It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass Effect 3 Ending

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
There is a huge public outcry over the games ending. A lot of people feel it is filled with plot holes, that it doesn't make any sense, completely makes all the players choices through all 3 games irrelevant and so on. I have beaten Mass Effect 3, just once so far. Though I played it based on the default Mass Effect 3 story (microsoft caused me to loose all my files) I kind of have to agree with the gripes of the players completing the game. But not completely. What seems to make this matter worse is that Bioware is keeping completely quiet on the matter while gaming magazines and review sites are calling the fans, who spent their hard earned money and time on all 3 games including dlc, trolls, cry babies, spoiled children, and so on which seems to fueling the fire even more.

For those of you who have it and haven't beaten it yet, I won't spoil anything for you, but in my personal opinion the ending both fits, but is completely screwed up at the same time. The story is about Commander Shepard, so in light of that it does make sense with how it ends in tragedy and sadness . However, a lot of what people are complaining about is true. There are facebook pages and twitter accounts with tens of thousands of people complaining about the ending and want it changed. On biowares website, there is a poll where hundreds of thousands of gamers want a different ending or are incredibly disappointed in the ending.

The players complaining about the ending are willing to pay for a DLC to give the game a more "appropriate" ending, one that reflects all the players choices.

For those of you who have finished the game, what are you thoughts on the matter? Do you feel it needs to be changed? Are you ok with it? or do you have mixed feelings about it.?

(I did a search and found no threads regarding mass effect 3's ending. Just the game itself)
edit on 14-3-2012 by XelNaga because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up.

I find most endings to games very anticlimactic as they are. 100s of hours spent for some generic dialogue & pictures about what became of the hero and the land/space/people that really leaves one feeling duped into grinding out all those hours like a giant hamster on a wheel.

I think it's more about the journey than the ending anyway.

edit on 14-3-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

i agree. it is about the journey, but a journey with an appropriate ending makes everything that much better. obviously some people are going to simply whine because its not a happy ending. but a lot of the complaints are legitimate. whenever you get to the ending if you have the game, i think you'll understand also.

also the ending isn't anti climatic...just makes very very very little sense and leaves the player with "wtf is this?"

the ending is too open and full of plot wholes.

the game itself is fantastic. the ending is just...

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by XelNaga

I've beaten ME 1 and 2 and was considering doing the 3rd, but I don't need any added disappointment and frustration in my video gaming, which is why I retired from the Assassin's Creed saga. Those endings were the best in my opinion, leaving the player eager for the sequels, but the "journey" in Creed was aggravation on top of frustration. I endured all that for the endings, now I'll just watch the illuminati storyline play out on Youtube from someone who beat the games.

Skyrim's ending was pretty anticlimactic for the addiction level of the same I thought. They all can't be home runs I suppose.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I've been keeping up on it. The ending conflicts with the lore of ME and completely strips you of choice. Choice as in everything you did in the past 2 games is pointless. Join the fight. Hold the Line.

www.facebook.com...
edit on 14-3-2012 by Gasparus because: grammer

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
the game leaves you with 3 choices all of which are universally the same in one way or another.

as i said, mass effect 3 is a brilliant game. fantastic in every way. story telling, voice acting, action, environments. its all there. i, just like most of the players, feel cheated. so unless bioware plans on releasing a series of DLC's one of which gives a better ending, a lot of people are going to continue to get pissed off while bioware chuckles about it.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Had to see for myself. I am a little confused though...

Best ending:
www.youtube.com...

and I found this explaining it a little better...

Mass Effect 3 Ending and Why We Hate It

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by XelNaga

Oh what the hell how come the bad guys never get to win.

You know probably not going to finish this trilogy anytime soon as i am trying to cut back on video-games and do other stuff such as sleep more. But that is bull, I was hoping the reapers would win. But if they did not then at least that there should of been a big party at the end with everybody eating cake and playing pin the tail on the donkey. Were everybody is like yay we saved the galaxy and all life, lets have our cake and eat it to, here you go Shepherd here's a cookie for all your hard work.

But it seems it's more vague endings, so is Shepherd dead or alive? You know when they do this kind of stuff, it just leaves openings for sequels and prequels and all kinds of followups. And I thought this was supposed to be the last game of the series. Its not a concrete ending that's for sure, and the choices are kind of bunk, since there really not all that important to begin with I really dont see what people are complaining about in that department.

Really who cares what your choice was in some insignificant bad guy, good guy scenarios that they give you in the first and second games, when the whole galaxy is blowing up left and right, and the only choice you seem to have is you either win and maybe live in the aftermath and ruble, or you lose and everybody dies.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
i really wanted to get mass effect 3 but after replaying mass effect 2 i am totaly bored of anything mass effect.

im glad i didn't buy it on the day of it's release, maybe i'll buy it when the price drops just to complete the trilogy but after everything i've heared and read i probably won't bother.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by XelNaga

I think EA are going to release a new DLC for a few extra bits of cash to fix the ending.

Even Shepard thought it was garbage...

I think there might be some weight with the indoctrination theory ending explanation.
edit on 16-3-2012 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I'm thankful someone finally did a thread on this...

You know.. The entire controversy had a positive outcome though. The "Retake Mass Effect" movement raised over $50,000 for child's play (a charity that gives video games to sick kids.) in an attempt to raise positive awareness to the cause..

Either way, no matter what happens at least the whole thing managed to raise a lot of money for a good cause and that makes it a win regardless in my opinion...

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Sorry, I'm french...I will do my best...

I'm a Mass Effect fan. This game was good but the end was horrible...

I want to talk about all the masonic and illuminati reference I found in the series...

I will simply begin with the first novel of Drew Karpyshyn about Mass Effect. I didn't read it completly but when he talk about how the story start, it start when the People on earth have the proof that they're not alone in the universe, they panic so they want a world government.

All this made me think about an Illuminati card that I can show you with a vid if you all want. An invasion of UFO in the sky...(We all know that army have some of it for an unknow reason.)

In Mass Effect 3, i've found a lot of reference...

First:

You represent Chaos.We represent Order.

I found an asari who were talking about the light from the darkness or something like that in the Purgatory.
I've found something like that in a Mason book. This sentence have a meaning to them but, I'm not sure.

And the end is full of message...

The bad choice is the blue one.(You decided to take control of the reapers, like if you were a god...) The red choice is the good.(You decided to destroy the reapers... you're like a savior.The one who decided to believe in humanity whatever the reapers says about the facts that the humanity is doomed.*Make you think of someone?*)
Synthesis:the choice from the middle.(You create a new DNA...What!!!!!,this is like the ultimate Illuminati choice from the point of view of David Icke...)

After I try all these endings, I first think about the masons pillars...

Boaz| the middle eye, the sun,God...I don't know|Joachim...

I heard somewhere that the Left pillar is for the Maker and the right pillar for the redeemer...

Just some theories...

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
About the game's ending, I've been wondering about something...

When you see the last cinematic, of the old man and the kid, the old man agrees to tell of another Shepard story...

Then, you are transported back to the moment you enter TIM's solar system, before you attack him. My question is, is it a "snap out of it" moment?... I restarted the game and later, I thought I should have retried the game from that moment, knowing what would happen, maybe leading to something different?

What I expected for the ending was that, according to your past choices, you would get many endings, ranging from total annihilation of evolved species, Reapers win, to one where Shepard and his many friends have a last party, celebrating their total victory over the Reapers, breaking the cycle, with everyone having fun, and Shepard giving us all a last dance!

I also expected to learn that the Reapers were the First Artificial Beings built by the First of All Biological Races, getting into war with one another, with the Reapers winning and then deciding, over time, as new races evolved, built Artificial Beings, went to war with them, that THEY should become the ultimate police force of biological evolution, stopping it every 50 0000 years, so as to preserve themselves.

After a few billion years, their own evolution was way over there head.

And two enormous questions still linger in my head. The first is about where the Reapers were residing... Are there any left there? As they left, did they leave a Sovereign type member behind for safe guarding?
The second question is; What about OTHER galaxies? Were they also subjected to the Reapers?

With Shepard apparently being influenced by the Reapers, if ever so slightly at first, from the start of ME3, it would have been nice to "participate" in the elaboration of the finale assault on the Reapers battle plan, influencing to have your views taken into consideration, based on your character's experience.

Despite my not quite liking the ending, the Mass Effect series is THE game I've been expecting all my life. Even it's little bugs, and elevator never-ending rides do not lower my liking this game.

It's definitely flying very high above every other games I've played, and I began with that old game where you controlled a white bar to block and throw back a white square past the other white bar...

And it'll hold the line for a while...

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Honestly, the ME3 ending was lackluster. It was just terrible in respect to the rest of the series.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
There's an other vid here.

Let me know if someone understand what I'm trying to say about those reference...

Video

The opposite theory, an organic secret? Come on!
edit on 19-3-2012 by Max2484 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-3-2012 by Max2484 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join