It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity vs Atheism: The Facts

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

My point here is, you're both full of it. And neither of you has a clue, but neither wantsw to admit it because that means admitting you're wrong and they're right and you lose control and they will obviously take control from you so they can rule a world by telling it how it came to be and turning it into a destiny that is really just brainwashing the people into serving you instead of God or science...which actually turns out to be military science, otherwise known as the exquisite art of blow # up.

These two images? Beautiful, aren't they? I find an unusual amount of truth in them, for the internet...One talks about Zombie Jesus who was his own father, and the other talks about nothing creating something which turns into dinosaurs. Hey, what do you expect from a picture full of rhetorical double speak that comes out to "Can't keep up? That means I'm right."

Now that we've had an introduction to both sides of the bull# spectrum, let's try this approach: STOP BLOWING EACH OTHER THE # UP AND TRY NOT CONTROLLING THE MASSES FOR YOUR OWN SELFISH DESIRES!!!

Maybe if we adhered to the religion of "Take care of everyone before yourself" we would be a better world. But no...we are the stupidest species on the planet, and those two images are the best things we have to fight over.

Don't you feel cool?

edit on CFridaypm191901f01America/Chicago30 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

This has been explained over and over. I am an atheist because I reject the claim that gods exist. That's all man. How everything got here, I don't know. What does the evidence suggest? That's what we need to find out.

I could say that it was the big bang that caused it. Another atheist might say the universe has always existed. Another atheist may say something different than that. All we have in common is that we do not believe gods exist. Why is that so hard to understand? I mean, believers even reject all gods but their own. We just go one step further.

As far as caring and loving for each other, I am in the same boat as you. It's hard to do that though when you are told you are going to burn for an eternity because you don't believe the same as somebody else.
edit on 30-3-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

You must have a reason to believe that every religion in the world is wrong.

I'm not saying they are right; I'm saying you have a reason to not believe them. I appreciate your logic, by the way. But what's your justification?
edit on CFridaypm565602f02America/Chicago30 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I don't agree

Atheism is NOT the belief that everything came from nothing. Therefore you are making a false point at best, and falling into the realm of a straw-man argument.

As a side note, I think most scientists agree that there is no such thing as "nothing" lol.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Gruffly

You do realize that no one has created a solid, fool-proof big bang theory yet, right?

They're still working on it. Oh, and how about the Law of Probability? You know, the one stating that if we were betting, not a single man in the world would have gone against the odds of our world being here.

Yeah. We're that lucky.

Really? What about the fact that atoms are mostly air? What fills that space? We haven't completely dissected the atom, yet we say there's no such thing as nothing, even when we're staring at it.

Admit it, your scientists don't know jack about the origins of our universe. There's no shame in saying, "I don't know."
edit on CFridaypm030307f07America/Chicago30 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

You must have a reason to believe that every religion in the world is wrong.

I'm not saying they are right; I'm saying you have a reason to not believe them. I appreciate your logic, by the way. But what's your justification?[
Who said that I said they were wrong? I don't have that knowledge. It is up to them, the ones who claim it is true, to provide evidence for why they believe it. Until then, why should I accept their beliefs? All I am doing is rejecting those beliefs until they can prove them to be true. Isn't that logical and rational? Otherwise, I should believe every single belief mankind has come up with. Does that make sense?

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I am an atheist because I reject the claim that gods exist.

What says that you say every religion is wrong? ^ this does. That was you, was it not?

Thought so. In my experience, rejection falls in line with saying "You're wrong. Bugger off."
edit on CFridaypm424208f08America/Chicago30 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Just be a agnostic that way your covered at all bases

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3
Just be a agnostic that way your covered at all bases

But what if there really is a god, and we just can't define it?

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
let's get this straight.

No religious person KNOWS FOR A FACT that God exists. There is no evidence.
No scientist KNOWS FOR A FACT that God does not exist.

What are we left with?

Oh, that's right: Noone knows nothing, we are all still learning; no matter what you all like to believe. We know, nothing.
edit on 30/3/12 by David291 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

but what if there isnt? Doh, that line of thought is so invalid. "what if" just doesn't fit the bill. Oh yeah, it does if it comes to religion.

edit on 30/3/12 by David291 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
What says that you say every religion is wrong? ^ this does. That was you, was it not?

Thought so. In my experience, rejection falls in line with saying "You're wrong. Bugger off."
Seems what we have here is a failure to communicate. Rejecting a claim is not me saying that someone is wrong. I just don't believe it until it is proven to be true.

Notice, I don't say, "Gods do not exist!" What an atheist says is, "I do not believe gods exist." Now, that CAN change, just provide some evidence for it. I think most atheists are open-minded. But from my experiences, most believers minds are closed and will not for one second admit that they could be wrong. Can I be wrong? Sure.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Why does it even matter? If I believe or don't believe how is that hurting anyone as long as I don't impose my belief system on someone else?

I'm Agnostic, by the way, and as such I am still straddling the proverbial fence. I have never heard an Atheist tell someone that if they don't believe their way then they are going to burn in hell forever, however, I have heard Christians say that.

On the other hand I have heard Atheists tell believers that they are "stupid", "morons", "illogical", etc. Both sides are guilty of trying to ram their beliefs down the others throats.

If you are Atheist, Agnostic, or a believer in God/gods then it is fine to have open dialogue with anyone, believer or not, as long as it is a productive debate.

Leave the finger-pointing and hell-fire rhetoric at home.
edit on 3/30/2012 by mikelkhall because: change hear to heard

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikelkhall
On the other hand I have heard Atheists tell believers that they are "stupid", "morons", "illogical", etc. Both sides are guilty of trying to ram their beliefs down the others throats.
You haven't heard those terms coming from christians towards atheists? I could show you an example right now if you like...

www.youtube.com...
edit on 30-3-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

And... so by your argument that means that a magical bearded fairy in the sky did it all?

I don't purport to have the answers, the whole basis of science is not about having the answers either it's about discovering and theorizing the how and why based on evidence. Science will never have all of the answers because there are always new questions. Science doesn't make claims, science makes sense of what evidence is available.

Religion makes extraordinary claims and extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Of which there is none. Absolutely zero. Religion has the sole responsibility of proof since it is making the claim.

I'm not atheist, I'm agnostic and feel that there is some merit to the belief of another layer of reality beyond which we are currently incapable of understanding. I personally dislike organized religion because of the claims made in absolute terms with no evidence. That doesn't mean that I think that I have the answers.

Science is just the method, not an end.
Religion is the end and has no logical method.
They are separate concepts, working on separate levels, with separate goals.

Its illogical to make comparisons between them.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Of course I have and I don't need you to point them out to me. If you would read and not get offended I did say that both sides are guilty.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Whenever I hear people complaining about atheists, this is what I usually have in mind:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mikelkhall

I've heard plenty of religious people call atheists names too lol just watch the Atheist Experience. There are over-emotional people making poor decision in every group. We are all flawed

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Another Atheist thread? Do Atheists ever start Atheist threads?

Religions are a chosen belief.

I do not want a government of religious beliefs.

Beginning and End. Done.

edit on 30-3-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikelkhall
Of course I have and I don't need you to point them out to me. If you would read and not get offended I did say that both sides are guilty.
I didn't see where you said that christians call atheists stupid, moronic, and ignorant. Looked like you were just claiming atheists did that to christians. Sorry for misunderstanding.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join