It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook 'troll' Sean Duffy gets community service for offensive Sophie Taylor image

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
I find it odd that people, including a mod, are implying that this is infringing on their rights and comparing this to trolling on ATS. Nobody on ATS has done something this vile (well maybe, but the mods would have taken care of it). What this guy did is not much different than repeatedly calling up the family and mocking them. That would be a crime too. He harassed the family of dead teenagers. I am shocked that anyone would think that is ok.
edit on 17-3-2012 by InvisibleAlbatross because: (no reason given)

I don't think anybody is saying that it's ok, what he did was a jerk move and if it had been one of my family members he did it do, he would have gotten a beat down, but as much of a jackass thing it was for him to do, it shouldn't be illegal. Freedom of speech should include everything, good and bad.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
Hell no!!! He got off lightly.

Just because its an online sites means nothing if someone goes out of their own way, to basically insult and inflict emotional damage.

Would it have been the same if he rang the family and gave them verbal abuse? No it wouldn't, but then you only phoned that family, when you do it on facebook its just as bad for the family but ALL THEIR FRIENDS will also be affected.

This trolling business is public humiliation and cruelty and should always be taken very seriously.

Internet anonymity - with great power comes great responsibility.

So you're saying if you cause emotional damage then it should be punishable? What about Westboro Baptist Church, you would jail all of them? There is a line between freedom of speech and tyrannical laws. I think you're on the wrong side on this one.

Freedom of speech means you can say controversial things even if you're the only person who agrees in the world, and even though this wasn't in the US your perspective frightens me. I understand the moral inclination to "save" people but really you cant just go around forcing your "good morals" upon everyone under threat of prison and expect them to voluntarily comply. Let the sick people show themselves for who they truly are by being legally free to do so (in this case) and then you won't have a bunch of sick people blending in with the normal people, which is even more frightening.

Wanting to jail someone for posting an image is like wanting to jail someone for a morally reprehensible picket sign. The fact that so many people agree with you creeps me out.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
So how do I sue the media for all their stories that have been causing me emotional distress? Those images have warped my fragile little mind. Please help me.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
It's a sad day when trolling becomes illegal.
It's the interweb people grow a pair.

What's screwed up is he has Asperger's he can't control his actions all the time.

You're telling me we can blame violence on TV for making us do things but a legitimate mental disease isn't a defense?

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
While I think the troll's actions are reprehensible, I don't think it had any place in a criminal court, or deserved any jail time. That is taking the abuse of power to a new level. 18 months in jail and 300 hours of community service? Are you freekin' kidding me? First time drug "dealers" here will often get off with not much more than house arrest and less than 100 hours of community service.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by RyanFromCan

Personally, I hold drug dealers in higher esteem than internet trolls.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
well damn. guess i better tone down the trolling on some websites before i get into trouble with the law. how the hell can they even charge someone with trolling? someone should post the info of the prosecutor so we can troll him

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join