It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am stunned by how ridiculous American Television has become...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
First off let me start by saying I truly miss being able to watch cartoons when I want. I know, I know what the heck is a grown woman doing crying about cartoons? Well...because I like cartoons which is about all I watch and I never have time to watch them anymore

However, what's wrong with this show and other Reality Shows or is it just me who's missing a creative gene or two?

Dance Moms

I'm sorry but this is one of the most ridiculous shows on American T.V. IMO, because it involves little girls and their Mothers! I was scrolling through the DirecTv guide and was looking for something to watch (since I couldn't find Tom & Jerry or Bugs Bunny...etc), and I saw a show called Unsolved Mysteries on the Life Time channel. So, I decided to watch it.

When a commercial came on, they started advertising for this silly show where Moms have their daughters in some kind of dance class/competition or something like that. Besides the fact that I believe a Mom should be offering her daughter more than being screamed at by some lunatic that owns a dance studio on National T.V., I really don't see the entertainment value personally. BTW, I only saw the clip that is listed on the Life Time website. I have not viewed the show and will most certainly NOT be watching that crap either..the advertisement was enough for me to be turned off! Also, I think being involved in the Arts whether it be dance, painting, music etc.,as a youth is very important, but this *MESS* takes it to a whole other level.

But, that's just me and my opinion. Are there really people out there that are over the age of say 25 that enjoy all these wired reality shows
I'm having a difficult time coming to terms with the fact there are those many people out there who watch these types of shows and that something as crazy IMO, as this show actually peaks anybody's interest. I just don't get it

Oh, by the way, before you all start kicking me in the head....please remember that this is in the Rant section....and I'm ranting not pointing fingers, judging or anything else.
I think I'm in shock

Maybe some of you can help me understand this reality TV phenomenon...cause I ain't gettin' it or maybe I need to get out more.

I'll tell ya one thing though, I'm seriously considering ridding my house of all TV's...cause it's all crap anyway, except for the old cartoons.

Dance Moms
edit on 3/12/12 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Not much better in Australia. I only watch free tv which improved greatly over the past few years as they released more channels. There are around 20 available now (i think). There was a single channel dedicated to showing sport 24 hours a day and people lobbied against it due to the fact that a sports oriented channel doesn't leave time for other programs when there are at least 15 other stations to tune into. Haven't watched tv since then and this was a few months ago.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Thing is though, alot of Americans only ever see the US!!

This means obviously they dont get to see how bad and how propaganda filled it really is, it's just one big advert and mind control program/news etc after another.

Really is shocking.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I agree. I like to watch "Ice Road Truckers" and "Deadliest Catch" reality shows, but I skip all the rest. I watch occasional shows on PBS. I do enjoy "Game of Thrones" too. Television has become mindless drivel. Boring really.

Mostly I am on here these days, enough drama here, depending on the thread, lol

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Don't experience your boring old life that never changes. Watch these people live theirs! Watch them amass fame and fortune every week! Their happiness is YOUR happiness.

Really thats all I see out of reality TV. Its sad.

Jersey Shore...enough said? Watching full grown adults with the emotional capacity of a rock get wasted night after night and making bad decisions is entertainment I guess.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by cconn487

How could i forget jersey shore.... I did watch an alligator hunting show it was good laughs trying to understand them talk though without reading the subtitles. God bless hillbillies.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I enjoy Destination Truth and the occasional Nat Geo. But I get those online. I don't think I've watched a tv show on our tv in years.

Much prefer a good book....

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigBruddah
reply to post by cconn487

How could i forget jersey shore.... I did watch an alligator hunting show it was good laughs trying to understand them talk though without reading the subtitles. God bless hillbillies.

I started watching that alligator show one evening too... until they shot that poor alligator in the head
So I turned to watch Wiley Coyote attempt to drop an ACME anvil on the Roadrunner ......again

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I just turned 62. I remember "Tobar The Robot" , grew up with Jackie Gleason, and Lucy.
There was no sex, no profanity, and no deceit. Our children were not exposed to any of the previous from TV.
I used to think I was just getting old. Well, maybe, but not so old I cannot tell what is just, good, and right.
I have cable TV. I almost never watch it. The TV is for movies of our choosing. Not HBO or something someone else chooses for me to watch. I have cable for the Internet connection...
Reality TV is not real and there is no reality to it. It is deviant TV. It is fake. It is there for only one reason. To make money and turn our young into couch potato zombies.
I have a term for all of this garbage spewing into the homes of people around the world.
"Normalizing deviancy" Over time...taking that which is not good, just and right, and making it appear to
be....just, good and right. Our children learn it is OK to murder, rape and kill as a result of TV...after all...we have seen it a thousand times on TV so it must be good.
Reality TV is the worst of all because it gives the impression of a good thing, with no murder, rape etc. People are looking for reality by escaping into a world of deceit. This is not the way the world is. The world is real. The TV? Well let's just say if you were to throw it out tonight, after a week or so. You would not have missed a moment of reality. You miss the reality while you view Reality programing. Or any programming; Especially the MSM.
Reality TV

Nothing on TV is real. Not even the news....no especially the news.
This is one of my pet peeves so I thought I would add a little to your rant. Sorry; I have had a very bad day
DH

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

probably will see ya next wknd

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Reality TV is a scam. A smart one in that. I have always despised the idea of it ever since the first episode of "big brother" in the UK. It's a mockery and is ridiculous.

Think about what needs to be done, pay a camera crew to record some married couple arguing in their home and you've got a whole series, rofl. As opposed to having to pay script writers, studio renting, makeup, costumes, scenery etc etc.

They try to sucker people into watching it because it's cheap to make, and very profitable in a sense that people become addicted and hooked on the garbage. It's one of those things, you lose touch with your own reality and you want to see what happens to "person A" in the next episode and so on. People come back begging for more because they simply lose touch with everyone around them and become obsessed with a bunch of people they have never met or spoken to in their lives. It becomes part of their routine, to check up on "family A" or "couple B" on a regular basis to see what they have been upto.

This is "the reality". It also makes people dumb because in all cases of reality TV, the idiots make the money for the series, if you were to spend your daily TV session on a regular basis watching dumb people argue... you'll effectively become like them.

Anyway, this is why i rarely watch television (adverts is another problem), but reality TV is everywhere these days, it is moronic, if anything i will check the TV listings once a month and record anything i know i will want to watch as i cringe when i hear about any reality TV program.

I'm in the UK by the way. It's not just american TV, we have the same garbage being played again and again here also.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I haven't watched TV in ten years or so and do not miss any of it. I knew it had gone sideways when reality TV hit the stage. I determined that I was worth more intellectually than the box had me pegged for. Last time I watched I remember some schmuck with a megaphone yelling at some fool insisting that he had to eat the whole bowl of worms and maggots or he'd be disqualified from the next round of running through six hundred yards of dog poo while beating off six toothless alligators with a pool noodle! During the break they ran commercials of singing chocolates and cereals. The whole thing was clearly aimed at 12 year old child mentality! Can't imagine it has gotten any better

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Sounds like this is the film for you then. It's a period piece.!

God bless america

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

edit on 12-3-2012 by dude69 because: Im dumb

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Hello My Friend,,,ThePublicEnemyNo1
Growing up in China, we did not have T.V. until 1986 and that was only because, one of the Engineers in,our Apartment Built A Small, Very Small T.V. from parts he had taken from his work place.
It was Sooooooooo Exciting,,,,, Yes, Can you imagine,,,, Saturday Evening, All of the Families in the Common Kitchen trying to look over and in between each other to see the little black and white 15 inch screen and watch a Government program about the proper procedure of planting corn

Oh,,, we had our look out at the bottom of the stairs watching for the Morality Police, It was illegal to have anything but a Government issued Radio.
The programs we watched were for the Local Government Leadership to watch in their offices on the Government Issued T.V.'s.
Sorry I was Ranting and Remembering,,,In 1986 I was,,, Lets say I was Out Of The University,,,,

My husband say's the Last best Program he watched and Liked Was The Real McCoy's and Have Gun Will Travel

We Don't Watch T.V.,,,, Could You Guess

edit on 12-3-2012 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Hey! I love Dance Moms.

Abby Lee is serious about producing workable/employable dancers. She's been teaching for 30 years.

Normally - the mom's drop their daughters off - - and leave.

The show is designed to be about the mom's - - as much as it is about their daughters.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

But Hey! Don't let me interfere with your cartoons.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Reality TV was started by a big writer's strike in Hollywood. They said, hey, we've got no scripts, let's just put some morons in a room and film them talking to each other. Then, hey, presto! The morons liked it! They realized, we don't need to pay writers, we don't need to pay actors, the idiots will actually BEG to be allowed on these shows, and we keep ALL the money!.

ANd now look what you've got. Glad I don't get much American TV down here. Mexican TV is way worse, I know it's hard to imagine how it could be worse, but it is, much worse, and even stupider if you can believe that, so I just don't watch TV at all.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
There is a solution, guys. I haven't regularly watched television since probably 2002; and what little I have seen sporadically since then, tells me I'm not missing anything.

Use the Internet. On here, I can choose the stuff I watch. Other people can experience their brains liquifying inside their heads thanks to lolcats; I watch channelled material, diy cooking and electronics project videos, and stuff from the truth movement. Of course, occasionally even I feel the need to gaze intently into the cleavage of a large breasted teenage girl, but YouTube and various other sites also offer me that opportunity. So it's all good.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I mostly stick with HGTV and news. I too am older (53) and remember shows that were probably silly but still cool like Gilligan's Island, Bewitched, The Monkees, Lost in Space, Star Trek and many others. I haven't really watched network TV since Lost ended. My boyfriend likes the reality crap, I find it mind-numbing, myself.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybee
I mostly stick with HGTV and news.

I like HGTV too. There's very few Sitcoms that don't insult my intelligence. I do like a series that is intelligently written. I can't think of any right now that's held me past the first season.

Some reality shows are interesting. I thought I would hate Wife Swap. I think it was in its third season before I saw an episode. But I actually find it quite fascinating - - in having opposites take over.

I watched the Super Nanny because I am currently "Granny Nanny".

Its definitely Pick and Choose.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join