It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officers receive long sentences in Katrina shootings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Officers receive long sentences in Katrina shootings

www.csmonitor.com

A federal judge sentenced five former police officers to years in prison for the deadly shootings on a New Orleans bridge in the chaotic days following Hurricane Katrina but not before lashing out at prosecutors for allowing others involved to serve lighter penalties for their crimes.

Police gunned down 17-year-old James Brissette and 40-year-old Ronald Madison, who were both unarmed, and wounded four others on Sept. 4, 2005, less than a week after the storm devastated New Orleans.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

To cover it up, the officers planted a gun, fabricated witnesses and falsified reports. Defense attorneys have indicated they will appeal.

Retired Sgt. Arthur "Archie" Kaufman, who was assigned to investigate the shootings, received six years in prison — a sentence below the federal guidelines. Kaufman wasn't charged in the shootings but was convicted of helping orchestrate the cover-up.

Well at least some of them got convicted. I have family that has been in New Orleans and Slidell for generations... and some of what they were telling me was happening while it was going on was simply unbelievable.

That was before I started waking up to police brutality and learning exactly how often police, literally, get away with murder.

Cheers to the judge and the DA for sending these subhuman bastards to prison for the rest of their lives.

I hope they get sent to genpop with some friends or family members of the people they killed on that bridge.

One last thought from the article...

"Citing witnesses for perjury at this trial would be like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500," Engelhardt said.

Go get 'em judge...

At least we can still rely on the Judicial Branch to stand-up for us. At least for the time being.

www.csmonitor.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 4-4-2012 by YouAreLiedTo because: edited for spelling and ex tags

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Thats it only "TO YEARS"

Slap on the wrist.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
It's not justice because the system itself is not changed. Those who abuse the powers obtained by working for the system, can only abuse the powers of a system that is already abused. Nevertheless, atleast they will serve "some" time. Death should be the penalty in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
Thats it only "TO YEARS"

Slap on the wrist.

The longest sentences for four of the officers ranged from 35 to 60 years.

Hardly a slap on the wrist... but it hardly brings back the people they murdered either.

I say hang 'em from the bridge... but I doubt that would ever happen

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

in ga 3 cops killed an old lady serving a warrent they lied to get.
the longest sentance was 6yrs
if a civilian was apart of a conspiracy to cover up murder you would get life or the chair.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Your thread title is misleading:The article says FORMER officers.Those things are NOT Officers

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Yes, I live just outside New Orleans and was very happy with the sentences! One of the guys sentenced today came into my old job after he was "let go" from the police dept! My boss made me make a copy of his drivers license! He was even going to hire the guy, but I knew his name sounded familiar and I was like come on, you don't just let go of a job with the police dept, with benefits and all that to come work minimum wage driving job, so I googled him and the Danziger Bridge shooting came up! LOL

We didn't hire him!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Homedawg

Your thread title is misleading:The article says FORMER officers.Those things are NOT Officers

Five former officers sentenced in Katrina killings

They were officers at the time they committed their crimes - that is the most relevant fact.

The MSM has mostly kept quiet about this story like they do with most dirty cop stories.

To make the shootings appear justified, officers conspired to plant a gun, fabricate witnesses, and falsify reports.

“Citing witnesses for perjury at this trial would be like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500,’’ Engelhardt said.

edit on 5-4-2012 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
It's a slap on the wrist and legally-sanctioned murder. They were crossing the bridge to get to safety during the flooding and those cops killed them in cold blood. They should hang.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Cases involving corruption and public officials should be left to the citizens and only citizens, no government employees, to decide the fate of the accused.

If it were up to me, I'd make em wear pink jumpsuits with a squiggly tail. Then we could sit back and watch how long they last in jail. We can even make a show out of it and call it, Who still wants to be a corrupt official?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Homedawg

When posting in the BAN forum, you are supposed to use the title of the article as printed... which is what I did.

Blame the source, not the messenger

top topics

join