It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everything Homebrew!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Seriously?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Sure, why not? It wouldn't be the first time.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

*laughs* I am game!

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Ok, Let's see who else wants to join.

(I see only a few members participating. However, you'd need to do a full write up of flavor and experience. Are you up to that task?)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
A buddy of mine is looking to set up a huge brew day at his house sometime next month. Talk of brewing 3-4 beers at once outdoors with several different styles, labels, etc.

Really hoping it pans out. I haven't brewed in nearly 6 months.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Woohoo. That's 20 gallons, an all day event for sure. What are you planning on crafting?

That reminds me, I need to get gravity readings on my brews. They've been fermenting for a week now, plus or minus.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

IPA
Wheat beer (likely blackberry as my friend's wife LOVES that kind of beer)
Irish dry stout

All three are styles he's had and enjoyed in the past, which makes sense.

I want to brew one for myself too but will likely experiment with malt samples.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

We are having a similar get together near Ottawa, ON in 2 weeks. A whole bunch of us are making a weekend of it. Everyone is bringing their brew kits and the host is supplying water and hydro. It's going to be mashing and hopping around all day.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by palg1
reply to post by TXRabbit

Hops requires a temporate growing enviroment. Idealy the hop yard must be in direct sunlight and requires a minimum of 120 frost-free days in the summer growing season. It must have easy access to water, and plenty of room for vertical growth. Space along fences, garages, or property lines hold potential as hop yards. The prefered soil is loamy and well drained. I use manure and garden compost.

Thank you sir. Good info

Sounds like my Texas sun might come in handy afterall :-)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Dru - are you proposing a blind mail-in tasting competition? Sounds like it might be fun actually.

One thing I've noticed since I started brewing is how many people you talk to in casual conversation who either brew or once brewed or who want to brew. It's quite amazing really.

I'm thinking of posting something on MeetUp next time I do a batch or 2 just to get a group going here in my area. Has anyone done anything similar?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Dru - are you proposing a blind mail-in tasting competition? Sounds like it might be fun actually.

Zactly. nixie-nox the judge. Kinda silly, much fun, and very interesting. Interested? Got a few bottles of a homebrew lying around? We'll need to work out the deets, but I'm game.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I'm sure I could rustle something up

Set a target - date and I'll be sure I have something done by then. You can PM me the info if you want.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Oh hold till nixie replies. I'm bottling close to 5 cases (10 gallons) this weekend. I'll have plenty.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I'm down for a taste competition. I've got "a few" bottles of home brew lying around, even some 7 year old cider that is moi moi bueno.

I've also got an authentic Junmai Ginjo (sake) and various fruit wines.

Lately I've had an interest in making my own cheese too.. Wonder how that would hold up in the US Mail.

If this happens, we should outline some rules - We should figure out what types of beer our 'judges' like, and try to send at least similar styles to her/him. It's hard to judge a Sweet Stout against an Authentic Bavarian Hefeweisen, and so on.. It would really only work if the participants were sending similar styles.

If you're sending a bunch of different types of beer chances are the winner will be chosen based on style rather than actual taste comparisons, if that makes sense. That's why if you enter a competition you don't put your Strawberry Blonde Ale up against an Imperial Rye, and so on.

edit on 16-5-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit

Originally posted by palg1

Hops requires a temporate growing enviroment. Idealy the hop yard must be in direct sunlight and requires a minimum of 120 frost-free days in the summer growing season. It must have easy access to water, and plenty of room for vertical growth. Space along fences, garages, or property lines hold potential as hop yards. The prefered soil is loamy and well drained. I use manure and garden compost.

Thank you sir. Good info

Sounds like my Texas sun might come in handy afterall :-)

As you are in Texas take this into account... Hops rhysomes need a growth rest in the winter to be able to produce new growth in the spring. If you harvest rhysomes in the fall place them in your freezer for 6 weeks or so before replanting in the spring (Right now I don't have time to check on the exact time they need. I seem to recall that it is 6 weeks, might be 2 to 6, or something like that). I digress... Just remember that they do need it.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by palg1

I'm trying to find a time that will work for my friends. Right now, June seems unlikely but there are possibilities.

A friend and I were talking years about about a "Brewstock" type of thing where people get together to brew all day and listen to great music..with beer sharing and camping.

I still think that could happen one day for real. It's a concept that might seem problematic at first (drinking, rowdy music fans) but with the right amount of planning and coordination, can succeed.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Brewstock

What an awesome Idea.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by palg1

That sounds like a lot of fun! Darnnit! I need a passport!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Awesome!

i will see if I can get a friend to help, lol.
\

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Ok, we have at least 3 homebrewers willing to contribute to the contest. There are details to work out. Any ideas? How do you set this up? This is a new precedent.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join