It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK criticises 'tasteless' Falklands Olympic ad

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desolate Cancer
I am in the US so it is not my business, but one thing I never got was if thre are only a few people living on the falklands and the UK always says that its the locals who want to stay britsh, why has the argentinians just not done a Mexican or Cuban maneuver and dump several thousand of their citizens on the islands?

Then there will be more people saying they want ot be arentinian than british.

Sort of like a squatter taking over a house

It would be illegal.

It would be like the Chinese dumping 800 million of their citizens in the US so that they could claim the US for China.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Because its not the UK's

It was the last time I checked.

is an Island that belongs to South America,

Says who?

and the UK is not their except as an colonist,

Why don't we tell the Argentinians to go back to Spain and give Argentina back to the native peoples?

it has not jurisdiction or right to appropriate that island for itself and i've known that all my life.

Absolute rubbish. It's Argentina which has no right to the islands.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
If you guys listen to what I am saying you will realise I have nothing against the British people and in fact I am trying to help you.
Fight your own wars, not the wars of a minute few who think you are expendable and make you live like dogs while they live in luxury.
Funny thing is that they use the army and police to enforce that stature as well.

How many of your young soldiers need to die fighting some pointless cause before you stop and think.

You are not living in a free society.

Current/recent poverty figures:

Defining the poverty line as those individuals and households with incomes less than 60% of their respective medians:
In 2009-2010, the percentage of the population living in relative poverty stood at 17.1% (before housing costs) and 22.2% (after housing costs).[31]

17-18% of the population are found to be in poverty at any one time consistently, from 1994-2004. Source: BBC News [32]

In 2003 to 2004, 21% of children lived in households below the poverty line. After housing costs are taken into account, this rises to 28%.[33]

3.9 million single people in the UK were living below the poverty line in 2005. Many of these people are divorced women. (Poverty among single people is not as high profile as that suffered by families and pensioners). Source: The Elizabeth Finn Trust/BBC News [34]

Nearly 60% of those in poverty are homeowners. Source: BBC News[35]

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by HumanCondition
If you guys listen to what I am saying you will realise I have nothing against the British people and in fact I am trying to help you.

You're like a broken record. Could you please 'help' us in a less tedious way? Preferably in a thread where your whining is on-topic.

It must be very distressing for you to happen across a subject where we evil Imperialist scum are able to take and hold the moral high ground, but please resist the urge to bombard us with drivel.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Philip Hammond told Sky News it was "very insulting" to the many UK service personnel who gave their lives protecting the Falkland Islands.

So how many UK service personnel who gave their lives did Philip Hammond actually interview as to what they thought of the commercial?

No disrespect intended.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soshh

You're like a broken record. Could you please 'help' us in a less tedious way? Preferably in a thread where your whining is on-topic.

It must be very distressing for you to happen across a subject where we evil Imperialist scum are able to take and hold the moral high ground, but please resist the urge to bombard us with drivel.

Talk about whining.
You people are upset about the most timid ad I have ever seen.
Their people died in the war too you know.
You have no moral high ground and you never have.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Talk about whining.

Moral high ground? No matter how much you bring up past transgressions, in 1982 the Argentinians started a fight. The Brit's finished it. That's the definition of moral high ground; never start a fight, but always finish it.

I applaud you for wanting to make people aware of the tyranny of the political and economic system, but that is a global problem, not a national one. You can't attribute these ill's to one nation, and to do so is to play into the game you are so dead set against.

Pick your battles. This is not the thread in which to chastise people for partaking in nationalism or colonialism or whatever transgressions you care to lay at their feet. Argentina has politicised a non-political event, and is once again in the wrong. That's all there is to it.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Sorry mate, I didn't catch that. It's difficult to hear you from all the way up here.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Talk about whining.

Well,there I do agree.Brits have no moral high ground for they house the demon family Rothschild and are responsible for wholescale slaughter in hundreds of millions(proven via british stats) to billions(estimated) .

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Another sad and desperate ploy by a morally and intellectually bankrupt argentinian government.

Please continue making clowns of yourselves, albion enjoys your impotent buffoonery.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ludwigvonmises003

So by your reckoning all the German people who were not alive during WW2 are responsible for all the deaths of Jewish people during that time.....
Grow up fella, Us British are not responsible for the deaths of millions because we were not alive when it happened.
Why don't you focus on all the great things the British have given the world...or shall I list them?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

Real americans do not support brits.We kicked the brit rear in the war of independence.Shame you are a neocon.True conservatives support our founding fathers ideals .Also by Monroe Doctrine we have the right in the affairs of Latin America and Falklands.

But you must be an agent of the Rothschild bankers and their demonic federal reserve.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

So by your reckoning all the German people who were not alive during WW2 are responsible for all the deaths of Jewish people during that time.....
Grow up fella, Us British are not responsible for the deaths of millions because we were not alive when it happened.

Past experience leads me to suspect that you will receive no constructive or reasoned reply from ludwig.

His posts have one sole aim; to pursue an anti-UK agenda by spouting bigotted rhetoric and unsubstantiated claims that have been disproved on several occassions before.

He usually completely disregards common sense and historical fact if they don't fit into his narrow minded viewpoint and seems incapable of reasoned debate.

He fails to understand that The Monroe Doctrine, (which relied on the UK to enforce when first drafted), that he so often rattles on about is a complete irrelevance to anyone else apart from the US.
It is a doctrine and has no legal standing whatsoever under international law.
Yet he still maintains that this unilateral declaration takes precedence over the inalienable right of Self-Determination.

It would seem that not only is he a bigot but also a hypocrite too.
edit on 8/5/12 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Instead of trolling my thread and making all kinds of ridiculous and untrue statements, why don't you comment on my original posts about the video or go make your own thread about how evil the British are????

edit on 8-5-2012 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludwigvonmises003

Real americans do not support brits.We kicked the brit rear in the war of independence.

Embarrassing comment.

Not only are you defeating the very object of the 'few people' debating the islands sovereignty by discussing past conquests... your also adding to the xenophobia/ racism that seems to be acceptable towards us Brits for past battles.

Bravo Sir.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludwigvonmises003

Real americans do not support brits.We kicked the brit rear in the war of independence..

Get off your high horse and learn some history. Out of my hat I could pull 10 moments that could have irrevocably destroyed the American war effort during the war of independence. You can't even cite the furore of the American people, the majority of the war was actually American loyalists vs American Rebels.

The only reason a re-conquest was never attempted was because compared the India, the Caribbean, Canada and continental concerns, America was just too much for too little.

Don't get me wrong, the USA didn't win by chance alone. But just like Agincourt, Crecy, Trafalgar, the would-be Spanish invasion armada and so on, everything stood on the breadth of a hair, or in one case the trigger finger of Patrick Ferguson. A British man who decided not to shoot George Washington in the back as it would be too low of him. If he did, the world would be very different today.
edit on 13-5-2012 by sajuek because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-5-2012 by sajuek because: We didn't fight America in World War 2. Text/sentence structure scrubbing.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Originally posted by Sicksicksick

Because its not the UK's

It was the last time I checked.

is an Island that belongs to South America,

Says who?

ROFL
You Sir should be our man in the UN
A star for you!

Back on track I think the OP is correct it's very sad state of affairs when Argentina are using this vid to make a political statement when the Olympics aren't mean't to be political.

But perhaps the quote at the end of the video should read.

"To compete on English soil we train on Argentine soil and then die on Falkland soil."
edit on 24-5-2012 by ukdweller because: to add quote

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Just remember that the "Malvinas" argument comes from a viewpoint that was last trotted out by a moribund military regime that, though in economic turmoil, still had the money to give its political dissidents one-way plane rides over the Pacific...

What were we saying about moral high-ground again?

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
The Falklands are British and will remain British and here's why:

Vanguard Class SSBN

Argentina is a backward little tinpot dictatorship and would do very well to think long and hard about exactly who they are messing with here.....We were nice about it the last time we beat them, so they've still got all their cities, but they're really pushing their luck at the moment!

We British can be a truly spiteful bunch if you rile us up; ask the inhabitants of Hamburg or Dresden.....Or alternatively, come over here for the Olympics, pop into any public house and start this type of discussion, go on, I dare you!

edit on 23-6-2012 by squarehead666 because: s&p

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join