It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creating the first Space Port - Creating Unity One

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Although there is not a forum dedicated to space exploration vehicles this is the best place to post this topic.

In order to create the first space port we will need two locations of mutual agreement in the venture.

The first would be a location close to the I.S.S. that way assistance can be rendered to the civilian space port if necessary.

The Civilian Space Port would be built exactly in the same manner that the I.S.S. was built but instead of having scientific modules docked with the Truss the following modules would be instead docked in their place.

The first modules would be the habit modules. This module would be the Tranquility Module used aboard the I.S.S.

Module Purpose - The module will contain the most advanced life support systems ever flown in space[citation needed]. These systems will recycle waste water for crew use and generate oxygen for the crew to breathe. In addition, Tranquility will contain an atmosphere revitalization system to remove contaminants from the atmosphere and monitor/control the atmosphere constituents of the ISS. Tranquility will also contain a Waste and Hygiene Compartment (toilet) for supporting the on-board crew.

en.wikipedia.org...(ISS_module)

The Tranquility Module would be ran the entire length of the truss work of the station to provide the above facilities.

The first module that would need to be added however to the truss work would be the Unity Module that would be used to couple the Tranquility Modules to.

en.wikipedia.org...

As each Tranquility Module is added to the Truss HEM C and HEM D modules would be added.

www.aer.bris.ac.uk...

HEM-C would be used for conferences, get togethers, basically general use such as the lounge of a train is used.

HEM-D would be used as the sleeping compartments for visitors and business people to use for.

There would be the height adjustment modules designed to keep the station in orbit located on the P2, S2 trusses.

And of course last not least would the EVA hatches located at various ports on the Hab Modules which would be used to then provide YOU the tourist with the ability to take a walk in space.

This type of station will work because the I.S.S. works. Its only a matter of replacing the science modules with habitation modules similar to that of the HEM-C and HEM-D.

The second location of the Unity Space Port would be located in the space above India where JAXA and the Indian Space Exploration Agency would launch their own version of the Unity One where the modules would appear different but would ships to dock with them because of the same type of Common Berthing Mechanisms used.

A Starliner would transport tourists from one Space Port the next and would similar in design of the Pilyhas-1 Starship that I have designed which is based off of I.S.S. modules.

The conceptual design that I have conceived of incorporates various I.S.S. modules into a working starship. It begins by re-engineering the ORION CM to be used as the command deck for the ship.
The Orion CM or OCM pronounced (Ock-um) would remain reletively the same except for minor changes.

The OCM will be reworked to house four crew members, the Pilot, Co-Pilot and Systems Monitoring Engineer and the SME Assistant. The area that would have been used for the remaining crew members would be replaced with cargo storage racks.

A Habitation Module similar to the cancelled I.S.S. Habitation Module would be built into the rear portion of the OCM. The Hab Mod would provide the Command and Service Module medical facilities in the event that the OCM Command Module would need to seperate from the rest of the ship.

Electrical power to the OCM and OCM Module would be supplied by the Orion's original solar paneling located near the engine nozzle portion of the OCM but would be located along the port and starboard sides of the Hab Module.

Thrust- The orginal thruster's from the Orion CM will not be removed or replaced. Four OMS Pod's would be added near the aft section of the OCM Hab Mod to allow for acceleration away from an incident site and towards the emergency rendevous site.

The various functions of the OCM and OCM Hab Mod would allow the crew a total of one to three months survival time depending on the circumstance of the emergency.

The next module would be a re-engineered EVA ISS module. The EVA Module would have the EVA hatch moved so that a mirrored docking system would be present on both sides. This interconnecting module would serve to create more structural configuration. During emergency seperation of modules bolts on the docking collar would rupture the connection between the module's allowing the crew to escape without towing the damaged module behind them. The EVA Docking module would be the standard module used to connect all modules of the ship together.

The next module would be another Habitat Module for additional crew facilities. Attached to the Port and Starboard docking points would be the HEM-C and HEM-D crew facilities

The next module in line would be a Hab Module designed to allow for scientific studies of the crew while in transit. HEM-C and HEM-D crew modules can be added to this module section if needed.

The next module would either be a 40 or 80 ton through cargo module. The Through Cargo module is built around the Habitate modules suvivability frame work but instead of being used as a crew module all of the facilities other than atmosphere revitalization will have been removed allowing for upto 40 to 80 tons of cargo to be ferried to or from the the transit point.

If transporting cargo is the only function of the mission then the second Habitat module can be removed to allow for an addition 40 or 80 ton cargo module to be added which will allow for 80 to 160 tons of cargo to be ferried to and from the transit point.

Behind the cargo modules would be the Jules Verne Engineering section. The Jules Verne Engineering section has the engines removed and mirrored on itself where the engines were. The interior of the Jules Verne would facilitate the control of all electronic system including the fuel systems of the main engine with secondary control's for life support and engine function's residing in the OCM. Additional fuel cells for the OCM are also located in the Jules Verne Engineering section. The Jules Verne Engineering Section would also house the ship's primary solar power that would power the entire ship during normal operation's. When an emergency arises emergency electrical power is sent to Yardney batteries in the OCM and OCM Command Module to allow for emergency power operation of the emergency vehicle until the OCM's solar array is able to generate the electrical power necessary to fully energize the Yardney's batteries.

The engine unit of the Pilyhas-1 has been the main problem with the design. The use of the chemical engines would create more weight for the ship necessitating the addition of fuel which would add more weight.

The use of chemical engines to provide minor thrust variation's would occur at thruster location's along each of the modules attached in line.

Main thrust would be provided by the VASIMR engine unit.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
The Pilyhas-1 would be built at the advanced ship building yard that would be similar to the I.S.S. except for the ASBY would be a single Truss unit where the modules would be assembled.

This type of system would allow for cheaper mission's to the Moon and eventually Mar's.

Dryson:
Here are some links to images of the Pilyhas-1 IPSS - 01.

i21.photobucket.com...

i21.photobucket.com...

i21.photobucket.com...

Another version of the Jules Verne Engineering Module meant to be connected betweeb two modules instead of being placed near the end of ship.

i21.photobucket.com...

Dryson:
Another Advanced Concept is the Pilyhas-1 IPSS-01/A/A1 Salvager/Construction Yard Ship.

In the salvager operation the IPSS-01/A would be deployed to sites where other vessels have been damaged and cannot manuever under their own propulsion system's.

In the Construction Yard operation the IPSS-01/A1 would be employed at the ASBY to more rapidly construct the various types of Pilyhas-1 Class ship's.

The IPSS-01/A/A1 would use it's Canadian Robotic Arm to attach to the PGDF fixture to tow the damaged vessel back to the yard as well as placing and assisting module into place at the ASBY.

i21.photobucket.com...

Dryson:
Another concept of a delivery vehicle is the IPS Cargo Delivery Vehicle.

Basically the cargo delivery vehicle is the external fuel tank used by the Shuttle Program where wings have been added along with avionics to allow the delivery vehicle to return to Earth to be used again.

i21.photobucket.com...

forum.nasaspaceflight.com...
edit on 21-4-2012 by Dryson because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Eventually the goal of the Unity One Space Port would be to continually add modules to the Unity One's location near the I.S.S. towards the Unity One Space Port built by JAXA and India so that one day a ring of stations would be complete that would link the West and East together.

To defend against hostile threats any of these types of defense systems would need to be added to the Ring.

www.space.com...

The easiest system to use would be add space based missile systems such as a HELLFIRE missile used with Apache Attack Helicopters in rotateable turrets at any of the Habitat Module Ports where a seperate and secure connection to the module would keep the turret safe from misuse while still allowing quick access in times of defense.

edit on 21-4-2012 by Dryson because: (no reason given)

new topics

join