It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starting my own very small business (more like market stool/online) anyone done something similar?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Hi ATS so basically I have had many jobs since leaving school at 17 from apprenticeships, to office roles, to more industrial/factory jobs. Basically things which I started as a career because I thought that it would be good to get qualified as a skilled tradesmen, despite not having too much of a particular interest in them. TO be honest I wish I could turn back time and have found my passions earlier as at college I never had a clue what I wanted to do and was not aware that the things I was interested in like military history and music were viable career options as I was never given much careers advice and ended up trying to try my hand studying a bit of everything instead of one thing.

Aaaanyway sorry I am going on a bit,. Basically I am 25 and music has always been my passion and also has meant that I have left many jobs since I started full time work at 17 as I have always pursued playing in a band more seriously than an actual career. At times I have really regretted this as I wish that I had taken it easy for a few years and learnt a trade that would have enabled me to work for myself an finance my passion later in life. At the same time though having done this I would have missed out on some amazing experiences like at 17 playing with some of my favourite bands who I had only admired at festivals/on dvds and posters etc and being able to play gigs across Europe and at venues I had only ever fantasised about playing before. So in short I don't regret it too much, but have come to a point when I want to do something financially for myself.

I have always worked rather than be unemployed in these tough times, while looking for permanent 'proper' jobs I have always worked any terribly paid, rubbish job available, if that means working out in the rain humping bricks all day (not well suited to my 5ft 7inch frame I might add!) or in a boiling hot factory bored out of my skull all day. Recently though I lost my job as a recruitment consultant when the company went under. I have been forced to sign on as the only work has been just single days here and there.

I have recently started working with a friend of mine both as couriers, sub contracting to a large data storage company. I love the idea of working for myself, being able to take time of to play gigs I have and for the first time in a while I am actually able to commit to going on tour in a few months without fear of having no job to come back to and I am VERY happy

The money is actually surprisingly good, but with fuel prices going up and the economy how it is we are looking at other ways to make money so that if our work dries up we have another source of income at the ready.

Now we can already do the man and a van thing if we really have to, but what I am interested in is selling goods online and at things like markets and car boot sales. This may seem low end, but it can easily make the two of us enough money to survive and pay for me to be out on the road for a few months playing music which is what matters to me most. I have been going to car boot sales with my friend recently and I have been amazed at the bargains on offer, but also at the amount a few people are making from selling surplus designer clothes as well. They are not selling them for the usual super knock down prices and I began searching for wholesalers and have started forming some ideas for the kinds of things that I think could turn a decent profit.

I was just interested if anyone here on ATS had done anything similar as I know that a lot of people are doing this sort of thing online. A lot of these traders are understandably very quite about where they buy from etc so rather than ask them I have been asking around family friends who have done similar things and just anyone who could offer an insight and advice really. I would love to hear from anyone on ATS who has any advice or tales of experience that may help.

I am really sick of struggling being unemployed or working for minimum wage while I wait for the golden job offers to materialise which truth be told are jobs that may pay good, but will not make me happy. I would much rather make something happen for myself and am willing to invest the time and effort (and what money I have) into this. First though I want to learn all I can before taking the plunge, I will have steady income coming in so I figure that I should ask around, listen and learn. I know it's not rocket science by any means, but I'm sure the people who turn these into good, viable businesses would have plenty of advice to a young gun like myself trying to jump in and get something going. So if anyone can help with some advice feel free.

Also to anyone about to post a snotty response about how I should have studied more and picked a subject to stick with at school please don't waste your time. I can't change the past, but even if I could I have enjoyed my life so much I don't think I would despite not being on the fast track to corporate business bliss

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Good for you man!

Always wonderful to hear about people wanting to do things to improve their lives, instead of just feeling like they have no choice but to be stuck. You've been there, you know it can be better

My brother and I just this week opened our own business and it's a great feeling

Main thing I can advise is to be confident in yourself and whatever system you've got going on. That's the main key. Everything else will fall into place as time goes.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I've tried the wholesale thing. To be honest, It just wasn't for me.
In my opinion you should make your own product which doubles or even tripples your profits compared to reselling.
Custom T-shirts, Bags, Art, Crafts, Stuff like that. Check out ETSY.COM
You'd be amazed at the stuff people buy.
Good Luck!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

Thanks Jomina, you're right, even though I'm just planning things out at the moment I feel really excited to be doing something for myself and not working away all day for someone else. I would work twice as hard and twice as long for something that I have started myself.

Honestly when I was an apprentice I hated my job and was there so long I felt trapped and when I left I felt relieved, but for ages after I've felt as if I would always be stuck in this recession without a decent job. What I've come to realise though is that you can't mope around and feel sorry for yourself, I know I'm going to make things happen for myself now while I have the power to and this is the greatest freedom I have ever felt. It is a little bit daunting thinking about investing all the money that I have on something, but I'm confident that with a bit of good advice and common sense I will do just fine.

I wish you great luck on your new business, I think it's great when family are in business together as well. My friend basically is the older brother I never had and it's great knowing we have each other for support and to work with.

Again thank you for the support and I will strive to empower myself with knowledge so that I am confident in what I am doing. Thank you for the kind advice

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I am a crafter on artifre and also sell things at fairs and events. I hated working for others and was determined to figure out a way to make money doing my own thing. I am looking forward to expanding in the near future as I have a lot of ideas for future endeavors. Starting my own business seemed like a huge undertaking at first...and it is... but as I work my what through it I know I made the right choice.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

Funny you should say that. I am actually looking at working with some local designers who are very talented as I personally am not amazing at art unless it involves an instrument. Me and my friend both have our own bands though and we sell our own merch at gigs which mostly consists of t - shirts and hoodies and they are definitely more profitable. It seems though that the demand for designer clothes is just so sky high that it seems to be the more viable option at the moment. I am definitely considering either creating some of our own clothes or working with designers locally to help them sell theirs.

Thanks for the advice, it is definitely something that I am going to consider strongly.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Sounds like you have the drive. Don't lose it!

If your into music....I would suggest melding your music interests with you entrepreneurial aspirations.

Car boot sales are a dead horse.....Don't write them off though.....they can be a great way to get rid of dead stock.

I would try and find some decent action houses in the UK that deal with folded business's.

In Australia there are quite a few and you constantly see instruments/stock from folded music shops.

I would suggest buying on auction sites and slowly build up your asset/stock level.

Don't spend a cent unless it is a bargain.

A good formula I use is.....

1/2 x retail = maximum gross takings ..........i.e. If it retails for $100.....maximum takings will be about $50.

If you can sell something for $50.....then your cost price MUST be less than $25.

One more thing with respect to music....

Don't expect to make big dollars on high end gear.

There is a huge market for cheap instruments from parents trying to inspire their children.

Sure.....If you can pick up a Les Paul for $1000 and sell it for $5000....get it....but expect to wait a few months to find the right buyer.

new topics

top topics

join