It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virus Attack Kills Iranian Oil

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Virus Attack Kills Iranian Oil

gizmodo.com

Iran may or may not be decoding American drone data right now, but one thing's for sure: someone cyber-punched the crap out of its oil infrastructure. Internet war!

Physical processing of Iranian crude hasn't been hit, but the ability to ship it out is more or less crippled. This is bad, as oil cash comprises the majority of Iran's budget. They are going to want to fix this very, very fast.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
And from the BBC :

The computer virus is believed to have hit the internal computer systems at Iran's oil ministry and its national oil company.

Equipment on the Kharg island and at other Iranian oil plants has been disconnected from the net as a precaution.

The terminal on Kharg Island handles about 90% of Iran's oil exports.

Iran is reported to have mobilised a "cyber crisis committee" to handle the aftermath of the attack and bolster defences.

So who did it? This seems like something a lot more sophisticated than the average DoS attacks and defaced websites from random hacker groups out for kicks and lulz. Could this be all out cyber warfare from Israel or the USA in retaliation for the decoded drone data Iran has been claiming to have?

gizmodo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 23-4-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I might be quite ignorant on the subject so forgive me but why are their systems hooked up to the internet? Why wouldn't they have a closed network or intranet? Unless they have a mole or saboteur, I don't see how an attack can happen.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
This whole story to me, reeks of spook games. It's obvious that this was do me by an enemy of Iran and its obvious it was done to put the screws on Iranian economic infrastructure...

This is more than likely a strategic move for the coming war with Iran... I have almost no doubt about it.
edit on 23-4-2012 by W3RLIED2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-4-2012 by W3RLIED2 because: Sp

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms
I might be quite ignorant on the subject so forgive me but why are their systems hooked up to the internet? Why wouldn't they have a closed network or intranet? Unless they have a mole or saboteur, I don't see how an attack can happen.

Well....any infrastructure is only as secure as it's weakest link. In most cases that is the human factor in which case they can get past just about any security in place in any infrastructure currently in place.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

I bet you this one was done by a pro..

Probably under a particular govt payroll.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
So when did they go down? Today?

Just curious as the micex went down earlier also.
edit on 23-4-2012 by emberscott because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms

Well....any infrastructure is only as secure as it's weakest link. In most cases that is the human factor in which case they can get past just about any security in place in any infrastructure currently in place.

Yeah I kinda figured that would be the case, but I do not know how it is not possible to simply find the person's identity through cameras/log in/clearance etc..

That has to be one of the most secure areas in Iran and Iran is no third world country that's for sure.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms

In this situation, you are probably on the right track. Sabotage from the inside somehow. Or at the very least an insider opened a tunnel into their system for someone else. Who knows? It's all very Clancyish.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
It would not surprise me if this was a full state sponsored cyber attack.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Ahhhh, so thats what the ad was really about........

now I get it

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

This is more and more how future wars will be fought. No need to batter a country into rubble if you can cripple them economically. Too many systems are way too vulnerable to such an attack. The same thing could happen to us.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
US-Israel were behind the last viral attack (cyberterrorism?) waged on Iran...

no surprise they are still at it..

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Here is a conspiracy theory for ya:

a spy drone mysteriously lands in Iran fully intact the Iranians cracked its data inside that data was a virus.trojan and now we hear the op.

Trojan horse for the 21st century cyber warfare there was no malfunction it was on purpose.
edit on 23-4-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

How did the virus get into their systems?

Would the Iranians be foolish enough to plug a hard line into an enemy drone?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

Coz the have poor tech support?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Haha.

Bummer for them.... Kharg is like the main oil hub over there. The Revolutionary Gaurd has got to be pissed.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by W3RLIED2

Coz the have poor tech support?

Yeah! They are running M$ bull #.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
another act of war against the iranians
any western country would be dropping bombs by now
at least they have some restraint
but how much longer can they be provoked

edit on 23-4-2012 by reclaimed because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join