It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does it mean when one in seven people think the end of the world is coming?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

What does it mean when one in seven people think the end of the world is coming?

caffertyfile.blogs. cnn.com

It's the end of the world as we know it - at least for one in seven people worldwide.

A new poll conducted for Reuters shows nearly 15% of people believe the world will end during their lifetime.

And 10% think the end could come as soon as this year - that's based on the end of the 5,100-year-old Mayan calendar that arrives on December 21, 2012.

Pollsters questioned more than 16,000 people in more than 20 countries. It turns out predictions of doom and gloom vary widely depending on where
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
It seems there are a large group of people worldwide that foresee a end of the world as we know it in our lifetime and some see it happening this year.

The comments from this opinion piece seem to blame this thinking on the religious.

1/5 or 22% of Americans believe the end is nigh, how do you all feel about this?

caffertyfile.blogs. cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+3 more 
posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
It means the history channel needs to stop airing programs about the end of the world.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
In answer to the question posed in the thread title !

It means 1 in 7 people need psychiatric assessment !

Peace

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
It means, 14.28% of the population want the pain to end.

At least that amount feel they dont have much to live for and want the plug to be pulled !!

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
it means self fulfilling prophecy.

Or a lot of people who are going to feel like everyday is a gift come jan 1 2013

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
It means people are easily influenced or that there is a disconnect from reality. We, in the western world, live in unheard of peace and comfort, and most life threatening conflicts are a world away. Most people can expect to live past their 40's. Knowledge and information are increasing exponentially. Granted, death and suffering still abound in the world, but it has been that way for ages.

That being said, I think the end is near. I don't have any guarantees, but I'm easily influenced by Biblical prophecies and I spend more time on the internet, disconnected from reality, than I do farming or connecting to nature. So...

If 2012 is the apocalypse, I won't be surprised. If life goes on as normal, it won't be all that surprising either.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

It means one in seven people is either smarter than the rest, or more gullible than the rest.

Guess we'll know in 2013.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MeesterB
It means people are easily influenced or that there is a disconnect from reality. We, in the western world, live in unheard of peace and comfort, and most life threatening conflicts are a world away. Most people can expect to live past their 40's. Knowledge and information are increasing exponentially. Granted, death and suffering still abound in the world, but it has been that way for ages.

Yep - "we" in the west have never had it so good.

I reckon all the apocalypse BS, along with religious fundamentalist stupidity (of all varieties) is some sort of primitive psyche reaction to not actually having enough "threats" in our lives - not so long ago we had to worry about starvation, the next tribe, infection, working ourselves to death, etc.

Without those very real concerns we have had to find something for our "worry gene" to do - so we have invented conspiracies, the end of the world, the axis of evil, the decadent west, TPTB, NWO, chemtrails, reptiloids, etc to fill the "worry vacuum"!!

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProRipp
In answer to the question posed in the thread title !

It means 1 in 7 people need psychiatric assessment !

Peace

Actually, 6 in 7 people need a psychiatric assessment.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by theconspirator

I agree. Too much hype. This stuff has been Main Stream for a while now so the sheeple are jumping on board. For the religious types, it's been the end times for as long as I can remember. Even Jim Morrison (a prophet of sorts) was way off in the 70's - "I'm going to get my kicks before this whole #-house goes up in flames"

I'm not disputing that change is afoot, we seem to be heading toward a critical juncture where human global consciousness will evolve or mutate.

End of the world ? No Way Man. Still too much fun to be had.

Peace Out

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by NuclearMitochondria

Then you and the other 5 will be in front of me in the queue !

Peace
edit on 073131p://05America/Chicago03 by ProRipp because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Sounds like a lot pessimistic attitudes.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
It means that 86% of people DON'T think the world is coming to and end..

Just depends how you look at it

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
it means when 2013 comes and we are still here david icke and the rest will hopefully lose gullible sheeple to follow them. who am i kidding they will still follow..

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by denver22

It's because Christianity has been making promises for too long and not making good on it...

People are tired of waiting and want something that sounds good and is coming soon.

link   
People from every generation have always felt this way from the beginning of time..

....or since people took note of it.

[I saw/heard it on some documentary ]

link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
It means that 86% of people DON'T think the world is coming to and end..

Just depends how you look at it

It was once a topic for religious zealots and conspiracy nut jobs, but today just like other topics its now a mainstream topic, this is interesting all in itself.

link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

That's pretty much a slam dunk post imo. Couldn't have said it better.
Overworked hypothalamus stimulated by the t.v.(News stations specifically), and the constant reminder of "terrorists"

Of course it has it's place in homeostasis and defensive driving, but we don't have to worry about tigers getting us... so... gotta find something to be afraid of.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
How many people think the world is about to end in any given year?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join