It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why So Many Quake Threads - STOP! Please

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
There are already threads that have tonnes of info and reports on pretty much everything relating to Earth Quakes and one can be found right here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please please stop with the posting of every shake rattle and roll that earth is giving us right now. I come to read about Fragile Earth in general, not every single quake regardless of size being discussed to death - Anyone heard the saying - CRY WOLF!!!

Thank you, that is all

edit on 17-4-2012 by StarTraveller because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Yes, I totally agree. However I have started to see a new trend: The sudden increase in the amount of "Why are there so many earthquake threads?" threads.

edit on 11/27/10 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Wow.. is this like a collective consciousness thing going on here or what?

There has been multiple people within the last hour to make a thread like this.

The funny part is I have yet to see an EQ thread pop in my face, honestly.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Mizzijr

That's what I was thinking.
Soon we'll need a "please stop with the 'please stop with the earthquake threads' thread."

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by StarTraveller
Why So Many Quake Threads - STOP! Please

why are there threads like yours ? STOP! Please, we already have a couple of them. I rather read about earthquakes than people complaining about threads about earthquakes. Just my opinion.

You know, you can always just not read them if it bothers you, that's always an option. There are a lot of things posted on here that I don't like, which I don't read.
edit on 4/17/2012 by taws6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by StarTraveller

Personally I feel there are too many. That is just my opinion. I don't tell them that! ATS is a free and open forum for people to post what they wish (within the T&C) Get used to it! If you don't like it go to that "Other" stupid and foul mouthed conspiracy site!

Are you a communist? Reason I ask is you seems to be pushing a web censorship agenda. You want to implement or force your opinion onto someone else!

There is a lot of EQ activity so people are right into it at the minute. Give them a break! If you don't like what's on the TV turn to another channel. It is that simple!

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoherentlyConfused
reply to post by Mizzijr

That's what I was thinking.
Soon we'll need a "please stop with the 'please stop with the earthquake threads' thread."

Yes I guess you're right, love this section of the forum and was shocked to see it cluttered with every quake from the past 48 hours.

Now, Off to start a thread to ask people (including myself) to stop making threads about stop making threads about stop making threads about quakes

Apologies if I upset anyone

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

not a commy fella, just a bear with a sore head is all. I am all for free speech and people rights. I will ssshhhh now and let them carry on. No harm intended.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
The number of large quakes world wide is alarming many people.

Then we get people saying I don't want more information.

The solution is simple - you do not have to read about them.

Personally, I am alarmed!

I also think the our Governments, collectively, know what is amiss. There are to many coincidences and considering the activity, the Governments and their agencies are mysteriously silent - except for "Don't worry - Be happy."

I am happy. I am also very concerned!

P

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Phat, its a bit hard to "change the channel" when every second thread is an earthquake thread!

The old "if you don't like it, don't read it" type of rhetoric is getting old, and does not apply in this instance, where we are bombarded with earthquake threads.

There is allready a big Earthquake Megathread, and that is where it should stay.

vvv

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Was exactly the point I was trying to make fella. Didn't mean to piss anyone off

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by StarTraveller

not a commy fella, just a bear with a sore head is all. I am all for free speech and people rights. I will ssshhhh now and let them carry on. No harm intended.

No offence taken. Just the ATS game. All good

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Phat, its a bit hard to "change the channel" when every second thread is an earthquake thread!

The old "if you don't like it, don't read it" type of rhetoric is getting old, and does not apply in this instance, where we are bombarded with earthquake threads.

There is allready a big Earthquake Megathread, and that is where it should stay.

vvv

Again, it is a free and open forum. You cannot dictate who posts what where. They have their right to do it the same way you have the right to complain. Right to complain but not force others to accept what you want.

Yes it might be old but it does definitely still apply. If you don't like it ..........................

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
People who live in earthquake prone areas are always interested. People like me that study quakes over time are always interested.

I took no offense, I understand your viewpoint.

It is a lot like mine when I softly lol for the latest UFO thread.

Each to their own. Still people are concerned with the current increased activity.

P

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Again, it is a free and open forum. You cannot dictate who posts what where. They have their right to do it the same way you have the right to complain. Right to complain but not force others to accept what you want. Yes it might be old but it does definitely still apply. If you don't like it ..........................

And again, its very difficult to avoid something I am not interested in, when it is everywhere!

I understand your point, and I do not disagree with it. However, there is a trend that is developing where people jump on bandwagons. This month it might be earthquakes, next month we are bombarded with tornados, or whatever the case may be.

A huge thread was opened to report earthquake activity in, and it makes a good reference thread for anyone who is interested and feel the need to stay up to date with earthquake activity.

I'd rather see topics open for discussion on the board, than a news article about a small earthquake with absolutely no impact on anyone.

vvv

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I agree, it's just look at me..look at me...look at me... they want to be first and start a thread... Have I been guilty of starting an earhquake thread? Yes... I will just post in the thread you suggest...in fact, I did it before you mentioned this fact... and I did it again this morning...it would be great if everyone agreed... but they won't... for too MANY it's just ego

Again it's.. look at me..look at me...look at me...

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
There is an awful lot of them popping up..sometimes 4 or 5 about the same quakes.

I vote that we move back on to another fad to continually post about...say for instance these strange noises that are being shown in videos on you tube..maybe the sky is falling..or is it Armageddon..lol just kidding

Seriously tho ATS will have trends on certain subjects that will pop up but then go as soon as they appeared, everyone will have something to say about whats fresh in the world.

Do not fret it will pass, unlike the BALROG It didn't pass
edit on 17-4-2012 by DukeEligos because: spelling

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Yes, earthquakes happen and so what if someone posts a 4.9 or less. Just because you dont care or wont wake up for it. oh well. Some of us do care and it is informative. Some people cant go usgs.gov or or earthquake website because they use cell phones, and they have apps.

Just go with the flow, if everyone here didn't post what they felt relevant, then there wouldnt be an ATS.

Or watch your cnn and foxnews and wait till something big enough happens that you will eventually find out.

Give me a break already, just like my weather threads. People say oh jeeze your posting another one. WHO CARES!!! dont comment, dont even look at it.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I'd bet money that they'll fade away within a short period of time - just like the Elenin threads did when Elenin failed.

I personally have not noticed an increase in earthquakes - last year I was counting between 30 and 40 per day, which got boring. I checked this year and have seen a few days go over 50 - but we don't really know if thats an increase. We may just have more sensitive equipment to detect them. The majority of them are under 3.0

According to the USGS

Q: Why are we having so many earthquakes? Has earthquake activity been increasing? Does this mean a big one is going to hit? OR We haven't had any earthquakes in a long time; does this mean that the pressure is building up?

A:
The NEIC now locates about 20,000 earthquakes each year, or approximately 55 per day. Because of the improvements in communications and the increased interest in natural disasters, the public now learns about earthquakes more quickly than ever before.

According to long-term records (since about 1900), we expect about 16 major earthquakes in any given year, which includes 15 earthquakes in the magnitude 7 range and one earthquake magnitude 8.0 or greater. In the past 38 years, from 1973 through 2011, our records show that we have exceeded the long-term average number of major earthquakes only 8 times, in 1976, 1990, 1995, 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2011.

The year with the largest total was 2010, with 24 earthquakes greater than or equal to magnitude 7.0. In other years the total was well below the 16 per year expected based on the long-term average: 1989 only saw 6, while 1988 saw only 7 major earthquakes.

55 per day... in the last week we did not exceed 52 by my count.

top topics

join