It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK criticises 'tasteless' Falklands Olympic ad

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

UK criticises 'tasteless' Falklands Olympic ad

www.bbc.co.uk

The UK defence secretary has criticised a "tasteless" advert showing an Argentine athlete training at sites in the Falklands including a war memorial.

The political advert shows hockey captain Fernando Zylberberg training in the Falklands ahead of London 2012.

It ends with: "To compete on English soil we train on Argentine soil."

Philip Hammond told Sky News it was "very insulting" to the many UK service personnel who gave their lives protecting the Falkland Islands.

"I also think it's a breach of one of the fundamental principles of the Olympics: That politics is set aside
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Please watch the ad on the linked site.

I think it's very sad state of affairs when Argentina are using this vid to make a political statement when the Olympics aren't mean't to be political. They also filmed it in secret, so they knew the harm it could cause.
Again with the saber rattling and rhetoric, why are the Argentine political leaders using the Falklands to build resentment to the British and the British/Falklanders living on the islands.
How would they react if part of the opening ceremony we show how they were handed their backsides during the war. There would be an uproar and I wouldn't blame them TBH, so should the British just sit back, maybe the British Olympic committee should ban them from the coming to the Olympic games?

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 4-5-2012 by Kurokage because: added a few sentences and spelling

edit on 4-5-2012 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Iam getting a bit peed off with the Argies at the moment when will they get it in their heads that the falklands are British and will remain British until the people who have lived on the islands for many years decide they don't want to be British anymore.
Heck if they do another thing like this I say ban them from the Olympics because what they have done is just wrong.
I hope that when this athlete competes we boo him so much he comes last.
edit on 4-5-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I am in the US so it is not my business, but one thing I never got was if thre are only a few people living on the falklands and the UK always says that its the locals who want to stay britsh, why has the argentinians just not done a Mexican or Cuban maneuver and dump several thousand of their citizens on the islands?

Then there will be more people saying they want ot be arentinian than british.

Sort of like a squatter taking over a house

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Because its not the UK's, is an Island that belongs to South America, and the UK is not their except as an colonist, which means an aggressor, and so it has not jurisdiction or right to appropriate that island for itself and i've known that all my life. Wrong is wrong and nothing makes it right.

I don't actually believe in borders, or anything to do with our world, and believe in actually having heaven on earth, a wonderful equal and advanced world, however, what was done there was wrong.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
They're obviously trying to get more of their citizens attention. What ever they're doing, they should just stop now because there's no way we're letting that island go, we'd go to war before even considering it and Argentina would get eaten up.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

It was a New York company that made the advert.. So yes the US had something to do with it.. However the company has demanded that the advert be taken down by the argy government...

Also they could not "do a mexican" because there is 3000 miles of ocean between them...

My personal hope is that our hockey players break the feckers legs on the pitch...

edit on 4-5-2012 by EvanB because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

This isn't about the dreaded British Empire!!! Its's about making a poiltical statement towards the British using the Olympics. The only people who have lived there (Falklands) are British and want to remain that way. There should be a peaceful way of sorting this but Argintina are not intersted in that.

Should every Country now entering the Olympics start making political ads?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

To right my uncle lost his leg in the war and although I don't like fighting but I would help out fellow Britons to defend their homes.
Oh and to the people saying it belongs to south america...your wrong, the people who live their are British by choice and have lived there for many many generations.
The only way the Argies are going to get their hands on it is to invade, the Falklanders are very proud to be British and will never give that up.

+2 more 
posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Because its not the UK's, is an Island that belongs to South America, and the UK is not their except as an colonist, which means an aggressor, and so it has not jurisdiction or right to appropriate that island for itself and i've known that all my life. Wrong is wrong and nothing makes it right.

I don't actually believe in borders, or anything to do with our world, and believe in actually having heaven on earth, a wonderful equal and advanced world, however, what was done there was wrong.

Blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah...

The Argentines tried taking it by force and got their arses handed to them.. You know... Like colonial aggressors..

They also took their own country from the locals by force too... You know.. Like colonial aggressors...

Read history... May surprise you..

+1 more 
posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

An Argentinian has NEVER EVER resided on the Islands prior to the British colonising it !
They never ever had sovereignty over it !
It does not belong to Argentina !
We didn't conquer it, it was deserted !
Get It ?

Peace
edit on 123131p://05America/Chicago04 by ProRipp because: (no reason given)

edit on 123131p://05America/Chicago04 by ProRipp because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
If the Argies are so bold as to take another crack at the Falklands I suspect the fighting would not be limited to the "exclusion zone" this time around. It's a real pity because Buenos Aires is such a beautiful city and it would be a shame if it were laid low by more Argentine stupidity.

What's their end-game? That's what I don't get. There is no benefit to Argentina claiming the Falklands, they are fairly barren rocks. The UK has offered what was in my opinion an overly generous share of any energy profits gained from the islands. Would they really have more of their citizens killed over a matter of pride?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
The only people that justify this sickening advert are the very people who do not have a clue about the colonial history of this island.

The island belongs to the UK, the people on the island are British who claim to be British and want to stay British. What more is there to say?

I welcome more provocative statements from Argentina, because it proves they have no intention of taking the islands back by force... but to use the islands as a political calling card to rally support for a political party.

Why isn't she going to the UN, NATO etc? Because they would laugh in her face.

Nothing more then a xenophobic bigoted old lady who should concentrate on her own country and the reform it quite clearly needs.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Orwells Ghost

They want the oil mate !
Thats why !
Have you noticed the price of corned beef lately ?
Thats all they have to bargain with !

Peace

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
We offered then part of the income we generate from oil around the Falklands though, they refused so why should we be bullied into giving them something that they don't or have ever claimed to own?

Really annoys me that they try and justify the 'slaying' of these Argentinian soldiers who tried (and failed) to occupy OUR land, by making a mockery of a war memorial of our fallen heroes.

Really gives there campaign backbone in the International community, xenophobes.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ProRipp

See my comment about the UK offering profit sharing; They didn't need to do that. The Argentine claim on the islands are as weak as their chances of taking them.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
More deflection tactics from Kirchner.

She seems intent on blaming anyone and everyone other than her own party and her policies for the domestic economic situation.

It is indeed tasteless and in fact many Argentinians themselves have criticised the advertisement.

Buenos Aires newspaper La Nacion saying many see it as a stunt to make political capital by president Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner's government.

There are also accusations that the Argentinian government is trying to seek political gain from the games, something they said they wouldn't do and something that is contrary to the very ethos of the Olympic movement.

uk.eurosport.yahoo.com...

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

So why is Alaska not Canadian???

Argentina have NEVER populated the island, the island was deserted, uninhabited, empty - when it was claimed by the UK... get it???

The people on the island are British citizens and want to remain that way. The Argentinians tried to invade the island and failed horribly.

Do some bloody research of the historical FACTS before you jump on the bandwagon created through the media!

When are people going to realise that the stuff you see on TV was CHOSEN/SELECTED to be viewed... kind of like the bible... select viewing for a select sucker audience.

(warning - this next bit is tounge in cheek comedy) I would love Argentina to try taking the island again.... then Britain could counter invade their country and get a much needed holiday home for everyone

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
This hasn't been about the people of Argentina from day one, it has been about political advantage hence why she has got every man and his band chirping from the same song, YET she wont go to the UN/ NATO.... anyone that matters to actually do something about it.

As I said before, if she had concentrated more on her people, instead of making ill informed/ unneeded accusations about an island that doesn't belong to her, then maybe they'd have taken the lead of Brazil.

Pathetic.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
And now we can tell the Argies to stick theyre corned beef up theyre bleedin arse !
www.meatinfo.co.uk...

Then we can give the Isle of Man to Ireland, the Channel Islands to France and the Isle of Wight to bloody Switzerland !

Peace

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join