It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police to ignore California impound law amid concern of fairness to illegal immigrants

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
The Los Angeles Police Department will soon start ignoring California state law, which requires police to impound the vehicles of unlicensed drivers for 30 days.

The majority of unlicensed motorists in Los Angeles are immigrants who are in the country illegally and have low-income jobs. The LAPD says the state's impound law is unfair because it limits their ability to get to their jobs and imposes a steep fine to get their car back.

As long as drivers can produce some form of I.D., proof of insurance and vehicle registration, they'll be allowed to keep their car. Police Chief Charlie Beck insists that it's simply leveling the playing field.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

Really?!!! This is just absolute madness anymore. How is this even considered is beyond me? What the hell is wrong with you public workers in California seriously? I just don't understand the logic in that state anymore, leveling the playing field. Madness is what this is, like the guy in the article who lost his kid to an unlicensed driver said he doesn't care what color or nationality the person was the simple fact of lax regulations led to the death of his son. Now more laws in favor of people here illegally than the taxpaying lawful citizen who might be going through a tough time. I give up.......

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Good for the Police!
You shouldn't just take someone's vehicle because they are illegal immigrants. If the paperwork is in order then I don't see the problem. I realise immigration is a hot potato but singling out these people sounds like racial profiling. If people/companies were prepared to pay an honest and fair pay for an honest day's work then the problem wouldn't be there.
edit on 23/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Grammar and double sentences

ETA THey pay tax on fuel, insurance, registration, etc so the last part of your argument is moot imho.
edit on 23/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

edit on 23/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

So the fact they are driving around without a license doesn't bother you as well? You me and anyone else needs to have a license but we will give them a free pass because they might not have the funds to acquire one, and they get to keep the car but you or I lose it? Like I said madness, unless I read wrong and they don't take legal citizens cars due to the same situation.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

Good for the Police!
You shouldn't just take someone's vehicle because they are illegal immigrants. If the paperwork is in order then I don't see the problem. I realise immigration is a hot potato but singling out these people sounds like racial profiling. If people/companies were prepared to pay an honest and fair pay for an honest day's work then the problem wouldn't be there.
edit on 23/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Grammar and double sentences

ETA THey pay tax on fuel, insurance, registration, etc so the last part of your argument is moot imho.

edit on 23/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

Maybe actually reading the OP, or for that matter, being able to understand it, will save you future embarassment.

So you are fine with people driving without license, methinks you are part of the issue here...

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Juanxlink

Just to be cler, a license does not say you can drive, it says you may drive. Get my drift?

ETA Despite your little comment, I am not part of the problem, I am part of the solution.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Yep, I would get rid of my license and just wait for them to come for me. Then I would sue the stuffing out of the police, the officer, the city and the state. Illegals should not have more rights than Americans.

On another note. How do they register the car and get insurance with no license?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Yeah it seems you need to tell them everything short of which way your junk hangs in order to get insurance and registration these days. Excellent point

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Now that's a pertinent question! Do not blame the people, blame the system.
People are trying to do honest work and provide for themselves and their families. Period.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   

The majority of unlicensed motorists in Los Angeles are immigrants who are in the country illegally and have low-income jobs. The LAPD says the state's impound law is unfair because it limits their ability to get to their jobs and imposes a steep fine to get their car back.

How ironic! The primary mission of a police department is to uphold and enforce laws. It seems that somehow, they have taken their eye off of that ball. I believe that they all need a refresher course, in order to relearn the meaning of the word ILLEGAL.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Um, shouldn't the illegals be getting deported?

I mean, we can all worry about their cars and their right to get to work, but. . . um. . . . . I thought that if you were here illegally, you got deported.

(did I miss the memo?)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

In all reality if we can't even get people to make them follow the same laws the rest of society has to follow then I suspect deportation won't be happening anytime soon. But then again another excellent point. Sure we are just being to mean and discriminatory the nerve of us wanting people to follow the laws.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

I believe that they all need a refresher course, in order to relearn the meaning of the word ILLEGAL.

These days most will just tell you the meaning of the word is a sick bird!!!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel
reply to post by beezzer

In all reality if we can't even get people to make them follow the same laws the rest of society has to follow then I suspect deportation won't be happening anytime soon. But then again another excellent point. Sure we are just being to mean and discriminatory the nerve of us wanting people to follow the laws.

Just to be clear;
If an illegal is stopped in a vehicle that has no license, he can go on his way.

If I get stopped driving without a license, I get fined and my car gets impounded.

Is it any wonder why California hasn't been imploded by it's own stupidity?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

I guess in America legal citizens are the ones that are persecuted by police and get the full force of the law.

Illegals now are the lucky ones.

America is getting better and better for those that are braking the law as long as they are illegal, kind of incentive to keep braking the laws now in California.

Nothing but morons behind laws this days including the whores we call politicians in Washington.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Thats what I get from the article, hence the reason for my head nearly exploding. This country is so bassackwards it's a wonder it's still functioning? I know in a lot of my replies to threads I come off kind of brash against people thinking stupidly, the governments lack of common sense and the bad taste that the troops have left in my mouth from blindly following ridiculous orders. But there comes a point in which a person can only take the stupidity and lack of reasonable thinking without absolutely going insane. A point in which I have reached and this article just furthered my feelings of we are all so screwed anymore.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

It has to do with interest money as long as interest money supporting the illegal immigration gets into the small pockets of moron government officials at state level and then in the big pockets of whores in big government the corporate dictatorship in America keeps cementing its rule.

Illegals are important to private interest, regardless of how they screw the tax payers and legal voters in the nation.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Illegals get to pick and choose which laws they wish to follow. Too many of our citizens have been killed by illegal drunken drivers, many with previous arrests and deportations. In a nearby town, one young man was run over and dragged down the road before he died by an illegal drunken driver.

You can't have some people following laws and give foreigners a free pass.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I know it's hard to tell by people's location in their profile, but how do the people of California feel about this issue? Do you agree / disagree, whats your stance? Do you feel your officials are dropping the ball on this issue, I live on the other side of the country so kinda hard for me to even fathom the problems this causes for you folks. We don't have much of a problem here on the northern border like down there. About the only dealing we have around here is the summer months when all the migrants are working the farms, even then most license plates are from Florida and you can't really tell who's here legally or not just by looking at someone. But I will add that I do see many many migrant workers at the grocery stores sending money via western union daily here during the peak months. I would imagine back to their families back home.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Exactly try that in any other country and see how far you get. Jail time and deportation if your lucky.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Perhaps the saying on the Statue of Liberty should be modified from:

'Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free...

to read:

'Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, and let those people break the laws of the land, because we OWE it to them, and besides, we NEED their votes.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join