It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The editor of my local paper writes: "Marshall Plan? Maybe it's martial law that we need"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
The editor of my paper published a commentary this morning that he authored dealing with the current state of our city. Now, I can't deny that what he says below isn't true:

And there you have it. A month in the life of an officer. Head to the podium to pick up a much-merited award ... and then see your life, and the life of a colleague, in danger a few weeks later. That's reality in Stockton these days. And if you'll forgive my language, our reality right now sucks. Stockton set a dubious record with 58 homicides during 2011. Through March 23, 2011, there were five homicides in Stockton. Through that date this year, the total stood at 14. So we're almost three times ahead of the rate for our most deadly year ever? OK, we're struggling as a city. Big time. Guilty. We'll stipulate to that. The unemployment rate. The foreclosure rate. Potential civic bankruptcy. And so on.

But then he finishes off the article by making this statement:

It's difficult to say where things are headed in our fight against crime. There are many people - in SPD, in city government, in the community - who are working hard to improve things. Their diligence and fortitude deserve respect and aid. But it's understandably draining when at times it seems as if we don't need a Marshall Plan as much as we need martial law.

Maybe I'm being a bit sensitive here, but it's not like my city is some Podunk hick town. We have a population of over a quarter of a million people, and Forbes and the FBI seem to love spotlighting every fault our city has for all the nation to witness by placing us on every sh*tlist they can. Furthermore, my paper is owned by Rupert Murdoch and never fails to excel as a purveyor of propaganda for TPTB. It's kind of hard to dismiss these flippant comments about "martial law," given these facts.

And, to add further fuel to the fire, recently, the president of our Police Officer's Association made a public statement that if our city files for bankruptcy, we may have to call in the National Guard.

REALLY?

Now, I don't know if these comments are being made for shock value, or if they are really a sign of what's to come. Mark my words, I intend to find out. The atmosphere of distrust in our government existing at the present time is not conducive to comments like these unless they are trying to stir some unrest, in my opinion.

www.recordnet.com.../20120325/A_ NEWS0801/203250314

edit on 25-3-2012 by NightGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I think it was more of a comment of frustration than a plan for the future. He said "at times" it seems like we need martial law. He is just defending cops in this article and showing his frustration.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Yeah, stockton ca. We heard so many great things about the place.

And to add. it says their jail only has room for another, what, 171 people.

There were 42 bookings at the San Joaquin County Jail in the 24 hours ending at 8 a.m. Saturday. At that time, there were 1,240 people held at the jail, which has an official capacity of 1,411.

www.recordnet.com

Good luck with that city.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Socrato

You could be right, Socrato. Maybe there's nothing more to it than that. All the same, I can't help but wonder if there is an ulterior motive here. Perhaps testing the waters to see what public reaction would be. Considering the continuous use of blatant propaganda I see in this paper, I can't help but raise my eyebrow at these remarks.

I have no doubt that if enough people read this and think it's a good idea--then become vocal about it--our officials would gladly oblige. The suspicious side of me thinks they are trying to plant a seed.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by emberscott

Yeah, and the things you hear aren't exaggerations, either. That's why after 48 years, I'm finally getting the hell out of here.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy
reply to post by emberscott

Yeah, and the things you hear aren't exaggerations, either. That's why after 48 years, I'm finally getting the hell out of here.

Probably a good idea. Just doing random reading of the place atm. Found this on the city police website.

Stockton Crime Map

It has been busy over the last seven days. Tried to go back the last fourteen days but says there is too many crimes to map.

Says city is in bankruptcy mediation and is now being sued by wells fargo bank for not paying loans. Looks like wells fargo is going to foreclose on city property.

Yeah does not look good. May be california's detroit.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
It's important that you mention this to your friends and neighbors. I'm afraid my world view has been inexorably changed after seeing the disturbing movie Hunger Games. It was an Illuminatti advertisement for Coming Attractions.

It's very likely (1/6 chance) your local paper is owned by the same parent company that made that sick piece of trash. They may be sending up trial balloons. The problem is their plan will only work as a reaction to public unrest. Somehow your town and towns all over must find ways to raise awareness, empathy and consciousness.

Don't live in fear. I'm praying for you and your town. I'm certain you will succeed!

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

That's reality in Stockton these days. And if you'll forgive my language, our reality right now sucks.

That was in a local article? This guy won't be winning any pulitzer's I mean.. damn, are they intentionally that awful?

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by zarp3333

What is with you guys biting so hard on this hunger games crap. The movie is just a total rip off of a movie that came out like ten years ago called Battle Royale based on a book that came out like 15 years ago.

Stephen King wrote the long walk and the running man like 30 sum years ago.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Stockton was a great location for the worst low budget sci-fi movies ever made, "Omega Cop" and "Omega Cop II".
It was made in 1990 and starred Ron Marchini as John Travis, Adam West as Prescott, Troy Donahue as Slim and Stuart Whitman as Dr. Latimer.

The star (Ron Marchini) and his girlfriend were shot at in a gang drive by after filming on location during the making of Omega Cop II. I guess those Stockton homeboys saw Omega Cop I and give it a bad review.

edit on 25-3-2012 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Clarity

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

You mean this?

Well.. that looks.. awful.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

I can't watch the video, but if it is a clip from the movie, then I agree, awful.

A family member gave me the DVD of OC I and I thought the location looked like a gangland ghost town. Being from Detroit, I knew what I was looking at and even checked the credits to see what the filming location was so I would never go there in the future!

edit on 25-3-2012 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

new topics

top topics

join