It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mustard leak at Blue Grass Army Depot poses no threat, officials say

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Mustard leak at Blue Grass Army Depot poses no threat, officials say

www.kentucky.com...

Low levels of mustard agent vapor were detected in an igloo Monday morning at Blue Grass Army Depot in Madison County, officials said.

At this time, the leak poses no danger or risk to the residents of Madison or surrounding counties, a news release from Blue Grass Chemical Activity said.

The vapor was detected inside an igloo containing 155mm projectiles. The vapor was discovered during routine monitoring.

Toxic-chemical workers have connected a 1,000-cubic-feet-per-minute filter to the rear vent of the igloo. Ambient outside air is drawn in the front vent, through the length of the igloo, and out the rear vent into filters that capture all agent particles. This prevents any agent from escaping into the atmosphere.

Madison County Emergency Management and the state Kentucky Division of Emergency Management were notified about the vapor leak Read more here: www.kentucky.com...=cpy

edit on 12-3-2012 by omegacorps because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/13/2012 by semperfortis because: Copy the EXACT Headline

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
this is just breaking new as far as i can tell. wow i hope all is well down wind. it might be the least leather of that era but still nothing to mess with.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
fixed

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by omegacorps

omegacorps,
Thanks for posting! But eeekk that doesn't sound good! Mustard gas is probably the last thing I would want to be, or want fellow citizens to be exposed to. What type or necessary precaution do you take to fix this kind of chemical leak???

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Once the leak or leaks are identified, the 155-millimeter projectiles that are affected will be stored in packed containers to limit the risk of future leakage

I find it laughable that there would be a situation were additional leaks would incur

Earlier this month, the depot announced it had detected a second vapor leak in less than a year of sarin, a far deadlier weapon housed in the storage igloos. While the sarin leaks were contained, including a more serious one last August, the Army is planning to use a mobile destruction unit to dispose of the sarin canisters by year's end

Even worst is that if leaks are happening this quickly, it means they were improperly stored. Considering it housed Sarin Gas (Stuff from the movie "The Rock"), if not properly stored can unleash a world of hurt on a any population size depending on wind conditions. Hopefully they dispose of this stuff sooner than later

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

WTF?? They still make this crap? Mustard gas? Really? It should be outlawed and disposed of, not stockpiled.

My Dad was in the British army and they used it back then (60's/70's) to illustrate the pain. They would ask for a volunteer and then place one tiny little drop of the stuff on the wrist or arm of the volunteer. The pain he said was excruciating, even from such a tiny exposure.
I worry about the military...

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I knew where this was before I opened the
thread. I use to go to the base to go
swimming and would just cringe when
I would look over at the bunkers knowing
that chemicals were stored there and
some most likely leaking. Its just a matter
of time before a major disaster happens
here. My entire family lives in this area
and I will be checking back for updates.
Thanks for letting us know OP>

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Yeah I doubt that. Perhaps I don't know enough about the stuff but I call BS. Tear gas or something I can see, but mustard gas? Bull.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

WTF?? They still make this crap? Mustard gas? Really? It should be outlawed and disposed of, not stockpiled.

The problem of disposal was never taken care of - some of this
stuff if not most is from WWII.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Not sure they still make it for military purposes - but here's large stockpile of it - see here for a map & info from about 1999 of US chemical artillery projectiles.

also Wiki page on Bluegrass storage facility - note that it has about 2% of the total, and is planned to have a disposal plant in accordance with the Chemical Weapons Treaty - but it won't start operating until 2018.

there were leaks of Sarin there in 2007 and 2008, and of Mustard in 2008 noted on the wiki page.
edit on 12-3-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Well currently the link is showing an article from 2008 - little mistake?

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Okay here we go....

To begin I would like to say thank you and S+F 2 U!

Earlier I was told there were usually articles or some other sort of info. attached to a thread. I acted like I didn't know. I knew that there were articles. Most of the time I just don't want to read all that crap.

I read this crap....well most of it.

It is pretty old.

Published July 29, 2008

So before I comment further does it matter that this is four years old?

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
www.globalsecurity.org...reply to post by Domo1

Yes Mustard gas

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by stewiegriffin

fixed it. i had the prior one open to.

wrong copy and paste.

I will amputate my on left hand in accordance to ATS terms of use

; P

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
The published date shows " Published July 29, 2008 " by the Associated Press on the article link you posted,

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
They are currently investigating two recent leakages of explosive compounds from their wash-out plant at the depot. For now, operations there have been suspended.

That, along with some mustard gas vapors.
edit on 12-3-2012 by kyred because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Why is the US stockpiling WMDs? NATO should invade and remove...

oh wait..

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Thank you for posting this! I just drove right past the depot on my way back from Richmond about an hour ago! I had no idea there was a leak. Didn't seem to be anything unusual going on over there, but if it's nothing serious, I guess that's why. So glad you posted though! Will be looking for updates!!!

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Just relaying what my (dead) father told me, but thanks for calling him a liar.
I guess maybe you don't know what you are talking about too though.

Older tests...
That's just the stuff they admit to doing...
Tear gas will not have a grown man writhing around in agony on skin contact. That much I do know.
ETA Mustard gas is WW1 tech.
edit on 12/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by stewiegriffin

lol it had like 6 flags and 4 stars before you said something.

and that was after me saying wait a second in the 3 post.

we should have kept quiet

like they teach us at the CIA ; )

<<   2 >>

join