It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advertising on Fire Trucks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I know this may be a strange discussion but I would like to hear others opinions.

My area is debating on allowing advertising on EMS vehicles to generate revenue for EMS services.

I am totally against it. When you play with a firetruck as a kid, there isn't an ad for Aspirin on the side.

The EMS workers are for it, as there is already advertising on public vehicles like buses and trains.

So whats next, state police helicopters carrying banners for tonight's buffet special?

I think corporate life is too pervasive already. The average American is advertised too 1200 TIMES a day. Some places need to be left sacred.

It is starting to creep into horseracing, won't be long till jockey silks look like the fender of Nascar.

Thoughts?
edit on 24-4-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

My area is debating on allowing advertising on EMS vehicles to generate revenue for EMS services.

I am totally against it. When you play with a firetruck as a kid, there isn't an ad for Aspirin on the side.

The EMS workers are for it, as there is already advertising on public vehicles like buses and trains.

Yeah I am going to agree with you, It is really tacky. Just how bad off are the EMS workers, that they would think it's a good idea?

Soon it will be *America, land of the free... Brought to you by Brawndo - it has electrolytes*

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I do not like it myself, but there are far worse things to worry about.

Although, if most of the problems we faced were solved, this would not be an issue and there would be no need to advertise on city vehicles. Just another example of attacking the results of the problem instead of the problem itself.

ETA:

My biggest fear would be that the advertisers would start dictating, for instance, who the ems squads went to save. It could happen, actually I think it already does. Lets see, the ems gets a call for someone overdosing in the ghetto, and the advertisers are advertising anti-drug propaganda so lets this individual "suffer the consequences." Or the individual is stereotypically identified as low income and therefore unworthy of the advertisers time and effort.
edit on 24-4-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I agree that it is probably not the best senerio but if means more funding for EMS services I would probably be for it. Advertising in this country is insane. I think we are past the point of no return. As long as the money goes to the EMS teams I am ok with it.

However it should be said that my 15 year old self would want to kick me in the ass for saying this

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
If they really must put ads on firetrucks, how about the government pay to
have ads such as a suicide help hotline or a quit smoking number, domestic abuse number to call etc etc,,,,,,,

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I don't get it?
I am already charged on my property taxes for the fire dept and ems.
I am charged 100.00 or more to ride in an ambulance if I need to.
I am charged X amount for the fire dept to come to my house if I need them. (1200.00 for a grass fire in their yard, per my mother.)
How much more money do they need?

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

My grandfather did not need advertising on his police car, my uncle needed no advertising on his fire engine.
I suggest that if the city or county managers cannot do the same, they spend and make too much and should be dumped like a gold digging girlfriend.
I would just assume seeing A US Marines uniform with corporate logos on it first, how would that sit?

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

$100?

I was charged over $800 for an ambulance ride the last time.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by hhcore

Tacky is a good word for it.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

I made a point that I hope higher ups wouldn't start taking advantage and skimming off the top, that it would all stay withinn the firehouse.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

I do know that fire and rescue equipment costs far more to run and maintain then people expect. I think a single amubulance is to the tune of 500,000. Then there is maintenance and repairs.

top topics

join