It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looting after bus crashes into Coventry pawnbrokers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Looting after bus crashes into Coventry pawnbrokers

www.bbc.co.uk

Looters rushed to grab jewellery after a bus crashed into a pawnbrokers in Coventry, according to eyewitnesses.

Three people were injured when the single-decker bus went into the shop in Trinity Street just before 15:00 GMT.

Bus passenger Zoe Frost said looting began immediately and she was pushed aside as people went for the valuables.

"They wanted to get the gold and jewellery out of the shop window and where it had fallen onto the ground," she said.

A West Midlands Police spokeswoman appealed for any witnesses to the crash and alleged looting to contact them.

Ms Frost said:
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
i just missed this incident within 10 mins
i was in the taxi and it came in over his radio
the taxis sit outside the pawn brokers(where i got mine)
and i got in one literally 10 mins b4 it happend

theres always some one there to take an oppertunity
no matter what
sorry for the injured i hope its no one i know
(though that makes no difference)
asian taxi driver told me
its a polish bus driver (no info on that yet)

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
well what do you expect from people who are sent to coventry?

wonder how many will return to the shop in the next week to try and get their jewellery changed for something that fits but don't have a receipt

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Good day up north then? At least now I know what to say when a smug northerner starts mocking the south about the riots. You didn't even need one for the looting to start!

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

id estimate about 20.000k in gold in the small shop window(used it in the past)
thats not to mention all the expensive stuff in the shop cabinet

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Justwork

lol
thats what i thought

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
What do you expect from a species that's evolving backwards?

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77

i would have said from a nation that's red lining with unemployment and crime. Soooo this will push a further bill to allow an extra 5000 cameras to be put up and guess who's footing the bill....Yup the tax payer.

Its rather simple, if people earn enough to sustain and feel proud about their social standard then these random but always abundant events would be minimized if not erased .
edit on 13-3-2012 by cerebralassassins because: erased

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Thieving scumbags...
Mind you,society seems to be slowly breaking apart at the seams so I am not that surprised sadly.

Did anyone rush to see if anyone on the bus or in the shop needed first aid?
That should be our first instinct when an accident occurs in my book.
Not mindless pilfering.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I think this would happen in most parts of the world.

Not too many people can resist the sight of gold on the street in the middle of a broken window.

But, this is still a stupid thing to do. I bet those people felt like pigs inside when they were scooping up all the jewelry.

Maybe people think its somehow OK to take advantage of a broken window if they didn't break the window themselves.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins

Originally posted by RSF77

i would have said from a nation that's red lining with unemployment and crime. Soooo this will push a further bill to allow an extra 5000 cameras to be put up and guess who's footing the bill....Yup the tax payer.

Its rather simple, if people earn enough to sustain and feel proud about their social standard then these random but always abundant events would be minimized if not erased.

And there it is, in a nutshell from Bob.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Me and my Dad just burst out laughing when we heard about the looting, welcome to our lovely city, stop by anytime

On a super serial note im glad no one was seriously injured and have a quick recovery!

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
As an American this sort of thing amazes me.

I leave my house unlocked and my keys in my car during the day, never had anything stolen.

But people I know in England are victims of petty street crime fairly often.

Are British people just prone to stealing?

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Its hard not to become a opportunist, in the thieving aspect, when struggling to survive.

More than half the country is on minimum wage, thats a big percentage of people which need an opportunity, and people get desperate, very desperate.

I'm not condoning what they have done, but I would of thought about doing it my self, but I have allot to loose now - Many people dont.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by n00bUK
Its hard not to become a opportunist, in the thieving aspect, when struggling to survive.

More than half the country is on minimum wage, thats a big percentage of people which need an opportunity, and people get desperate, very desperate.

I'm not condoning what they have done, but I would of thought about doing it my self, but I have allot to loose now - Many people dont.

I just think it's funny that American's are considered rude and untrustworthy by most Europeans, when most of us have never stolen as much as a piece of candy.

And I'll never understand the rudeness deal, especially after spending time in Europe, and time in Mexico with a bunch of Italians. They will but into line, cram into an already overcrowded elevator, take the last 10 pieces of bacon on the buffett, etc....

I think America gets a bad rap we don't deserve.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic
As an American this sort of thing amazes me.

I leave my house unlocked and my keys in my car during the day, never had anything stolen.

But people I know in England are victims of petty street crime fairly often.

Are British people just prone to stealing?

Ha, we wouldn't dream of leaving our keys in the car, at least not in my area. # if you leave your door unlocked at night expect a person to be stealing the jewelry off your body while you sleep, warming their hands in the your bed so the cold touch doesn't wake you up.

People think that in the UK we all sit and chat with a good cupa tea, sat on a settee and speak like the Queen. How we're perceived over seas is a joke, so far from the truth. To foreigners, our culture & social struggles are none existent.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

How about violent crime?

I knew about the street level crime, that's even in the guidebooks.

England is one of the only European countries I haven't spent much time in. Aside from 5 days on a canal boat and a few airport stopovers.

Are there shootings nightly in some areas as Top Gear would have us believe?

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

I have never really considered Americans particularly rude, the ones I have met were very friendly. Arrogant but very friendly.

You can not leave a door open or window, even lawn ornaments (not that I have such things these days) are not safe.

We don't generally even report theft these days either, no point unless you need a crime number but that isn't usually worth the insurance excess.

We are all struggling were I live, nothing worth stealing round here. (cept my laptop which I hide from the neighbours/visitors).

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Lots of kids get mugged and roughed up for their mobile phones around here. Forgot about that. Lots of domestic violence due to drink/drugs/facebook.

Yes quite a lot of violence. No gun crime in my area, some in Manchester proper, down south too, Not really a huge problem.
edit on 13-3-2012 by Threegirls because: Add last comment

Most people don't have jewellery any more because people were coming from door to door to buy it. That is were most of this Jewellery will go probably.

We have sections of society in Britain like anywhere else. One street is like 'Shameless, Skins, Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps' (council estates, not all full of unemployed as most have been bought) and the next street is tasteful, refined nice cars, big houses (gated communities). Just down the brew might be like 'Emmerdale'.
edit on 13-3-2012 by Threegirls because: to add emphasis

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Threegirls

Lots of kids get mugged and roughed up for their mobile phones around here. Forgot about that. Lots of domestic violence due to drink/drugs/facebook.

Yes quite a lot of violence.

I don't think the average American knows this.

The Liberal media portrays Europe as being such a peaceful safe place, and that we should aspire to be more like them.

The gun ban is starting to make more sense. It's backward thinking, but at least I understand the motivation. The reason you'll never see looting like you guys had over here is because damn near everybody is armed. The looters knew they wouldn't be shot in England, not so here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join