It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice needed re: driving and jobs.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I'm 25 years old, and I don't drive.
This is the one thing in my life I am unhappy with because it is holding me back.
I have come across jobs time and again, that would be perfect for me, but the job description states that a drivers licence is required.
But I find myself in that horrible catch 22 situation.
I need a job to be able to get my licence, and take lessons and pass my driving test. But I need to drive to be able to get most of these jobs.

I have had jobs in the past, but due to circumstances, never had enough spare money to book lessons, my family were far from well off and I had a waste of a boyfriend, and we don't learn to drive in school like some people choose to do in the US, but I really wish we'd had that option too.

Anyway, I applied for this amazing job last week. My friend told me about it because he works for the same company, and I asked him if driving would be a problem, since I don't, and he said no, there are other people who work there who can drive. It's not even listed in the job description as being a necessity. He really made it sound like I have a chance of getting a job there, and to be honest, I really got my hopes up. Job pickings are pretty slim at the moment.
I phoned the company yesterday to ask if they had received my application because it had been a week since I'd sent it, and they hadn't so I resent it. I almost immediately got a response asking if I hold a full clean drivers licence.

I said I didn't but that I intend to learn to drive as soon as I get a job. I didn't get a reply.

I spoke to the guy that worked there, and told him about what had transpired, and he made it out like driving was actually a pretty critical part of the job

So now I don't know what to do.
I couldn't sleep last night because it really bothered me and stressed me out. If I was in a position to learn to drive right now, I would. I hate feeling like my options are more than halved because of the fact I don't drive.
So at midnight, I wandered to the living room and put my laptop back on and drafted an email.

I basically asked her not to write me off just because I don't drive. I explained that I fully intend to take an intensive driving course and learn to drive as soon as I am able, and that I wouldn't mind staying behind while the children in the home (it's in a childrens residential home) are take on trips, and doing paper work, maintaining the home, studying for my qualifications etc, and that I plan to make myself a brilliant asset to their company and the home I'd be positioned at.

I didn't send it. Not yet anyway.
Am I doing the right thing? I tried to avoid words such as 'desperate', though I am, I didn't want to plead and beg and make a nuisance of myself. I decided I'd sleep on it. But I'm still as stressed about it.

Now, I could be getting my dander up over nothing. The fact that she didn't reply after I said I don't drive is a little worrying, but it was 4.30pm, and she might have been getting ready to leave the office and had other things to do. And the fact that driving isn't in the job description suggests to me, that if you do, great, if you don't, well there are others who can.

This is just so important to me. Not only is it the start of my career, it would really top off my life at the moment, and I don't want it to be spoilt just because I don't drive. My son is starting school this year, we've just bought a house, and starting my career would really be the icing on the cake.

Sorry to bother you, I just wanted to say, please don't write me off as a potential employee because I don't drive.

I have found myself in that catch twenty two situation where driving is an every day essential skill I currently lack, but in order to learn to drive, I would need a job to pay for it, and in order to get most jobs these days, it would be preferable that I drove.
Forgive me if I am incorrect, I understand that there are three residential homes under *** in the area, ****, ******* and *******. While it would be more convenient for me to be situated in either of the local homes, I would not be opposed to getting a train to work should I be put in at ****.
I know that you require drivers to take the children places, but I wouldn't mind staying behind to maintain the residence, do paper work, and study for my qualifications while they are gone on trips.
I am a very good academic learner and I would not be surprised if I gained my qualifications quite quickly, and while I wasn't working, I would be taking intensive driving lessons to make myself available further more quickly.
This career would be so important to me, I have absolutely no intention of gaining my qualifications and leaving. I know driving is not in the job description, and can understand why it would be preferable to interview candidates who can drive, but I just wanted to say, I am willing to do whatever it takes to become a really good asset to the home and the company.

Does this sound ok? Is there anything you would add or change? Would you send it?

Some people might think this is stupid, but when you're not working and you're in need of a break, you'd do almost anything to make it happen....

You might say "Why don't you just get another job? A normal job, check out, grocery store etc", and here is why.
People in the area are so desperate for work, over 500 people applied for a job at TESCO.
Not to mention the fact, that I have worked in many of these roles over the last ten years, and this kind of work doesn't suit me. I require a stimulating environment to thrive and enjoy my job, and I don't get on well in mindless menial job roles.
edit on 5-4-2012 by Lulzaroonie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Lulzaroonie

I'm thinking that you live in a large city in the UK as they have quite the Mass transit system. I know folk here in the US who have the same problem.

Myself? I never understood why folk don't learn to drive. I learned when I was eight. Granted it was a tractor, but it was a start.

Don't you have a friend who can take you to a empty parking lot and teach you? I actually took a course in High School. It was mandatory, but in the long run useless as I had already been driving for years. Albiet illegally.

But I was never pulled over as I never did anything stupid in the process. I looked like everybody else on the road.
edit on 5-4-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
What kind of job are you after?

I've never come across a job where you need a license before, besides the obvious ones like pizza delivery or truck driver etc.

It would seem to me like the other 90% of all jobs don't need a license.

I'm not sure they'll like your reply, they probably don't care about your problems and it may seem like whinging to them, not the attitude they would want in an employee, they probably want someone who will just DO what needs to be done, not give a list of reasons why they can't.

edit on 5-4-2012 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

I'm thinking that you live in a large city in the UK as they have quite the Mass transit system. I know folk here in the US who have the same problem.

Myself? I never understood why folk don't learn to drive. I learned when I was eight. Granted it was a tractor, but it was a start.

Don't you have a friend who can take you to a empty parking lot and teach you?

No I live in a small town on the coast, the nearest city is about 11 miles away, and even then it's not a big one.

I know driving is one of those things where once you can do it, you're like "omg why didn't I do this sooner?"

My issue was that I never had parents to teach me, since my Mum has never driven, and when I was of an age to learn, she moved to another country and left me here, and I moved in with a boyfriend, and all my wages went on living.

I don't know if any of my friends would trust me with their cars
The one and only time I tried driving (4 years ago), in a very wide, and mostly empty road, I went into the side of a car because I thought the steering would be more responsive
And I might have almost burnt out the engine because I had no idea what I was doing....
I know better now, but yeah... probably best I go with a professional

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior
What kind of job are you after?

I've never come across a job where you need a license before, besides the obvious ones like pizza delivery or truck driver etc.

It would seem to me like the other 90% of all jobs don't need a license.

I'm not sure they'll like your reply, they probably don't care about your problems and it may seem like whinging to them, not the attitude they would want in an employee, they probably want someone who will just DO what needs to be done, not give a list of reasons why they can't.

edit on 5-4-2012 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

I'm applying for a job in a childrens residential home. Driving is only required for trips, so it's not totally necessary.
Licences are required for jobs like estate agents/real estate, to be able to get to properties etc since many operate within a large radius.
And I don't consider myself to be making excuses about why I can't do something, I thought of it more as "Don't give up on me because I CAN'T, hang on to me because I WILL."

But if you think it sounds a bit whiny, I'll just have to rejig it is all.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Re read your email...think it over and reread it again. Don't get into to much personnal stuff.

You might not get the job, but honesty is the best policy in my opinion.

Good luck!

edit on 5-4-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   

I like your attitude in not giving up, but your email is more a collection of excuses, instead, write them an email telling them exactly why you are fabulous for the job, apart from this one, tiny, little shortcoming. Don't make excuses, clearly state that it is your intention to learn to drive, but then go on to explain how brilliant and committed you are to work with children. ALSO, absolutely do not tell them what you are not prepared to do, wait until you get the job before you lay down that kind of info...instead tell them how familiar and comfortable you are with public transport etc. In short showcase yourself. It might not work, it may not get you the job....but it might get you noticed and if you can get an interview you are at least part of the way there. If not this time next time. But either way, for future reference, always show yourself in your best light, if they want to find faults they will and don't need your help to point them out.

As far as the driving is concerned, I never have any intention of learning to drive, I hate cars and do not have the focus not to kill someone...and on occasion it has meant that I can't apply for certain jobs, but on the whole, I have been able to prove my freedom and mobility without a use of a car, which demonstrates me to be determined and resourceful to employers...see what I mean, take every negative and turn it on it's head. I have never been out of work unless I wanted to be.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Biliverdin

I really appreciate your honest response (everyone), I hadn't realised I sounded like I was trying to make excuses for myself, but I can see that through being stressed and bothered, my own judgement was clouded, and so I see and understand where you are coming from.

You said "ALSO, absolutely do not tell them what you are not prepared to do, wait until you get the job before you lay down that kind of info..", I just want to double check, is this a pre-emptive warning in case I do say such a thing, or have I already done that and not realised?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Ah never mind, I just got an email from them saying they're only employing drivers
Back to the drawing board I guess.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Pre-emptive. You do really well in pointing out that you are willing to travel to the other homes, that's good.

Really all you need to do is go through and change 'could' 'would' etc...to 'will' 'can' etc. Make it as affirmative as possible. My current job, I opened my application letter with 'I am perfect for this job'...and kept on that flow, not bragging or arrogant, but enough for them to see that I had thought through all the requirements and knew that I could do it. They didn't doubt me for a second, and the interview was a walk in the park because they already wanted me for the job. Don't be afraid to be confident, remember that if you know that you can do this, that they will be lucky to have you.

Good luck.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Doesn't matter. Minor setback. Next time you will be better equipped.

Besides, a couple of times, I have been called back when the person they employed, because they seemed a little better on paper, didn't turn out to be up for the job.

Onwards and upwards. Their loss. Okay?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
work 2 or 3 fast food jobs or non driving jobs until you get the cash for driving lessons and a license.
If you want it bad enough, you'll do whatever it takes to get it done.
Ride a bike to get there if needed.
Just keep in mind that the work situation is just temporary and you will not have to work 80 plus hours a week forever.
There is light at the end of the tunnel, and it is probably not a train!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biliverdin

Doesn't matter. Minor setback. Next time you will be better equipped.

Besides, a couple of times, I have been called back when the person they employed, because they seemed a little better on paper, didn't turn out to be up for the job.

Onwards and upwards. Their loss. Okay?

Thank you, truly.
I really wanted this, I won't deny I'm a little upset, but I've found something else I'm going to apply for along the same lines, and I'll take everything you have said into consideration while I write to them.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Most places of employment (at least here in the US) prefer potential employees to have a reliable means of transportation outside of mass transit. It's not make-or-break, but it shows responsibility and proof that one can get to work early if need be.

I see they responded already. Tough break. I'm not sure how expensive it is in the UK, but there are driving courses here for relatively cheap. I'd suggest you start calling places TODAY to find out what they charge and when you can start. If you really feel having a license is the only thing holding you back, then start the process TODAY.

Best of luck to you. Cheers.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

A provisional licence (which you need before you start learning) is £50.
Lessons are usually around £20 per hour lesson, and some people have upwards of 15-20 lessons before they take their tests. Then you need to pay for your tests.
Right now, the only thing that is holding me back is the money aspect.
As you may have gathered lol, I'm unemployed, and we have a VERY limited income, as well as bills and credit cards that need paying (biggest mistake ever!). I might not sound like much, but £20 is the equivalent of like a weeks shopping.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Wow, that's kind of steep. Would any relatives be able to help foot the bill if you could pay them back?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Well I've discussed it in short with my parents, and they are in some financial difficulties at the moment as my mum is registered as disabled, and so my step-dad is working, but they have a lot on their plates at the moment, they have to move soon etc.
All I can say is that it's been talked about very briefly on the phone, and nothing in depth.
I'm kicking myself for not learning sooner, but this is just one of many mistakes I could have avoided had I realised the future problems with jobs that I would face.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Hi,having read through the letter that you propose to send I have attached an ammended letter that you might like to have a look at.

Dear ________________,
Further to my recent application for employment within your organisation.
I would like to state that commencing a career in the children’s care sector has been an ambition of mine for a number of years now, and to achieve this goal I would, of course, apply myself diligently in obtaining any qualifications which may be a requirement for working within this sector.

As I stated in my original application to you, I do not at present hold a full driving licence, but were I successful in gaining employment with your organisation, I would make the gaining of my driving licence a priority, should this be required.

I sincerely hope that you can look favourably at my application as I believe that I would be an asset to your company and would look forward to developing myself both professionally and personally whilst in your employ.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Ya I cant quite imagine places were they don't use the car for pretty much everything, even in some off the beaten path town in the UK that sounds really bizarre for me. No really I do kind of find it hard to believe.

But hey send your resume and explanations, driving is really one of the easiest things to learn. It's freaking cake, withing minutes you should get the hang of it especially if its automatic.
If it's stick shift and you never drove before might take a bit more time, but its still cake.

I don't know how they do things there but it should not be all that hard to learn and to pass whatever you have to do there to get a licences. If is that jobs driving requirement and your using some company car or something and if there are not that many people in your part of the world who drive to and fro then the company should just teach or set up a class for the necessaries of driving the company vehicles. Really the whole class can be done in a a day in a few hours at most, and you should be familiar with driving and what you need to do while driving.

Pretty weird, I remember when I applied for my job while ago it required all kinds of driving and operation of machinery anything from little tugs to bigger things. And during the training all they did was, OK get on drove back and forth then got off and bam that was it, like the whole minute of it.

Even the more complicated machinery like the K-loaders which weigh 30,000 pounds and over, the dude made me sign bunch of papers explained the basics of how it works, went down then got on he demonstrated once then bam! that was it, apparently I was ready to go. # the first time I used it, they and the supervisor neglected to tell me a whole bunch of things but it was mostly common sense things so no bigy, except the part about how the things breaks were broken.

He/they only informed me of that as I was close to pulling it to the plane by way of hand gestures and attempt's at telepathy. And trust me something that weighs 30k does not stop on a dime like cars do, even with the breaks working, much less if it's got no dam breaks... But anyways fun times.

Ya op if you never drove before its really pretty easy, you will have a harder time completing the paperwork for the requirements of driving anything, then the actual driving or learning to drive. I truly have played harder to learn and control videogames then any driving or operations of any actual vehicles I ever drove in real life.

So you should do fine op.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
This won't help you with jobs where you need to hold a full license, but if you need a way to get too and from a job then you could look into getting a scooter / moped, look at the "wheels 2 work" program.

They will lend you a scooter, give you the basic training for free and set you up with insurance and tax etc. You will have to do a google search to see if the scheme runs in your area though.

Google "wheels 2 work" and see if you qualify
If you don't or theres not one in your area there may be similar schemes where you are that you could ask the people at the job centre about.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join