It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mentally Challenged Man Tased At Point Blank Range

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
This is disturbing. The guys who recorded this say they know the individual, that he is mentally challenged, and has the perception of a two year old. I did not see what could be perceived as a threat here. The man was standing still, with hands raised(no audio at this point), and then the cop just tasers him from maybe 5-7ft away.

I thought tasers were only to be used when an officer is under threat and feels his safety is in jeopardy. If a cop can't deal with a mentally challenged individual, standing in place with his hands raised, without tasing him, what can they deal with?

Obviously we don't have all the facts. But from what was shown, I personally do not see a threat or any need for tasing the individual. Also, I may add, given people have died from the use of tasers before, they shouldn't used unless completely necessary, which in this case I'd say the need for using a taser is highly questionable.
edit on 1-5-2012 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
from the conversation with the crazy lady that has bad teeth its appears the cop tasered him for not following his orders to put his hands down. So if you do not do what a a police offer says then you get tased and if you squirm in pain from the taser you get stepped on. The lazy cop could have easily cuffed him without using the taser.
edit on 1-5-2012 by oddnutz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

I think cops are just getting lazy. Why deal with an individual and analyze the situation and possibly have to use physical restraint when you can stand 4 feet away and electrocute them into submission?

Granted, the cop probably couldn't tell that the guy is handicapped, but I don't really understand what he was doing wrong.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Isnt anyone who is tazed at point blank range?
Just sayin'
And the lady with the "teeth" should be tazed rather than the poor mentally challenged guy.
edit on 1-5-2012 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
As someone who worked with mentally challenged adults for a decade, and weighed maybe 160lbs soaked and wet, I had no problems restraining these individuals with minimal training.

This cop went overboard, and is in need of some basic training.
Growing a pair wouldn't be a bad idea too.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
That was crazy...police state...here it comes!

That cop is a piece of garbage and I hope he at the very least gets fired!

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by proob4

Isnt anyone who is tazed at close range?
Just sayin'

Well, this would imply to me at least, that tasing at "close range" is more a choice.
link

From the wikipedia page: "There are a number of cartridges designated by range, with the maximum at 35 feet (10.6 m).
en.wikipedia.org...
I'm no expert on tasers, but I would think tasing someone at close range would be frowned upon, and given people have died from being tased, shouldn't be used unless completely necessary.
edit on 1-5-2012 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MeesterB

Lazy? Try, ever so more and more f#$@less about your natural inalienable rights as human beings, let alone your u.s. constitutional rights as u.s. citizens. The man, handicapped or not held his hands up in surrender.

What is even worse in the face of the actual recording is the recorder exclaiming how awesome that was.

edit on 1-5-2012 by emberscott because: spelling

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

I hear you. It's a shame the poor mentally challenged fella had to get treated that way.
Is the cop that dumb not to realize that the guy was mentally impaired?

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

The thin blue line that exists for all police officers suggests that there are good cops who've joined the force to sincerely uphold the law, and that there are bad cops who giddily ignore their oath of office in order to bully others. As more and more people break free of the shackles of ignorance of the law and come to understand they are the holders of the inherent political power and can use this power to utterly destroy a criminal thug, more and more bad cops will find themselves turning to "mentally challenged" people to bully.

It will only be when we as individuals are willing to file verified complaints against the thuggery used by bad cops, demanding these thugs be prosecuted and convicted for their crimes, ensuring they spend a good deal of time in prison that both the "mentally competent" and the "mentally challenged" will be able to breathe a bit easier. Until this time...

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
The more I think about this the more it pisses me off. They should take these tazers away from these sissy cops. I mean if he didn't have the tazer he would draw a gun right? I doubt he would shoot him for not putting his hands down and would do the right thing and wait for backup.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

sometimes mentally impaired people can come across as being intoxicated not impaired. Not sticking up for the lazy cop just saying. Also can them tasers send another shock down the cables after being fire cause i get the impression the disabled person gets another shock when on the ground and that's why he screams out in pain?

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

What is even worse in the face of the actual recording is the recorder exclaiming how awesome that was

This is a good point, and I also thought about this as well. Just shows where we are at in this society.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by emberscott

Im with you. There are two people that need to be zapped here. The cop for being lazy and the guy rooting for it to happen so he can video it. both have the same mentallity to me. One just has a job where he can get away with it.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
This guy needs more training?

How about this guy needs to lose his job?

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by oddnutz

I thought about that also. But I still feel the that even if it was a drunk or a mentally impaired individual he still had his hands up and was not a threat. Even if he didn't comply to put his hands down, he still was not a threat. The cop could have waited for backup or just used force to handcuff him.So yes this is laziness, being impatient or just plain incompetense.
edit on 1-5-2012 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Cant link the original thread on the Tablet but as I recall it explains the situation better and has links to news.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

It will only be when we as individuals are willing to file verified complaints against the thuggery used by bad cops, demanding these thugs be prosecuted and convicted for their crimes, ensuring they spend a good deal of time in prison that both the "mentally competent" and the "mentally challenged" will be able to breathe a bit easier. Until this time...

100% agree. I don't understand watching this stuff over and over without councils of citizens, watchdog groups with huge public support tackling the leaders and playing hard ball. Those guys are on our purse, and we shouldn't pay the salaries of anyone committing mutiny, they're just employees of the Public, who is the Employer Group.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

OIC, I didn't think of it that way. Thanks for pointing that out.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux

The thin blue line that exists for all police officers suggests that there are good cops who've joined the force to sincerely uphold the law, and that there are bad cops who giddily ignore their oath of office in order to bully others. As more and more people break free of the shackles of ignorance of the law and come to understand they are the holders of the inherent political power and can use this power to utterly destroy a criminal thug, more and more bad cops will find themselves turning to "mentally challenged" people to bully.

Aren't cops supposed to "serve and protect"? Not sure where that would apply in this scenario. I feel no safer because this cop decided to tase a mentally handicapped individual, who appeared to provide no threat at all.

I figure this abuse of power will hit a climax sooner or later. As for when the climax comes to fruition and the people take a stand, I don't know. The information technology age should only help, and this is at least one area technology should help us, as more and more of these circumstances are recorded and posted online.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join