It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Highway Stops For A Moment & Show Love To Those Killed In The Holocaust

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Exactly what it says

It starts with a few cars pulling over, once the sirens sound literally everyone stops and gets out for a moment of silence.

That is something we never see here but I find it very neat that everyone took that moment, even on a highway

I wonder is that mandatory?

Anyone from over there on ats experienced that? If so, please share

edit on 20-4-2012 by WeBrooklyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by WeBrooklyn

From what I gather, this is in Israel and is part of Yom Hazikaron, the Israeli Fallen Soldiers and Victims of Terrorism Remembrance Day or the equivalent of our Memorial Day.

Yom Hazikaron is the day on which Israel honors its fallen servicemen and women. National memorial services are held in the presence of Israel's top leadership and military personnel. The day opens with a siren the preceding evening at 20:00 (8:00 pm), given that in the Hebrew calendar system, the day begins at sunset. The siren is heard all over the country and lasts for one minute, during which Israelis stop everything (including driving, which stops highways) and stand in silence, commemorating the fallen and showing respect. Many religious Jews say prayers for the souls of the fallen soldiers at this time. The official ceremony to mark the opening of the day takes place at the Western Wall, and the flag of Israel is lowered to half staff.

A two-minute siren is heard at 11:00 the following morning, which marks the opening of the official memorial ceremonies and private remembrance gatherings at each cemetery where soldiers are buried. Many Israelis visit the resting places of loved ones throughout the day. The day officially draws to a close between 19:00 and 20:00 (7–8 p.m.) with the official ceremony of Israel Independence Day on Mount Herzl, when the flag of Israel is returned to full staff.

Scheduling Yom Hazikaron right before Yom Ha-Atzma'ut is intended to remind people of the price paid for independence and of what was achieved with the soldiers' sacrifice. This transition shows the importance of this day among Israelis, most of whom have served in the armed forces or have a connection with people who were killed during their military service.

There's no mention as to whether it's mandatory to stop, but I'm willing to wager that there will be hell to pay if you don't.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

Ah! Thank you for that

Yea it doesnt say but I agree after reading that they dont have much of a choice.

Its still a nice sight to see, we dont drop everything here to remember the fallen, sad

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Not quite the same, but in the South we generally pull over and stop our cars whenever a funeral procession passes by.

I remember my Dad stopping the car and waiting while the cars went by...and I asked him why we had stopped since we didn't know the deceased. He explained it was out of respect because everyone will someday lose a loved one. So we stop our car as a way to affirm the value of life, the loss experienced, and the recognition that our fate will inevitably be to take the same ride.

Or, we just pull over b/c everyone else is doing it and we don't want to look like a total jerk.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
It happens on the Holocaust and Heroism Remembrance Day,there is a siren in 10:00 in the morning.
en.wikipedia.org...
And it happens on Israeli Fallen Soldiers and Victims of Terrorism Remembrance Day (which is usually a week+/- later) at 20:00 and 11:00 in the mornging of next day.
en.wikipedia.org...
Evening of that next day is the Independance day.
It is not mandatory from legal perspective, but it is pretty mandatory from social norms. There are sectors that do not like the idea/it is not socially accepted so the reality depends on the region. In locations where majority are secular/religious Jews it is the norm for all and people who do not do it get crooked looks and sometimes are shouted at. In Arab and Jewish Ultra-religious towns and villages - it is not the norm and the opposite is true.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Not quite the same, but in the South we generally pull over and stop our cars whenever a funeral procession passes by. I remember my Dad stopping the car and waiting while the cars went by...and I asked him why we had stopped since we didn't know the deceased. He explained it was out of respect because everyone will someday lose a loved one. So we stop our car as a way to affirm the value of life, the loss experienced, and the recognition that our fate will inevitably be to take the same ride. Or, we just pull over b/c everyone else is doing it and we don't want to look like a total jerk.
reply to post by smyleegrl

Thats nice, Ive seen many processions passing and noone stops, looks, or cares. Maybe thats why I liked this video so much because EVERYTHING stopped. Everyone focused/thought the same thing, for just a moment,with respect

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
wow... thats some hardcore flashmob!

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Why cant they show love right now for the people who are oppressed
there is a second holocaust happening right now in Gaza
i though they said never again ...

oh right .. they are not jewish .. so its ok thousand die
has long no jews is affected or killed

twisted reality we live in

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Population of Jews in Poland pre WW2 - 3+ million.
Population of Jews in Poland after WW2 - 300000+ thousands.

Population of Gaza after 1968 - 300000+ thousands.
Population of Gaza in 2011 - 1.4+ millions.
Holocaust, you say?
You do not know what you are talking about, and i hope that you will not see something like this.

new topics

top topics

join