It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

trip to florida, going to avoid discuusing the trayvon case while there!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
i am going on a trip to florida in may and i am going to avoid the trayvon topic like the plague. as a matter of fact i will probably avoid any political discussion because the political climate is very heated at this point and having a liberal semi pro democrat view on things will give me a target on my back while in republican country. i just dont think i can win any debate about it since all the facts arent fully available yet, plus i dont want to get any locals riled up lol. i will be staying in a repubulican friendly gated community so i will be sure not to stick out like a sore thumb i.e wear any hoodies or baseball caps or look thuggish lol there is a dress code there so i wont have a problem while that. well i will be visiting miami and the florida keys, does anyone have any suggestions of where to go visit? i will have my wife and 2 year old son with me so i have to keep it family friendly.
edit on 16-4-2012 by conspiracy nut because: spelling

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy nut

i'd say a blacked out car and a stash of cash to buy whatever looks like the local people are buying when you get down there but generally i'd say you're panicing over nothing just remember the 3 rules of polite conversation never mention politics,religion and taste in women and you wont go wrong anywhere on the planet and if in doubt just keep your cake hole shut

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria

i'd say a blacked out car and a stash of cash to buy whatever looks like the local people are buying when you get down there but generally i'd say you're panicing over nothing just remember the 3 rules of polite conversation never mention politics,religion and taste in women and you wont go wrong anywhere on the planet and if in doubt just keep your cake hole shut

why a blacked out car? yeah i totally agree with you about topics of polite conversation and it is especially true when people will not be agreeing with you!! so yeah i will be keeping my pie hole shut!

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Im off to Cali in two days and i wont be discussing these cases either.

Not through a fear of a good argument/discussion, through my lack of info this side of the pond (uk), this case seems to get a little more to it every day and ive not been able to keep up any more. However i will happily listen to others talk about it while keeping my British mouth shut like the second poster said

Anyway, enjoy your trip, i hope you have a nice time and you totally will, thats was nice state last time i went.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

they wont be able to see your skin colour so it wont matter if you drive through a wrong area as they wont be able to see that you aint a native and decide to have some fun

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
i will listen and try and get a feel for what the locals have to say about the whole thing but i will just keep my opinion to myself and for the most part try and keep an unbiased attitude lol i dont think it will be that bad as long as i dont try and debate about politics or declare my love for castro!

i cant wait! i have been to orange county and the l.a. area it was awesome. i was actually about to go to san diego but decided on the keys last minute. we went to key largo and st petes beach last year it was phenomenal! next year i will try and visit san diego.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I doubt the case will present any issues for your trip....

Hit Orlando, of course... DisneyWorld, Islands of Adventure (including the new Harry Potter addition), Universal Studios, Sea World, water parks, themed theater restaurants, etc. There's a reason it's the tourist capital of the world. Of course, can really drain the wallet.

i will listen and try and get a feel for what the locals have to say about the whole thing

Here's what a local thinks...

1. Not a race thing (for starters, the shooter was hispanic, not white!) The idiots trying to make it a race thing are the ones causing the uproar.
2. He was wrong to ignore the cops, pursue and shoot the kid. Period.
3. The kid was a punk (not some innocent sweetheart), but didn't deserve to die.
4. Legally, the way the Stand Your Ground law is written, he is probably going to get off, but it should show that DRASTIC clarification is needed with this law, as it is basically a license to kill for a PERCEIVED threat.
edit on 17-4-2012 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

I doubt the case will present any issues for your trip....

Hit Orlando, of course... DisneyWorld, Islands of Adventure (including the new Harry Potter addition), Universal Studios, Sea World, water parks, themed theater restaurants, etc. There's a reason it's the tourist capital of the world. Of course, can really drain the wallet.

i will listen and try and get a feel for what the locals have to say about the whole thing

Here's what a local thinks...

1. Not a race thing (for starters, the shooter was hispanic, not white!) The idiots trying to make it a race thing are the ones causing the uproar.
2. He was wrong to ignore the cops, pursue and shoot the kid. Period.
3. The kid was a punk (not some innocent sweetheart), but didn't deserve to die.
4. Legally, the way the Stand Your Ground law is written, he is probably going to get off, but it should show that DRASTIC clarification is needed with this law, as it is basically a license to kill for a PERCEIVED threat.

i will be visiting miami and the keys so i wont be near orlando, but that will definitely be a spot for a future vacation.

i have to disagree i dont think it would be wise to get in any form of debate with the locals, with liquor involved and the topic being so polarized i should avoid it altogether. i will remain neutral and be open to any opinions but i will just keep mine to myself while down there. i am admittedly pro trayvon but i do understand that i should be more neutral til all the facts are out. i also understand that it would be hard to remain that way even after a judgement is found seeing as how many past cases have gone bad i.e casey anthony, phil spector, oj, michael jackson etc etc cases like these are like bad boxing decisions i do not agree with all of them.

i dont think its a race thing and race shouldnt even be brought up in this case because in my opinion it doesent matter. about zims race, zimmerman is half white possibly jewish and half hispanic. it would be like saying obama is black but forgetting to mention he is half white. i also cannot agree with saying that trayvon was a punk without also mentioning that zimmerman was a punk. thanks for your opinion gazrock, i cant wait to visit your great state again and i will be as respectful as can be while down there!!

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Well, I can agree with not arguing the case (you're on vacation, not looking for a fight)....but especially if you aren't up on the "punk" aspect of the kid.

Do a bit of digging. His family and friends have been very busy cleaning up his image, deleting his online presence, and so on...so we don't see the whole story, but if you look into it, you can see for yourself.

He was in the neighborhood he was in unexpectedly (by Zimmerman) because he was suspended from school for 10 days and staying with his dad. His online ramblings glorify thug life, violence, etc. We don't see the pics of Trayvon with all of his tats, gold teeth, etc. No, we see clean cut kid pics only.

While his Twitter and MySpace, etc. accounts are now deleted, enough of them was grabbed before that happened to paint a pretty clear picture of the guy. And of course, he did assault the shooter before he was later shot.

Now, all that said, he STILL was wrongly murdered by Zimmerman. However, the Stand Your Ground law is SO vague, that I have a hard time seeing a jury convict on a murder charge with the law the way it is. That law really needs to have some clarifications added.

I can't think of any Floridian I know who thinks ZImmerman was in the moral right in shooting Trayvon, black, white, or any other color.

All that aside though, enjoy the vacation. It's a great place to visit, and live, even if some of the people are off the deep end. The keys are beautiful, and you're going to love it.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
In FL right now, I can say the following. I've heard about the Trayvon case literally countless times on the news, net, radio, etc.

Know how many times I've heard a person mention it in just normal day-to-day conversation? Once.

Unless you go around talking about it chances are it will never come up.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
for sure i will not be bringing it up! i just want to have fun and dont want to argue with anyone while down there! i cant wait!

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I can totally relate - was just there when the TM story first broke. Crackers be saying some crazy things about it, and even they thought TM was shot in the back when the story first came out, thought it was just fine too. Was also down there in '08, just after the election. I'm no fan of this Pres either, but ya shoulda heard what they were saying on the am radio - saying things like now minorities are coming for your property with the force of law. Rush Limbaugh is like an angel compared to many of the rightwing nutbags in FL.

But Florida has beautiful beaches! Have fun!

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Car rentals in Fla. are popular, go for it.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by chericher
Crackers be saying some crazy things about it, and even they thought

AMAZING how that word is ok to use...amazing it's not considered a racial slur. It is just so you know. I wouldnt be allowed to say the same sentence if I used the N word....so why should you be allowed to use a similar term?!

OP Im in FL, not a fan of it but the beaches where you will be are nice. I personally wouldn't waste your time with Disney or any of the theme parks until your kids are older. It's expensive and they won't remember. I went to them when I was young and didn't remember a thing but being sick at Sea World lol. I had to go again as an adult! Hope you have a nice trip!

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by rebellender

we will have a car waiting for us in miami. gonna hit up south beach first, then chill in key largo for a bit before driving through the keys and visiting key west. cant wait! super excited!

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Originally posted by chericher
Crackers be saying some crazy things about it, and even they thought

AMAZING how that word is ok to use...amazing it's not considered a racial slur. It is just so you know. I wouldnt be allowed to say the same sentence if I used the N word....so why should you be allowed to use a similar term?!

OP Im in FL, not a fan of it but the beaches where you will be are nice. I personally wouldn't waste your time with Disney or any of the theme parks until your kids are older. It's expensive and they won't remember. I went to them when I was young and didn't remember a thing but being sick at Sea World lol. I had to go again as an adult! Hope you have a nice trip!

why are u not a fan? well i cant wait i have been 2 florida twice now and i love it. i have to say though it probably is one of those nice place to visit but wouldnt want to live there type places, mainly because of the brutal summer heat and the hurricane season in the fall.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

I grew up here so it got old. I was never a fan of the summer here and always missed the cold and winters. I lived in upstate NY til I was 5. I have been in Florida ever since. Unless you are a beach fan there isn't much to do here. I can handle the beach but for only a couple months then it gets too hot to go outside.

I would prefer a mountain range and colder climate. I will probably be stuck in Florida for a while due to my current studies. I have thought about moving often but I would have to discuss with my bf.

The area live in is very touristy so it gets really crowed and it will drive most locals nuts lol

One day I will just be a tourist myself and I am quite fine with that. I wouldn't mind vacationing here because months like right now aren't too bad. It's been nice out lately, nice beach weather.

About hurricanes...I dont get too excited unless its a high cat 2 and above. Anything below and I stay home. If you have lived in FL most of your life you won't go anywhere for a hurricane. Most stay unless they are told to leave. It gets old leaving and then darn thing turns and doesn't even hit you. That happened to me too many times so I decided to wait it out from now on. So far I have had no problems
This past season was like it wasn't even there. So I wonder how 2012 will be. We had no winter here and spring well it kind of went to early summer early here.
edit on 4/22/2012 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
wow i used to love the cold and snow here in chicago, but this past year it seems to be making my aches worse and i have had a bad case of the winter blahs. the summers here suck its too damn humid and the lake is all dirty. we should trade locations lol

top topics

join