It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why we can't believe UFO videos anymore.....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I say this after just making comments about some UFO videos, only a few moments ago in another thread....I both enjoy debunking those videos that are easy to debunk, just as much as I enjoy being mystified by a clip I can't quite explain away.

The problem is......unfortunately.....CGI has gotten to the point now, where it's simply impossible to tell what's a real video and what isn't. Let me give you some examples......First this UFO "wave" from Australia

It looks pretty good....and to my eye, (which is generally pretty good at picking out CGI due to my experience in video/film production and photography) I can say that none of the clips struck me as being obvious CGI's ....There were a couple that I suspected....but as for the majority, I would have imagined them genuine. The problem is, that it's already known that all the clips in this Australian UFO Wave was nothing more than an admitted large scale hoax carried out by www.christopherkenworthy.com

Here's another video....This one not so much a hoax, as it is just a bit of fun.

Now, while this one isn't out to fool anyone.......It's done incredibly well! While I admit some of the starships in it are a bit easier to tell.....all the scenes involving the Death Star are near perfect!

Basically.....My point being: We've gone past the point of no return with CGI.....It's simply impossible to tell if any UFO video you watch has any validity whatsoever. The technology has caught up to the point where nearly any reality you can imagine can be rendered up on a computer....making video evidence of UFO's (or even the paranormal in general) pretty much useless.

I remember as a younger man....I never found still shots convincing....It was too easy to edit photographs...video clips were always much harder to dismiss.....Well sorry to say...but that day is gone my friends! Computer software makes video evidence almost useless.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
The same principle can be applied to any news now, including "real" news put out by the MSM. Not that they could be trusted before, but the more advanced their methods of deception get the more sceptical you should be of anything they report.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

So because MANY videos might be Cgi, we should dismiss ALL videos??

That makes no sense my friend.

Yes, its getting harder to spot the fake from the authentic, however, it should not discourage us. If we adopt this type of thinking, all videos and pics will be straight out dismissed, because we think its fake even before we watched it.

vvv
edit on 12-4-2012 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I believe in UFOs and I believe they are real. Our ancestors even had them drawn on stones and cave walls and these drawings depict the alien "grey" as well as saucer or disc shaped crafts. Back then there were no aircrafts so there are no arguments with regards to reversed engineered disc by the military. Today we encounter these arguments as well as many video "hoaxes" enhanced by CGI and whatnot so its not difficult to find more and more people disenchanted with this whole UFO affair. I would say 50% of the videos are hoaxes which can be debunked, 30% shot by people who genuinely don't know what they are shooting but they shoot all the same and the balance are the real stuff. Some of the more interesting pics and videos are shot from the ISS. The govt. can throw everything they have into the mix - dis info, disclosure, debunk and hoaxes but I stand firmly in my belief...UFOs do exist

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

So because MANY videos might be Cgi, we should dismiss ALL videos??

That makes no sense my friend.

Yes, its getting harder to spot the fake from the authentic, however, it should not discourage us. If we adopt this type of thinking, all videos and pics will be straight out dismissed, because we think its fake even before we watched it.

vvv
edit on 12-4-2012 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

No, I'm not necessarily saying they should ALL be dismissed.....Simply that they in and of themselves should not be considered as valid evidence anymore.

They could be considered genuine evidence if they meet certain criteria, of course.....

For instance if there are multiple witnesses, all of which can be verified, Perhaps even with multiple footage from various sources of the same event, and it has been ruled out that all these sources of footage are all not from some group of people that are all in on the hoax together (which in and of itself could be difficult to ascertain the truth of)....If such a situation comes about, then it would be a bit easier to accept the footage.

Another possible situation could be that some footage comes from a source that is considered to be basically trustworthy for one reason or another....For instance footage coming from NASA, or the military would be less likely to be an outright hoax....It could be argued that it would not be in the best interest of such organizations to hoax UFO footage...(which would not mean, of course that such footage could not be normal things simply misunderstood by the public, such as ice crystals and such)

There is a possibility that footage could also be verified as genuine if a computer video expert who is not biased (this is extremely important) can somehow analyze a clip in such a way as to tell beyond a shadow of a doubt that the clip was not created digitally. (I'm not sure how easy such a thing would be.....In fact if the hoaxer is as skilled as the expert examining the footage, then it may well be impossible)

There was a time when I could go by instinct.....Simply from my experience with video/film production and say "Yes that looks genuine" or "no that looks CGI'ed".....And while I still see many videos that I can quickly point as bad CGI, I no longer feel confident saying any video "looks genuine". The CGI has simply gotten to the point where it's too good, if a skilled hoaxer is creating it.

edit on 12-4-2012 by bhornbuckle75 because: Added something

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I don't disagree. But we shouldn't even be relying on videos/photographic evidence anyway, and I think you'll find the real UFO researchers will have less intent on footage and more focus on witness testimonials and such. Videos that crop up and are re-posted here but not by the author (film-maker of said video) put them very low on a legitimacy scale even before we've pressed "Play".

UFO videos are good for a bit of light entertainment but they are never going to help solve the mystery. But it's true - why do people go out of their way to make CGI videos? It's annoying yes but IMO the key is for people to realize videos are NOT the key to gaining a true understanding about UFOs.

CGI artists/hoaxers may feel they are doing something (god knows what) but what they themselves don't realize is that the reality of the situation will never be depicted through video anyway, so their material is illegitimate before they even create it.

I'm not saying all videos should be dismissed, but really the only viable ones to look into are videos taken by a witness who is the one presenting it to us, not just a video someone has found on YouTube. There's a book I've got which explains quite well why the further you get from the original witness the less likely it's going to have any effect, I may post up about it soon.
edit on 12-4-2012 by markymint because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   

The deathstar and other starwars stuff was really fun! Thank you.

It'd certainly be nice if budding CGI artists were to channel their energies into doing similar fun stuff as opposed to trolling for view counts on youtube for cash.

With a little more time and effort, budding CGI artists and animators could toss together the next Sin City if they'd just focus and put in the time.
Doing something like that, would net these people trying to dupe us for youtube views a whole load more than what their getting from adsense.
I think Sky Captian and the World of Tomorrow was similarly hashed together with 3D animation software by a single guy on his desktop system with a ton of patience and attention to detail where actors were then screened in.
How much did that guy make?

Anyway, yes, videos are getting more and more unreliable as a source. It seems, however, with EXIF data on digital stills, if one can get a RAW photo, stills are the better bet, though forced perspective with models, tossing things in the air, and other such methods can still fool.

Eh.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Why can't we believe UFO vids....?

My first thought was because of top notch debunkers like GreenEyedLeo. But yea, it's amazing that more cameras and better technology actually means less believable evidence, and I think it translates to more than just UFO's.

I've never taken a class on CGI or whatever but I'd assume that it would be an easy go to project to fake a UFO sighting....considering how many sci-fi movies REQUIRE CGI, it just seems like an obvious part of the curriculum. I don't see a conspiracy here.....just an unfortunate turn of events for those of us who do believe.

I offer no solutions, but there are so many eye witness accounts, plus video, plus photos, etc...that are consistent, by people who make no money off their evidence, who receive no fame(or often unwanted ridicule), that I think occasionally something legit gets by.

I'm buying, not necessarily these vids, but I've read into this enough to suspect we're being visited.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
CGI can't make anything that bad, strange lights in the sky have always been
UFOs since the Foo. That is all there was and will ever be. You just have to find
out why the lights and the issue will be resolved.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I agree. I myself will NOT consider ANY video or photo of UFO´s as evidence
of anything else except that somebody somewhere owns a camera.
And considering the ratio of authentic to fake, it´s the only logical course of action.
They´ll have to land right in front of me and introduce themselves before
i will say "very well."
edit on 12-4-2012 by LionOfGOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Have you spent time in the UFO forum? Everything gets dismissed anyway

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I agree but I doubt UFO hoaxes will be the worst problem to come of it.
The potential to manipulate footage of anything is there in such a way as to create all kinds of false news stories and events.
When such power exists someone inevitably will use it for far more nefarious purposes than fake alien saucers.
edit on 12-4-2012 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
For me, once I hear any type of music in the background, it's automatically discredited.

Being a UFO enthusiasts (and experiencer) and being around many like-minded people for years, I can tell you that jazzing it up (by piping in music) or calling more attention to it (like using words like "death star") is not the typical desire or penchant from the people who genuinely want to share their authentic experience with others.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
when i come on here & read about a new UFO video i nearly always keep an open mind until i see it,most of the time there youtube video's with somebody shooting a camera out of the window & within a few hours they are proven hoax's.

It's hard seperating the good video's from the fake one's but there are some really smart people on these boards who see through them straight away,with CGI getting better all the time it gets more frustrating when trying to seek the truth about UFO's things like that

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
So it's ye olde because some are fakes every single thing that follows must be fakes excuse huh?

I agree, we must be very cautious when dealing with these UFO videos. Where I don't agree is that every single one must be fakes.

As for me, I won't watch an edited video anymore because it can be so easily edited. I want to see the unedited original, not any edited copy.

Not all of them are fakes, but that doesn't necessarily mean that those that aren't are alien space craft either.

Just be cautious with them, and make sure you take the video to multiple experts to examine And look for the natural explanation first before going hog wild on alien space craft.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
If someone uploaded footage of Chinese lanterns they see floating majestically over their neighbourhood, as an example; with a footage heading that reads something like: 'Chinese lanterns I filmed last night'-- would anyone question it? Suspected CGI or not; the only reason it's posted in a place like this is because the person who uploaded it is suggesting it's strange by using -- ufo/ strange lights/ craft etc etc in the footage heading! Someone who nobody knows from Adam!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Billiam132

I couldn't get your video link to work....could you try reposting it?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75
)

There is a possibility that footage could also be verified as genuine if a computer video expert who is not biased (this is extremely important) can somehow analyze a clip in such a way as to tell beyond a shadow of a doubt that the clip was not created digitally. (I'm not sure how easy such a thing would be.....In fact if the hoaxer is as skilled as the expert examining the footage, then it may well be impossible)

edit on 12-4-2012 by bhornbuckle75 because: Added something

There is no such thing as an unbiased person. If you have a subjective consciousness, you are biased by it whether you realize it or not. I'm biased, and so are you.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
No one is stopping you believing

if you have a belief then good for you, personally I know there are what we percieve to be aliens on this planet.

<<   2 >>

join