It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone Who Profits Off Of Ufo, Or Alien Topics.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Ok here it is.

Do any of you guys not believe that it's wrong for anyone to profit off the topic of ufos, and aliens? Understanding that people like Stan Friedman, and Dr Greer have made a life long living off of these topics when in reality they know nothing more than any of you believers on the matter. I am sure some of you believers from ATS probably know more on the topic than most of if not all of these guys.

Seriously consider this. Is it right for Stan to pocket $30.000 - $100.000 for speaking engagement's? The books endorsements? Is it right for Dr Greer to pocket over a Million dollars a year for holding his little alien camp-outs for believers, and the gullible?

To me No-One has the right to profit off of anything that has not been proven, and in all likely hood is the biggest hoax perpetrated on man-kind besides the Mayans calendar dooms day idea. No-One has the right to take money from something they have no way of proofing, or showing hard-core evidence to back up their claims. Evidence that can be tested and showed to be not of this earth! This is my opinion, and I'd love to read yours on this issue...

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr_skepticc

I've bought books by Shermer, Sagan, Denzler, Bennet and Shostak...all on the subject of space aliens and UFOs.

Maybe you should send them a memo or something?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   

well after seeing 3 spaceships in my life, im a believer and if you still deny that ufo, alien, etc are among us... well sorry but go back to your cave and just die there.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   

It's ok to profit from The Gullible .
A fool and his money are easily parted.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Well...I think they have every right in the world to profit. After all, all the books that I learned from in school have false "facts" in them. So does most literature that teaches of history....truth is there is a lot we do know about history, but there is also a lot that is speculated and exaggerated. For every subject there will always be "believers" in the world. I have a similar view on many topics. There is no tangible evidence that I have ever seen that the bible is true without exaggeration, etc..., yet there are many who follow it's teachings based on faith. Same applies to quite a few subjects, and aliens/ufo's happen to be one of them. People have faith and believe there is something else so there is a market for it.

Would it make everyone in the world gullible to have learned in grade school that Chris Columbus discovered America, only to learn later in life that what we were taught was wrong? How many history books were sold with that information in them....and how many other untruths were in those same books?
edit on 4/4/12 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/4/12 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
we are supposed to have 'free' markets... if the author wants to peddle fantasy'...then let the buyer beware

i do think that whomever has powers/foresight/psychic blessings should not capitalize on the gift but should reveal their visions or knowledge to all... that was not really possible before we had things like 'Twitter' and other social media connections....

back before technology became almost universal... the gifted person was hobbled by the extent of word-of-mouth publicity and a six-degrees of separation friendship circle...

many people who had normal working lives also had gifts as seers, prophets, forecasters, shamans, but had no money to pay publishers or the ability do speaking tour circuits at all those non-existent UFO and Psychic Fairs which have since blossomed in most metro areas all over the world.
edit on 4-4-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by skywalk

Don't you think telling someone to die is a bit harsh? If you don't know how to have a simple debate or discussion on a topic, than please stay off my threads. Thanks!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by skywalk

well after seeing 3 spaceships in my life, im a believer and if you still deny that ufo, alien, etc are among us... well sorry but go back to your cave and just die there.

Do you honestly think everybody should now become a believer just because you have had three sightings ?
That is ridiculous.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnprince

I think his point is that we all should pay him money because he had three sightings!

Back to topic though, I think it's fair that a few individuals in the field make money through books, interviews, videos and even websites. There is a lot of work involved when writing a book or creating an online database of sightings, it takes a lot of research, time and patience, and that should be rewarded.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Alas, the line between public information and freak show is a fine one indeed. Nowadays we tend to trust the estabilished and institutional news sources (which, by the way, do it for money too in case you hadn't noticed) and we instinctively distrust other independent sources. This is a natural form of self defence in a world where it is impossible to distinguish truth from lies in the deafening barrage of information. Thus we block out whoever is not in our "safe" list and, as a consequence, blindly believe what we have chosen to be true, which is often correct, mind you, only we are necessarily limited to just a portion of truth. That's the price we must pay.

So in the case of anyone else proclaiming their "truth" the immediate and natural answer is, of course, "he/she's doing it for the money/fame/stardom delusions/whatever" and this is sadly true in most cases. The few who DO have something to say, or have had some truly extraordinary experience really have no choice except add their voice to the chaos or hand themselves to mainstream media, with the risk of showing up in what apparently professes itself to be a serious scientific program, but then turns out to be the usual tv freak show. Serious science programs won't come anywhere near these topics to protect their authority, reinforcing the concept that all UFO people are deranged loons.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Everyone's got to make a living, no?

If your so against people earning cash from the subject, why visit ATS? Don't the owners of this site earn some coin?

Myself, I've nothing against it. If your stupid enough to fall for schisters, toody baddy. I take people as they come. If they sound like their full of turd, I ignore them or call them on it. No reason to assume people are full of it just coz they make a quid.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
it may be morally wrong to take money from people who are buying this stuff because you beleive it's all bs, but it's without a doubt, genious.
all the bs for sale isn't good for the ufology club anyways, the more crap thats out there the more diluted any real research becomes.
if you can make money, do it because money might not be around for ever..

this isn't the only market where people buy stuff from people who probably don't even beleive.
alternative medicines,
anti-aging crap,
Religion.
edit on 4/4/2012 by listerofsmeg because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr_skepticc
Ok here it is.

Do any of you guys not believe that it's wrong for anyone to profit off the topic of ufos, and aliens? Understanding that people like Stan Friedman, and Dr Greer have made a life long living off of these topics when in reality they know nothing more than any of you believers on the matter. I am sure some of you believers from ATS probably know more on the topic than most of if not all of these guys.

Seriously consider this. Is it right for Stan to pocket $30.000 - $100.000 for speaking engagement's? The books endorsements? Is it right for Dr Greer to pocket over a Million dollars a year for holding his little alien camp-outs for believers, and the gullible?

To me No-One has the right to profit off of anything that has not been proven, and in all likely hood is the biggest hoax perpetrated on man-kind besides the Mayans calendar dooms day idea. No-One has the right to take money from something they have no way of proofing, or showing hard-core evidence to back up their claims. Evidence that can be tested and showed to be not of this earth! This is my opinion, and I'd love to read yours on this issue...

well said Mr skepticc i am of the same opinion as you

truly well said.as is ufology is a mess.and with all the new age crap thats spilling in we will not find anything at the end

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

It's not wrong for people to profit from UFO related books even if their existence has not been proven. Some researchers are excellent at what they do, so there is no reason for them not to benefit from their work, writings and opinions etc.

What is not right is for people to make a profit by deliberately misleading people, ie. Saying 'I have a photo of an alien'.... that turns out to be a moth. Or, 'I can contact UFOs and get them to appear'......but then says they can only perform this magical act for a small number of paying customers and not the whole world. You mentioned Greer didn't you?

The trouble is it's almost impossible to prove that someone has set out to be deliberately fraudulent (and not just nuts!) unless you could bug all their conversations and catch them in the act. That of course would be illegal and unfeasible. Unfortunately people have free will and can choose to support such morally corrupt people in the UFO field.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr_skepticc
Ok here it is.

As an intelligent contributor to ATS, I can't believe you would post such thread. But since you did, let us look at it this way, in reverse order: Was it right for Carl Sagan to go running around the world making tons of money claiming that UFOs did not exist?

Short answer to my own question; Yes, of course, even thought I know he was full of **it and himself).

And it is "right" for any others to get up there and claim what they want to espouse.
Should they have a license from the government to speak a particular point of view?
Is it hate speech, racist? What offends you about making money that way?

Or is this a personal view of yours wanting to stomp out those that speak too purposely, clearly and accurately on what is becoming more proven about every day?

Or is this simply a phony argument to obtain responses?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I see them as no different than any other "working man". There are thousands of useless jobs/careers and people get paid for doing them. Whoever wants to pay...go ahead. You can download almost everything for free from the net...if you know where to look.

What is the difference? Write an SF novel and you get paid for that. People like it so much that they form fan clubs, dress up as their favorite characters, buy stuff branded with logos of the book/film, go on massive geek conventions, almost living out those characters. And what do you say about it? Oh, that's ok 'cos that's fantasy. The end result is the same. People get sucked in by the theme and spend money on it.

Oh...and by the way...you can also buy the Bible...which is of course, a very much true and provable account of the historic events.... /end sarcasm. Sue the church....make them prove everything is true in there.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

If people shouldn't profit, from things that have not been proven, you pretty much just removed the financial incentive for a scientist to do pretty much anything.

Edit: In addition, 99% of as seen on TV products, would never make it.
edit on 4-4-2012 by judgiebegoode because: addition

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
No, it would be hard to either publish anything, get it out to people in your community and in your town library if you don't publish.

I believe in the Venus Project type world, but we're living in this one.

That is something that people have said for years, as a kind of ethics about anyone speaking for up for anything, if they profit in any way, they criticize them heavily, but it seems to me that is a control mechanisms, and I guess the ones using that yardstick are all wealthy. If you spend time on a project and make that your work, you need a living.

And the only way you can get info out to the public is to put lots of copies in the library and put things in print and educate your community.

So in the end that is just another control chip.

However don't bring up Greer, for those overpriced groups of his.

Its not the same thing. There should be a skywatching group in every area, with meetups and local radio time and projects for builiding telescopes and even modding infared and meditation. It should be free and pass the hat for projects.

So obviously common sense applies here.

The idea of tireless profitless work, and then living in a trailor somwhere without heat, doesn't compute.

The idea of don't make profit, therefore don't info out to people, or books in the library or in print, is the rich controllers trying to stop disclosure, and stop waking people up.

Jim Mars makes money selling his books, on conspiracies. He is living his dream more or less and making his biggest interest into his lifes work.

Is that wrong?

No, its not. The only ones who benefit from that being wrong, are the controllers of this system.
edit on 4-4-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

On top of what everyone else has said.....

I have little time or patience to request document after document through FOIA from all of the alphabet soup agencies.

Stanton and others have done that. They have spent years requesting some of those documents. So ....it's only fair they can provide for their families in the mean time.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I was just looking at it from this side of things.......Wasn't it wrong for Jim Jones to lead people into thinking he was God?..I mean he knew these people were easy to take advantage of, but yet he just kept on and on until it cost them their life's. I'm not saying by these people saying what they say is going to cause mass suicides; however, what I am saying is, is it not wrong to take advantage of others because you know they'll believe most of what you say because of your background being as a doctor, or nuclear physicist?

These people profit, and make an absolutely great living by feeding off the gullible, and hard-core believers. Kinda like the same thing Jim Jones did, feeding off the hard-core believes of others. To me this just seems wrong, and really should be illegal. I don't believe they should be able to profit off of gimmicks, tricks, or imaginary tales being sold as TRUTH!

I believe these people should have to carry some sort of advisory labels before speaking, or accepting any funds for anything they do that clearly states its baseless, and unfounded information.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join