It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Southern Lights Filmed From New Zealand

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Aurora Australis or the southern lights are not quite as well documented and filmed as its northern counterpart. There are few towns or permanent populations that get to see the Southern lights, so there aren't quite as many photos and videos of it occurring.

Here is a recent video taken from Earth & Sky Observatory near Lake Tekapo in the South Island of New Zealand. It might not be as impressive as some of the northern lights videos, but it's still awesome time lapse footage and impressive nonetheless. Enjoy

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Awesome! I was checking during last weeks forecasts due to the intense nature at the time. The aurora band coming up from Antarctica was tantalizingly close to Australia (well... almost to Tassie). But sadly, I remained geographically challenged....

Its great to have been seen in NZ! Its actually at the top of my "Things I wish to do, if(I mean when) I win Powerball"

Its so close! Aurora Forecast Southern Hemi
edit on 17-3-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Here is some more footage of the southern lights from NZ. This one is from the same observatory as the OP. There seems to be a glitch at the start, but it fixes after a few seconds.

And this one is filmed over Lake Dunstan near Cromwell, NZ. It has a good view of the Milky Way rotating into view.

We can expect to see more of these beautiful sights as the solar cycle starts to peak. Unfortunately I'm too far North in NZ to see this sight, but these videos make me want to keep an eye out for solar activity and try to get down there to see this.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qumulys
Awesome! I was checking during last weeks forecasts due to the intense nature at the time. The aurora band coming up from Antarctica was tantalizingly close to Australia (well... almost to Tassie). But sadly, I remained geographically challenged....

I feel your pain

Here in Auckland we probably won't get to see Aurora Australis at all, and we certainly don't see the stars so clearly due to light pollution. It amazes me every time I go into the NZ wilderness away from any towns to see the stars so clearly. It makes you feel so small, yet so connected to the Universe at the same time. It truly is awe inspiring.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curious and Concerned

Originally posted by Qumulys

It makes you feel so small, yet so connected to the Universe at the same time. It truly is awe inspiring.

Well, coming from a Kiwi
. Just like NZ, so small, yet still apart of the global scale, and having a minor impact

edit on 17-3-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

A minor impact? Tell that to all the other rugby fans around the world!

For those who don't know, NZ won the rugby world cup last year. We also produced Brett and Jemaine from Flight of the Concords. Oh and Lord of the Rings movies!

So yeah, minor impact but an impact nonetheless.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

NZ still don't hold a candle compared to Australia when it comes to Muay Thai

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
There is going to be some activity tonight going by the link provided above.

You may be lucky enough to view via a webcam onboard Australia's cargo ship heading to Antarctica to pick up crew from the bases.
www.antarctica.gov.au...

It's current sitrep puts it in line with the predicted Aurora Australis happening.

join