It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Wolves - A Cherokee Parable with Wisdom Needed Now

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+100 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/ra4f679799.jpg[/atsimg]

I remember when I first encountered this parable many years ago. When running across it again recently, it struck a chord with me yet again.

An old Cherokee chief was teaching his grandson about life...

"A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy. "It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves.

"One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, self-doubt, and ego.

"The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith.

"This same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?"

The old chief simply replied, "The one you feed."

Author Unknown

Source

Simple wisdom - as much profound wisdom often is. Yet we oft forget, believing that we await the "right" circumstances to come along first. Familar mindset? If only we had the right income, the right home, the right partner, the right health, the right external circumstances, the right situation, the right "things," THEN we could be happy, joyful, loving, compassionate. This is a grievous error, but one so often made in our times.

We must cultivate, feed that which we wish to grow. This is as true of our emotions as it is of anything else. In these most challenging and transitional times we live in, it very well may make THE difference in the world in which we find ourselves.

edit on 3/19/2012 by Open2Truth because: grammar malfunction

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I've never read this before, OP. Thanks for sharing it.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Simply wonderful.

Thank you for posting this.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Open2Truth

That's strange. I just brought this up to my girlfriend last night. This is only the 3rd time I have thought about it. The first time I found it was about 5 years ago, and then I randomly bring it up last night, talking about the world, and I think I was explaining the law of one books, (which I havn't read yet)

and then you post this the next day haha. OK I get it. jeez... Feed the good wolf. Fine..

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I to have applaud this story.
Our thoughts, intent and will act to create our own reality in each moment.
Great truth simply stated.

and I thought I had read all the Cherokee myths...
edit on 19-3-2012 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

I absolutely love it when synchronicity speaks volumes. Thanks for sharing a bit about how this came up in your experience recently.

By the way, very interesting reading you have to look forward to.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
How very true.

And that is the reason we are fed so much fear on a daily basis. If only people knew they had a choice instead of reacting without thinking.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Simple yet profondly powerful, S&F for you OP. That parable will be carved into the headboard of my son`s bed in the morning.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Great story....simply great......
Saved to feed my grandchildren with...thanks

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
AHHHHHHH HA! Thank you. I remember reading this years ago but almost forgot about it.

Thank you!

Most of the greatest truths in life are often so simple!

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I love this. I have read it before. I would love to find a huge poster of it, or make one in one of my more creative moments, so that I could see it every day.

S and F

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing OP. I love reading things like this...it warms my spirit. I'm feeding the Good wolf.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Thanks, O2T. Heard this parable a lot growing up. Sure did need to hear it again.

Time

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

I saw that a few months ago, to me it adds more pieces to life's puzzle that the powers that be seem to keep from us. Now I look at the pentacle ( 5 pointed star) with clearer eyes. The spirit element ( neutral) is you that makes the decision, one wolf is water and earth ( negative polarity) the other wolf ( positive polarity) which can be very bad is air and fire. Stay in spirit and you stay balanced in the center of the star, spirit divides the two. the pentacle not only seems to represent earth, but us in similar nature as well. I am basing this on an electric universe, everything has negative, positive, and neutral position. And I'm only basing this on an image which flashed through my mind when I first read of this months ago - the daylight side of earth ( positive polarity and high frequency)air, and fire and the night side ( negative polarity and low frequency) water, and earth separated by the terminator, which is spirit. My question to you all is - any one learning from mother natures self similar nature? Facts?? I have not found much at all. Awesome post too, let us all keep thinking and putting it together. Blessed Be.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Very inspiring... This makes me think of the old times when I wasn't born :')

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Beautiful! I Love Indians! I will remember this when I take a really important test next week!

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Thanks. I'm viraling this through my friends right now.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
thank you so much for posting this cus i just fairly recently started to realize the struggle of good vs. evil or whatever you wanna call it that exists in each person and been tryin to think of ways to simplify for myself so i can be as good as possible but this really makes it simple and helps lol

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   

It's not just a matter of which one we feed. We are not islands. There is so much around us that affects us. It takes effort for control to be maintained, and there's only so much effort most of us put to keeping it. It'd be a lot easier to be all of those good qualities if we isolated ourselves from the world. I think that is actually what is becoming required for some of us actually.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Awesome logic to follow

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join