It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Different Color for Older Threads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
All of the threads are in White.

I believe Older Threads that are a year or older should be in a different color, so that you know you are instantly seeing an older thread.

I see many people posting on older threads without realizing it. I believe that if the threads over 1 year old were in another color then ATSers would instantly know they were in an old thread. Keep the threads that are a year or less in age just as they are in color (white), but change the post color to some other color for older threads.

Just my thoughts.

What are your thoughts?
edit on 25-4-2012 by RussianScientists because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Great suggestion! I recently stumbled upon a thread dating from 2009! I wish I knew more easily.

What you Mods think about this idea?
edit on 25-4-2012 by swan001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
What a GREAT IDEA! U2U springer and let him know. . .

Good ideas are rare around here these days, and this is a no brainer. How many times have people clicked on a post, and realized it was seven years old?

I'd star you if I could. . .

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

I read a lot of old threads. I check the post date. Problem solved for me. It's easy, you just look at the upper left hand corner of the post you are reading.

To program in a new color in php code per date specific times is a logistical nightmare. You have to add in several variables in the SQL database, update timestamps, and have a script that determines when the post is beyond the "year" mark. It COULD be automated, but that would require creating a script that CONSTANTLY runs in the background, analyzing EVERY thread for it's date stamp, and determining if it's over a year old or not.

The servers would spend more time analyzing the 5 million threads than actually serving them. That'd be an ugly bottleneck.

From a programmer's aspect, it's a nightmare. In order for your software to determine which thread is "Older" than "Another", there has to be a script that runs to determine "which" is "which". That active script eats up resources. The current system stamps a date and time, case closed, and it's stored forever. To try and analyze dates, no way.

Is it doable? Theoretically, yes. Is it gonna happen? See above.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Why disreguard a thread just because it is old? There is a lot of good threads I have come acrossed that were old.

new topics

top topics

join