i experience the same things! and i cannot remember my nighttime dreams or even if i tried to become lucid????

Just out of curiousity but why do people reply with comments like this? I mean seriously, like anyone cares that you can not help. Are you just trying to meet your reply quota or something?

ATS really should tighten the reply quota requirements.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Maybe the best way for you to meditate is to not meditate!

By that I mean forget about the word meditate, meditation, zen or anything you associate with what you are trying to do. It could be you are setting yourself an expectation that you must achieve something from meditation. Expectations can lead to disappointment or trying too hard and it may never work for you.

Instead of trying to "meditate", why not go and sit or lie down- what ever makes you comfortable. Relax into your position and breathe. Do nothing else but breathe. Feel the oxygen going in and out of your body. Breathe. Focus only on your breathing.

See how you go and enjoy what transpires.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
The purpose of meditation is to get an honest idea about where you are. This means that you focus on the close problems. You focus on the problems of the near future. You focus on the problems in the far future. What do you want? How does your current experience contribute or detract from what you want? Your purpose is to have happiness. Is your current experience providing that? If not, why? Do you believe that you should not have happiness? You are a powerful conciousness. We all are.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
No time right now but the point is to be very aware not unaware. Aware of the present moment.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I sit on my knees with a meditation bench under my butt. I find this the most comfortable as I have a hard time sitting with my legs crossed. You can also substitute the bench for a pillow or some other soft comfortable thing.

Here is how I learned to meditate -

You sit with your eyes closed, focused on breath
Thoughts come into your mind
You name them - there is anger, there is fear, there is delusion. There is that girl from class/work, there is that guy I hate, there is that car I want, etc.
You see these things, you notice them and you let them go. Focus your attention back on the breath.

You keep doing that until the thoughts become less bothersome. The thoughts never go away, this is what your mind does, you just change your relationship to them.

Try doing that for 5mins and work your way up.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Exactly. There is no time that is more important than the one that counts. The current experience is the one that counts. The present moment which goes then leads to the new present is the most important. Be present in awareness. That is the purpose of meditation. Be present and use this presence to establish wisdom for the future.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I have been meditating for nine years and this is the best article on meditation i ever read

www.kathodos.com...

meditation is not about chanting or relaxation techniques but is solely meant to access the antecedent light of the mind, which lies beyond the thoughts. Enjoy.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Hey there,

I'm no Master, but from what Ive learn't you need to be Patient. as you know. but if your having trouble with the thoughts, instead of getting annoyed or sucked in, just remember "patients"
the word will remind you to be more calm and focused.
Or look in Mantra chants. these word. or words help some people to focus on something or nothing by saying one word in there mind. doesn't have to be fast or slow, just how ever comfortable you feel saying it. I'm sorry but i don't have any links but you can easily google key words like Mantras and pray beads.

good luck

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Jauk3

Comfort is a major key to succeful meditation. Do you have a recliner? They were made for people who meditate. It reclines back to the exact angle you need to allow consciousness to flow through you. If you've ever meditated and felt that invisible force pulling your head up. Recliners take care of that by allowing your head to already be pointing to the cosmos.

Do you play computer or video games? If you are concentrating on a game. Your nto doing alot of thinking. Unloess ofcourse your playing something that you don't already know what to do. Do you play diablo? Stick your headphones in and play that game! Everybody mediates everyday and they don't know it.

You can meditate with your eyes open. Ever read the book Meditation by OSHO? It's pretty good. If no recliner and don't wanna play a game to get your mind focused. The try laying down before it's time to pass out.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Jauk3

The idea is not necessarily to directly stop the thoughts themselves. Its a bit like building a dam on a river, it can happen "effectively" but before it was built, while it was being built, and after it was built, the river had the same source.

Metaphor of course, with types of water diversion, erosion, etc.

In other words, you already are in a "Zen state" (whatever that is
) but your mind and its creation, thoughts, only exist as part of your being.

This is why so many may suggest breathing exercises, and perhaps even no-thing at all. When we focus on the breath itself, and not our thoughts about breathing, we can experience a distinct system. Individual, but not separate. This first step, when realized, is the start of recognizing how much more goes on in our bodies simultaneously alongside the thoughts. Co-dependent arising, or some such.

The dam could be seen as the "ego." Not necessarily a problem, unless one.. forgets the water gives form/purpose to the dam, as well as the other way around.

Then again, what do I know? The above only applies to my own experience, naturally. Perhaps you can find similarities that help you along your way, whatever that may be.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Jauk3

This may help you

I try to meditate, but every time I can not sit comfortable

Try a bean bag and some beer

I'm still not sitting comfortable and can not fully relax

More beer

Also, every time I try to meditate I have a lot of thoughts in my head, how can I get rid of these thoughts

Try some more beer

complete silence in my head? sort of like being in a zen state, total unawareness of the world around you.

This will need copious amounts of beer

My ultimate goal with meditation is to get calmer and more patient, and to look at the world differently

Beer and Rose Tinted Specs for this one

but I cannot come any further like this

You will find a lucid dream at the end of every beer
Well i could go on but i want a Beer now

Cran

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Jauk3, welcome to the start of a wonderful journey, that is what meditation is. Just like taking a trip you need to prepare first. I find it is best to set up a special place that you claim as your own, even if it only a pillow in the corner of a room. Make it comfortable and quiet, there is no reason why you can't sit in a chair if it helps, but try to be consistent.

My personal preference is to sit on a cushion so that my hips are higher than my knees, this also helps to straighten the spine. The legs don't have to be crossed, but find a position that is comfortable to stay in. Focusing on the breath, by inhaling through the nose and filling the lungs completely, this will cause the belly to expand. Then as you exhale the belly will contract, the slower you breath the easier it is to relax, slow the heart rate and calm the mind. Using a candle or object of interest is a good way of bring your attention into the moment and away from outside distractions. I would not stare at it, but rather soften your gaze by partially closing the eyes and allow the candle (or object) to blur in and out of focus. Start with only a few minutes per day and let your body dictate how long to meditate, like anything if you go at it with a frenzy you will only come to resent it and give up.

I also use a set of mala beads, a string of 108 seeds or beads with one larger, offset bead called a meru or guru bead. The easiest way to use it is to start with the bead beside the guru bead, inhaling on the first bead and exhaling on the next, working your way around until you reach the guru bead again and turning or stopping there. Guru bead is never passed over, or used in the practice. The use of the mala helps to occupy the mind and keep you in the moment. Once you have established a meditation practice using the beads the simple act of picking them up can trigger a relaxed state. This link explains the mala a little better.

www.healthandyoga.com...

As a yoga teacher, I give all my students a very simple set of beads to use in class and at home to help facilitate meditation. You can also count backwards in your head to help bring your mind to into one place. Do not give up on meditation and as mentioned before you may also want to look into a beginner yoga class as it is the physical aspects of yoga asanas, or postures, that prepare the body to sit for longer periods of time.

Welcome to meditation and take it one step at a time. Some people never find that total state of bliss, but any form of relaxation is good for the body, mind and spirit.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Lord Jules

Lord Jules:

Thank you for the link, I'm looking forward to reading that one. Maybe the world would be a better place to be if more people could meditate.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Meditation is not about comfort. Meditation is about the observation of the now in the reality that is present. Only one reality exists and that is what you currently experience. Meditation is a way to allow you to distance yourself from the immediate wants and desires that your current now implies. What is want? What is need? What makes you feel secure and whole? We all have the ability to resist temptation. Tempation is the immediate need that asks for immediate response. Meditation provides a space to evaluate the many immediate needs.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join