It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Frog Species Discovered in New York City

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
At the Yankee Stadium in the Bronx! A real life "frogger" maneuvering the urban and crowded streets of New York. Who would've thunk it!

Amazed biologists have uncovered a new species of frog in the jungle -- New York's concrete jungle.

The mottled green creature was for years mistaken as belonging to a widespread variety of the leopard frog. But now scientists realize this is new.

"For a new species to go unrecognized in this area is amazing," UCLA biologist Brad Shaffer said Wednesday.
Source: Yahoo News

It's a cool story, but I'm sure the real enthusiasm and appreciation for this discovery lies with the biologists and the chinese soup kitchen around the corner. Anyway, still an amusing tidbit in an otherwise uneventful day.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
That is deff a cool story, you get a star for that one.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Haha that is a cool story and weird....the only time i have seen frogs were in Puerto rico....also known as "coquis" and you can find them all throughout the island. well roaches...rats and pidgeons you have guests!

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
lots of leapard frogs in central park pond area.

Didnt know there was more than a couple species, either. basically a north and south subspecies of Rana?

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by AvireX

I've never even seen anything resemble a frog in real life, as far as I'm concerned it sounds made-up. A weird creature conjured up by someones imagination, popularly referenced to as kermit.

reply to post by gadaffy

Thank you.

reply to post by BiggerPicture

I get the impression you are familiar with amphibians, is it a hobby of yours or does your line of work touch on the subject? Do you think they've chosen an urban environment consciously? And just out of curiosity, do frogs migrate?

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Edit - Nevermind - Already Posted in another forum
edit on 16-3-2012 by FoxMulder91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Sounds made up that they are roaming in the bronx? could be...but i've seen weird stuff happen
like the time we had dolphins swimming up by NYC.

any bronx residents can confirm this frog thing would be nice.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Frogs are the coolest creatures. They're one of those animals (amphibians) that you can watch to see if there's something wrong with the local environment. I use to catch tadpoles and watch them metamorphisize into frogs and toads then let them go outside to help control the mosquitoes. They make cool sounds too.

Then you have ALL the different species of frogs/toads... and we're STILL discovering new frog species today!

Yes, even Nessie, Champ or other crypto creatures reported in or around oceans, lakes, and rivers could be a new species of amphibian that we just haven't discovered yet.

edit on 3/16/12 by Evildead because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

awesome, only familiar with the north and south species of Leopard and can hardly tell them apart.

must be a subspecies of the northern? good find, Dr Jeremy!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Scientists are funny, they find new species that's been in their face forever yet they fail to accept the possibility of life out there...

new topics

top topics

join