It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspicious call

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Hello,

Am wrinting this post because I searched for something like this, but I didnt find anything. Hoping you guys can give some clues as to what is happening.

I live in house, and there is another house in the back. My back neighbor has a land line phone. I recenved a call on his phone asking for me. I answered the call and the person on the phone wanted to ask me about my family life. I told them I dont want to answer any questions and I hung up the phone. I forgot who she said she was with, and the phone number was blocked.

Mind you, all my numbers are with my cell phone. I am in no way related to my back neigbor, nor the family i rent the house from.

Am about to call my bank to place a alert on my account.
Any suggestions as to what is happening.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Possibly a debt collector looking for a relative of yours. There are several ways to
get an address and addresses / phone numbers of neighbors.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

I have no relatives living in the state I am in.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by morf991

Doesn't have to be in the same state.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Weird. Do you think they will call again?

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by morf991

Eh, maybe... depends on the individual and the company policy.
I could be way wrong though...

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by morf991

Try to be more specific...
What exactly was the question asked?

Weird. Do you think they will call again?

Who are "they"?
Maybe you have just answered your question
edit on 13-3-2012 by zilebeliveunknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by morf991
I live in house, and there is another house in the back. My back neighbor has a land line phone.

Check.

I recenved a call on his phone asking for me. I answered the call and the person on the phone wanted to ask me about my family life.

So your neighbor came and got you and said there was a call for you on his/her phone, so you went to his house and answered the call. Is that right?

I told them I dont want to answer any questions and I hung up the phone. I forgot who she said she was with, and the phone number was blocked.

So your neighbor had caller id and you saw the number was blocked? And you did not take note of who was calling?

That's too bad. Crucial information missing. If they were financial in nature, that would be a clue. If they were truly personal, that would be a little more frightening.

edit on 3/13/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I know, I should have made a note of whom was calling and from what company. But when i answered, I got very suspicious and I hung up the phone as fast as possible.

Well anyways, I locked all my financial accounts, and put out a possible theft alert to the credit agencies.

so if they were after my financial information they will not get very far.

But the only statment they (person calling) said was that she was going to ask a couple questions about my family. I said I will not answer any, and that "i dont even know why you got the number to a house I dont even live in"

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Dang it, this will stay i my mind for a while now.

Making me even more suspicious of everything.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Sounds like a skip tracer. Is your cell prepaid? Could explain why they couldnt get that number. I would be furious if someone called a neighbor on my phone and more than welling to contact the police/phone company to help the neighbor figure out who called. Perhaps try that. Start taking notes though I totally see that you couldnt really prepare the first time they called.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Whats a skip tracer?

Yea I have a prepaid cell, but its been in active service for over 2years without any breaks. Yea, i already told my neigbor to try to note the number if there is one. and i will most likely be prepared if they were to call back.

Called a family member, everyone is alright. So who knows, maybe it was a scam, i heared that there are scams over the phone about family members being held hostage or something like that

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
"Skip tracing tactics may be employed by debt collectors, bail bond enforcers (bounty hunting), private investigators, attorneys, police detectives and journalists, or by any person attempting to locate a subject whose contact information is not immediately known. Similar techniques have also been utilized by investigators to locate witnesses in criminal trials, resulting in the development of witness protection programs aimed at providing former witnesses with new identities and locations to avoid detection."

All my bills are up to date. I havent been involved with anything illegal. Havent been involved with any criminals.

Wait, am supposed to be end of service from the military here in 3 months. But i dobt the GOV needs to do that stuff to locate me since they can just ask a credit agency. Can they?
edit on 13-3-2012 by morf991 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by morf991
Wait, am supposed to be end of service from the military here in 3 months. But i dobt the GOV needs to do that stuff to locate me since they can just ask a credit agency. Can they?
edit on 13-3-2012 by morf991 because: (no reason given)

Sure, the gov can get your credit score and stuff. There is a way to "lock" your credit with all three major agencies. That way no one can open an account in your name. It's a bit of a pain and costs you $10 every time you want to unlock it, but it could save you from an identity theft issue. I'll subscribe to this thread. If you want to know more about this I'll look it up and post more extensively tomorrow.

Bit if a puzzle, really.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Use equifax membership. You can lock up the socialsecurity number so no one can submit for credit. I pay 20 bucks a month. a bit steep but it will save me the headachs later on. also has a 25k id theft insurance with membership.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
IMO it was someone working for a bail bondsman. They are really good at calling neighbors and friends to track someone down. And it doesn't have to be you, they are looking for, it could be anyone. But with the creep factor of calling a neighbor and giving a vague(easily forgotten) story, I vote bondsman.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by morf991

Let me get this right. You were physically at the neighbors who live behind you when a call comes in to their land line asking for you??? So... when the neighbor handed you the phone... did the caller repeat your name to make sure that they had the correct person???

I'm going to suggest a scheme involving your neighbor to get information out of you. The call probably came from someone in the house using a cellphone. Does your neighbor have a wife... or any lady friends who were present at the time??? Are you single or married??? Maybe somebody is interested in you romantically.
edit on 13-3-2012 by shushu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by shushu

Let me get this right. You were physically at the neighbors who live behind you when a call comes in to their land line asking for you??? So... when the neighbor handed you the phone... did the caller repeat your name to make sure that they had the correct person???

I'm going to suggest a scheme involving your neighbor to get information out of you. The call probably came from someone in the house using a cellphone. Does your neighbor have a wife... or any lady friends who were present at the time??? Are you single or married??? Maybe somebody is interested in you romantically.

Nope I was in my house, my back neigbor come to my house and handed me the phone. Yes they repeated my name. he has no wife nor any lady friends.

I doubt it was a secret admirer.......lol.......although it would be welcomed

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by morf991

Your neighbor walking his phone over to your house strikes me as strange. Why didn't he just tell the caller that they had the wrong number and hang up??? What line of work is your neighbor in???

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
maybe it's just an old lady whose really lonely and wanted someone to talk to?
perhaps a sales lady trying to "better your life" with her product?
maybe it's one of his relatives and they want to set you up with him.... (kidding
)

but that is rather odd... I'd do the same... maybe even file a report? perhaps see if you can get the authorities to track the number...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join