It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's REALLY causing our Whooping cough outbreak? Oh yeah, I have it. :(

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
So I am into my 5th week of being sick.
(no smiley for a cough)

It actually began one evening suddenly with a small dry cough. By the following week I had the classic bad-cold symptoms: Congestion, runny nose, malaise, cough...no fever over 99 (I rarely get them though). I knew that there had been several recent cases of whooping cough in my county, but I didn't have a whoop and it just seemed like a really bad cold.

On day 11 after a weekenf of pretty much sleepless nights due to coughing, I finally went to my doc. I rarely ever get coughs and it had now become productive so I was concerned maybe I was getting bronchitis. My family doctor agreed. He commented that there was a chance it was whooping cough (my last tetnus on file was only a Tdap...no pertusis) but since my symptoms weren't classic and he would treat me with the standard antibiotic (Z-pack) for both....we shrugged it off.

I finished the five day course on a Friday. The next morning I literally fell out of my bed with the world spinning around me and proceeded to spend the next twelve hourse on the floor vomiting violently if I moved my head. Now....I worked in an ER for over three years. I never fully appreciated just how God awful vertigo is. Maybe I never see a full blown case of it....but my eyes would literally spasm back and forth rapidly and I would feel like I was being thrown around the room. I pulled a muscle in my back from throwing up so hard....it was just horrible. I finally crawled into the ER where my friends gave me some nice strong meds to make the world go back to normal. The ER doc said it was from an inner ear infection....so I proceeded to start another ten day dose of another antibiotic (which I rarely ever take) and antivert for the vertigo.

I finished the antivert two days ago and the antibiotics yesterday, Last night my ear started hurting for the first time so i think I am now in for a visit to the ENT...but so far no more vertigo!

Anyways.....I saw my family doc as a follow-up this past week. He now concurs without a doubt that I do, in fact, have whooping cough. By then my cough was becoming more classic in nature. I was given a mask in the office and the nurses seemed a bit scared of me. Which is kinda silly, because according to them I was no longer contagious after i did the first five days of the Z-pack. Still no test though....he didn't think it was neccessary, which really makes me wonder what the real numbers are for this outbreak.

My true whoop didn't start until just this past friday....so six days ago. I gotta tell ya, this is NOT just a cough. First...this description of it where they say you "cough until you throw up" is very misleading. It is a total spasm of the epiglottis/voice box. Others in the medical field will appreciate it when i say that I loose the ability to protect my airway.

I am not coughing (now) because of a prompt from my lungs. It is coming from the back of my throat. I get just enough phlegm back there that I feel a need to clear my throat that will then lead to instinctual cough. The problem is that if I cough....it causes the spasm, so I do this wierd, soft clearing my throat thing trying not to upset it. If I do it too hard, or if I cough or yell (found that out today at a track meet) then the spasm starts.

The epiglottis is that little flap that hangs down in the back of your throat, it's purpose is to shut over your trachea (airway) whenever you swallow in order to protect it from anything other than air. Well, when it spasms, it closes over my trachea and I CAN NOT get it open. It's scarrier than crap. You can't breath. Finally, as a last resort you just suck in as hard as you can and FORCE the air in around it, which causes the whooping sound. The vomitting is NOT caused from coughing, but from the same spasming. You know how you can make yourself throw up by sticking your finger back there and touching the epiglottis? Same thing.

I don't know if I described that well enough....but I think it important to stress that this bacteria.....this odd thing at the end of the infection that causes the 'whoop' is NOT a cough. It is something that is wrong with my epiglottis....it is very bizarre and I have never experienced anything like it and hope to never again. I have almost passed out twice due to not being able to breath. It is NOT from coughing, but from not being able to control my airway. Personally, I think that is a big difference.

SO...onto the second part and real meat of this post. WHAT IS CAUSING THIS OUTBREAK?!!

I live in Skagit County, Washington. We now have the distinction of the highest Whooping cough rate in the state:

Whooping cough cases at a record high

As I mentioned above, I worked in our local ER for over three years. I haven't worked there now since last summer but I can tell you for most of 2011 the Pertussis vaccine was REALLY pushed. They were pretty much giving everyone who had a boo-boo the tetnus vaccine JUST so they could get the pertussis. There has been a HUGE campaign by local pharmacies and the school district to get boosters for going on two years now. I am wondering if our record infections has anything to do with our record vaccine campaigns. This is NOT just tongue-n-cheek.

I found some articles today that are quite disturbing. For instance, the BIG reason teens and adults were given for receiving the booster was NOT to protect ourselves (it's usually a mild infection for kids/adults) but to protect the yet un-vaccinated infants. So imagine my confusion when I saw this article from the CDC back in 2000 that literally states that recently vaccinated kids and adults are walking incubators. Check it out:

Pertussis Infection in Fully Vaccinated Children in Day-Care Centers, Israel

Vaccinated adolescents and adults may serve as reservoirs for silent infection and become potential transmitters to unprotected infants (3-11). The whole-cell vaccine for pertussis is protective only against clinical disease, not against infection (15-17). Therefore, even young, recently vaccinated children may serve as reservoirs and potential transmitters of infection.

So the obvious problem this causes, is now we have who knows how many kids and adults walking around, spreading this bacteria for WEEKS but not knowing it, because they aren't showing any symptoms. So why the deception? Hmmm.....wherever vaccines are involved, so is $$$$.

In addition to this, I also read this next article, which was written back in 2010. It exposes the reality that our pertussis vaccine has caused the bacteria to mutate into parapertussis which is likely responsible for a good number of outbreaks. In addition to that, the current pertussis vaccine makes you 40x more suseptible to the parapertussis infection.

Acellular pertussis vaccination enhances B. parapertussis colonization

I am running out of space, but I want to finally talk about the many, many current studies out there indicating that most of the current cases are in VACCINATED people!!! When 1 + 1 = 4, you really need to re-examine the math.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
and again i ask what of all the millions of people who have been vaccinated and have never had any problems EVER? According to this logic we should be a sickly nation of autistic people...Correct?
edit on 26-4-2012 by alkesh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by alkesh

You're missing the point. I am not talking about the millions of people that have had the vaccine and not had a problem. I am talking about the 1,000 plus cases in my county right now...and why they are happening. I don't think it is because people aren't vaccinated. So the question is...why? If it is due to a mutation, than everyone should be concerned. If it is because the current vaccine is no longer affective, or because it is, in fact, leading to more active cases because it is aiding in spreading the bacteria than something needs to be done about it.

The most recent pertusis vaccine is a relatively new one. It is not well studied (admitedly by the pharma companies themselves).

Sure...it's not in your neighborhood yet, so why worry? Let's wait until it's a pandemic to figure out what's going on.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I have a feeling you didnt read one of the studies you linked:

However, vaccine-induced immunity wanes after 5 to 10 years, making the vaccinated host vulnerable to infection (3). This susceptibility has been described in outbreaks of pertussis infection in highly vaccinated populations (3-6). A recent study by Yaari et al. showed that infection in a vaccinated person causes milder, nonspecific disease, without the three classical clinical stages (7). Whooping cough is seen in only 6% of such cases; instead, the illness is characterized by a nonspecific, prolonged cough, lasting several weeks to months. Because of these atypical symptoms, pertussis infection is underdiagnosed in adults and adolescents, who may be reservoirs for infection of unvaccinated infants (8-10).

What is certain, however, is that vaccine-induced immunity against infection does not persist throughout adulthood. In France, booster vaccinations have been recommended for adolescents and teenagers (18).

The study is implying that there should be more vaccines given and booster shots given more often, because people that have had their vaccines wear off, develop the infection asymptomatic...

Meaning, the get whooping cough, without the "whooping",

which really isn't a bad thing, but the are highlighting the fact that it gets overlooked, and therefore not treated properly....
edit on 26-4-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

This is reflected in this following article, which is basically suggesting that people get booster or be revaccinated every 3 years or so:

ATLANTA — The whooping cough vaccine given to babies and toddlers loses much of its effectiveness after just three years – a lot faster than doctors believed – and that could help explain a recent series of outbreaks in the U.S. among children who were fully vaccinated, a study suggests.

Link

You may be interested in this one.

You also may be interested in the following graphic:

Source

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   

this is just ridiculous! they come out with a vaccine and say its to protect you from getting a sickness, but the vaccine is the thing that gives you the ACTUAL sickness they promised to protect you from!!

absolutely sickening!!!!!!!!!!

*hugs to you OP* i have experienced similar coughing puking.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska

this is just ridiculous! they come out with a vaccine and say its to protect you from getting a sickness, but the vaccine is the thing that gives you the ACTUAL sickness they promised to protect you from!!

Can you please quote one of the studies that says that?

Because what I quoted says that the vaccine causes asymptomatic infections after people are exposed. In other words, the vaccine is (reduced effectiveness after years) not completely blocking the infection but is reducing the symptoms, which is causing people to not recognize their infection and pass it as asymptomatic carriers....

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska

Um... yeah, that's how vaccines work.

They give you a version that is "toned down" so your body can make antibodies for it and you can fight the infection on your own...

I hate to say it but this is like the one time I actually agree with Boncho...

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ArrowsNV

This is been happening a lot lately...

2012 = Really is the end of the world?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by ArrowsNV

This is been happening a lot lately...

2012 = Really is the end of the world?

I guess. No offence, but most of the time I feel as though your posts are mainly aimed at making fun of the poster whom you quote.

But in regard to my slight medical knowledge (I work in a pharmacy, used to work in a hospital pharmacy) I must agree that you are correct. I have studied medicine for a while and as far as I have learned a vaccine is basically a half-deactivated bacterium or virus that is injected and allowed to run around your body so your immune system will create antibodies to destroy it in the future.

Or as wikipedia puts it:

often made from weakened or killed forms of the microbe, its toxins or one of its surface proteins. The agent stimulates the body's immune system to recognize the agent as foreign, destroy it, and "remember" it, so that the immune system can more easily recognize and destroy any of these microorganisms that it later encounters.

edit on 4/26/2012 by ArrowsNV because: Punctuation

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
seems everyone has the symptoms in the city/ mass transit.

and no matters to cover mouth nose or watch snotty hands

time to wear surgical masks gloves and tote antimicrobe sanitizer everywhere public

30 years ago, whooping cough had nearly disappeared. today, it's back - what happened?

its killed dozen(s) of babies and infected thousands of children in the past couple yrs!

could increased cali radiation exposure be weakening immune systems?

edit on 26-4-2012 by BiggerPicture because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
oops, so its not radiation,

its mostly the outbreak in VACINNATED children/people

then they go and SPREAD it to others.

so much for modern infections diseases PROGRESS!

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Correct.

Another thread about it here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

I have a feeling you didnt read one of the studies you linked:

However, vaccine-induced immunity wanes after 5 to 10 years, making the vaccinated host vulnerable to infection (3). This susceptibility has been described in outbreaks of pertussis infection in highly vaccinated populations (3-6). A recent study by Yaari et al. showed that infection in a vaccinated person causes milder, nonspecific disease, without the three classical clinical stages (7). Whooping cough is seen in only 6% of such cases; instead, the illness is characterized by a nonspecific, prolonged cough, lasting several weeks to months. Because of these atypical symptoms, pertussis infection is underdiagnosed in adults and adolescents, who may be reservoirs for infection of unvaccinated infants (8-10).

What is certain, however, is that vaccine-induced immunity against infection does not persist throughout adulthood. In France, booster vaccinations have been recommended for adolescents and teenagers (18).

The study is implying that there should be more vaccines given and booster shots given more often, because people that have had their vaccines wear off, develop the infection asymptomatic...

Meaning, the get whooping cough, without the "whooping",

which really isn't a bad thing, but the are highlighting the fact that it gets overlooked, and therefore not treated properly....

This is reflected in this following article, which is basically suggesting that people get booster or be revaccinated every 3 years or so:

ATLANTA — The whooping cough vaccine given to babies and toddlers loses much of its effectiveness after just three years – a lot faster than doctors believed – and that could help explain a recent series of outbreaks in the U.S. among children who were fully vaccinated, a study suggests.

Link

You may be interested in this one.

You also may be interested in the following graphic:

Source

I have a feeling you didn't read my whole post.

Either that, or I am not being very articulate.

Let me try this again.

I KNOW they discovered the last 'batch' of pertussis vaccine is now wearing off whithin 6-10 yrs so. I thought I got that across when I said they were really pushing it on everyone over a YEAR ago at our local ER and in our schools. This doesn't contradict what I am saying at all.

We have what I see as a three-fold problem:

Obviously, the vaccine wearing off is a big one. I think it is the catapult to this current outbreak.

Those who were immune are no longer....or the resistance is lowered. Because of this, people are getting full-blown pertussis or what I see as the more dangerous alternative; a mild infection that isn't bad enough to trigger the treatment that keeps it from spreading.

Here we come to problem number two:

It would appear that there is a very large percentage of active infections in people that ARE currently vaccinated. Now, I realize that as with any vaccine, just because you get it doesn't neccesarily mean you are immune. (Most don't realize that about 25% if of those that get the flu vaccine never develop immunity.) But I have seen some current article regarding outbreaks where over 80% of those with ACTIVE infections are up to date on their vaccines. What?! Um.....something is wrong there and brings us to problem three:

Has the pertussis bacteria further mutated? It is already well documented that there is another strain of pertussis called parapertussis. The vaccine does NOT work against us, and is suspected to be responsible for a lot of the outbreaks. Since it is a milder infection though, I guess it isn't much of a concern. BUT...the fact that it exists in conjuncture now with what seems to be a possible failure of the currently used vaccine would seem to imply that it is at least possible we another mutation on our hands.

Look. I am forty years old and managed to avoid this my whole life up until now. I'm telling you that there is soemthing strange going on here that perhaps has bigger implications.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   

The one link that I provided covered the mutation, and it's exactly why I said I thought you would be interested in it. The data in the studies shows though, that people are getting mild asymptomatic infections when the vaccine begins wearing off. After it has fully worn off, (which I assume is in adulthood) then I imagine you would need another vaccine all together, unless you maintained booster shots for years.

Health officials say that at the rate things are going now, we could see as many as 3,000 cases this year, which would be the most in the state in six decades.

Teens and adults are urged to get vaccinations. Officials note that vaccination is especially important for those in close contact with babies less than 1 year old.

Link

The increase in pertussis is obviously an issue that needs to be addressed. And if you look the at the data I presented in the past century it showed a steady decline when the vaccine was introduced.

I just don't think vaccines are a negative in this case, as some of the blogs and "naturalnews" types are making it to be.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I just don't think vaccines are a negative in this case, as some of the blogs and "naturalnews" types are making it to be.

I'm not so sure. The Flu vaccine is definitely an unfriendly jab given it's ingredients and it's history. I have refused all vaccines since 10 years now and I never get the Flu. My brother get's it yearly and is always off sick with full blown Flu every winter. I keep telling him but he never listens.

I don't trust the Pharmaceutical companies. They are in it for the Big Bucks only! When u take a vaccine you have a 50/50 chance of it affecting you in a negative way. So no point taking the chance when natural remedies work just as well or even better.

If you've ever seen 'Esoteric Agenda' then you'll get what I am saying!
edit on 1/12/2012 by stevcolx because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Okay...bringing this back. For a reason.

I rest my case:

New whooping cough strain in US raises question

So the CDC is finally officially recognizing this...now that the billions were made on the booster this past year, which oh, by the way is probably useless.

Health officials are looking into whether cases like the dozen found in Philadelphia might be one reason the nation just had its worst year for whooping cough in six decades. The new bug was previously reported in Japan, France and Finland.

DUH....

If the State of Washington would get off its butt and actually do some real research, this would have been obvious last year. Somehow though, I don't that fits into the agenda, so isn't happening. Big money....that's what it is all about, not our health. It never has been.

ETA: I still know people currently coming down with new infections. yes, they are vaccinated.
edit on 16-2-2013 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

top topics

join