It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Prison System Is Becoming Big Business in America - The American Gulags

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+64 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Got this in a e-mail today from ACLU.

Stop your governor from accepting a proposal from a private company that would mandate state prisons operate at 90% capacity for the next 20 years.

(Do not forward: This link will open a page with your information already filled in.)
Right now, there's a proposal sitting on your governor's desk from a company called the Corrections Corporation of America. They're offering to buy and run prisons in your state and all across the nation — but only if states agree to keep the prisons at least 90% full.

America's level of incarceration is dangerously high already. Creating an incentive for incarceration wouldn't just make the mass incarceration problem worse, it would turn the priorities of the corrections system upside down. And it would set a dangerous new goal for the corrections system: Pack prisons to maximize corporate profits.

We must stop this proposal dead in its tracks. Send a message to your governor: reject this offer.

The New World Order is now being set in place.

No on the fence you either learn from the past history or are doomed to repeat it.

"They" want to imprison most of us so that private corporations don't have to off shore.

Read my location.

Our government no longer serves The People - our government is run by and for The large corporations.

There are approximately 2 million inmates in state, federal and private prisons throughout the country. According to California Prison Focus, "no other society in human history has imprisoned so many of its own citizens." The figures show that the United States has locked up more people than any other country: a half million more than China, which has a population five times greater than the U.S. Statistics reveal that the United States holds 25% of the world’s prison population, but only 5% of the world’s people. From less than 300,000 inmates in 1972, the jail population grew to 2 million by the year 2000. In 1990 it was one million. Ten years ago there were only five private prisons in the country, with a population of 2,000 inmates; now, there are 100, with 62,000 inmates. It is expected that by the coming decade, the number will hit 360,000, according to reports.
What has happened over the last 10 years? Why are there so many prisoners?

"The private contracting of prisoners for work fosters incentives to lock people up. Prisons depend on this income. Corporate stockholders who make money off prisoners’ work lobby for longer sentences, in order to expand their workforce. The system feeds itself," says a study by the Progressive Labor Party, which accuses the prison industry of being "an imitation of Nazi Germany with respect to forced slave labor and concentration camps."

The prison industry complex is one of the fastest-growing industries in the United States and its investors are on Wall Street. "This multimillion-dollar industry has its own trade exhibitions, conventions, websites, and mail-order/Internet catalogs. It also has direct advertising campaigns, architecture companies, construction companies, investment houses on Wall Street, plumbing supply companies, food supply companies, armed security, and padded cells in a large variety of colors."

According to the Left Business Observer, the federal prison industry produces 100% of all military helmets, ammunition belts, bullet-proof vests, ID tags, shirts, pants, tents, bags, and canteens. Along with war supplies, prison workers supply 98% of the entire market for equipment assembly services; 93% of paints and paintbrushes; 92% of stove assembly; 46% of body armor; 36% of home appliances; 30% of headphones/microphones/speakers; and 21% of office furniture. Airplane parts, medical supplies, and much more: prisoners are even raising seeing-eye dogs for blind people.

CRIME GOES DOWN, JAIL POPULATION GOES UP

Source & rest of article: www.patrickcrusade.org...

You folks out there better start to care because TPTB have some nasty $hit lined up for the majority of us. Do the research, Google Prisons are big business.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The importance of this subject should not go unnoticed.
Yes, the moment prisons become a commercially profitable venture verses a burden to society is the moment corporations find it profitable to literally imprison populations...expect totalitarianism a half-step afterwards.

If this doesn't get front page, I have no faith in the ATS community.

+16 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

My guess is who has the biggest "chest" Lady Gaga or Madonna will win over this one because the average person, even those now on ATS for the most part don't see that old train coming...............and it's labeled "Slaughterhouse".

They are putting people in prison for cheap labor that are selling small amounts of that green plant / drug we cannot name (When our government is linked to some of the drug trade itself)

Steal a loaf of bread or sell a couple ounces of that green plant we cannot name and you may find yourself in jail.

Steal someone's pension or house and you may find yourself rich and promoted to head CEO or Bank Manager.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
How many people know people that commit a crime, but maybe just turn a blind or don't want to know anything about it. I have never met a family in my life that didn't have a brother, or relative that was "into trouble" even if they did not go to jail over it.

A widespread campaign to populate jails is certain to affect every family in the country one way or the other. And it is a systematic way to legalize forced labor whether or not it takes time to come to be.

There are only a few real laws, don't hurt another person, don't steal from them. The rest are made up garbage. Garbage that is going to create a massive industry.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Legalized criminality. If serious enforcement was done on wall street or in congress I highly doubt anyone would object to a population increase in the prison population.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Those stats about your prisons are terrible!!!

The same is happening in the uk, Touch the weed and go to prison. Steal an old ladys house and expect promotion.

S&F

FLAG THIS THREAD.
edit on 8-3-2012 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Sadly in America it comes down to how much justice can you AFFORD. The poor get public defenders and well, you get what you pay for. They figure it keeps the poor off the streets and keeps them from rallying together in the parks. As a bonus once you convict them they loose the right to vote and thus loose the ability to change things. Just like cows in the corals at the slaughter house all rounded up and numbered for easy processing. I have heard that one in three American youths have been in the system by the age of 23. Wow American kids must be the most dangerous children in the world.

I lost my only child to the system with no hope of freeing him. Maybe next time around he will choose parents with more money.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Might as well just put up a fence around the US and call it done. It's going that way anyways.

My suggestion to all free people in the US...Get out now. Run far and run fast because when the gates close it'll be too late.

Peace

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

This practice has been gaining momentum for a long time. Most county and municipal jails have been using private contractors to manage the population for a few years. It's cheaper that way. Personally I think it has become a necessary evil as more and more states are loosing their tax base that helped support jails and prisons.

D.A's along with the various, federal agencies are all about being tough on crime, blindly so, while boosting their own careers and turning us all into criminals. Thanks to all the new and improved laws now on the books, we'll be seeing farmers, anti-immunizing parents and kids with a bad attitude added to the growing number of prison inmates.

It seems that we are attacking the wrong end of this problem.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
If this goes ahead, then the U.S. of A. justifiably earns a 'Most Treacherous Government On The Planet' award
It's only interest in American citizens is to take their money and take their liberties.

The thing is, how do you go about booting out a powerful and corrupt government? No point trying to vote them out because a corrupt government will make sure you don't.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Thank you for shining some light on the subject..When TSHTF..Who do you want on your team? Im a leave it at that..Powers that be BEWARE!! We are pissed off. You think that money will protect you?? HA I'm coming for yall, and I have an army with me....

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
The whole justice system is a joke, and for profit. They speak their own convoluted languages, so as to force you to hire a liar. The judges are all ex liars, sitting on the bench after proving themselves really good liars. The judges keep the sham going for future liars.

There should be few laws, in language even a fifth grader understands, get rid of all the ritual crap, and secret languages. A person should not have to pay 4 grand to a liar to fight a bogus speeding ticket....

Ever had to defend yourself against bogus charges in criminal court? The money liars make for defending you should be a crime!
edit on Thu, 08 Mar 2012 19:29:31 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
While I agreee with what you are saying and it is true, I was looking around for some info to see about this.

According to the Left Business Observer, the federal prison industry produces 100% of all military helmets, ammunition belts, bullet-proof vests, ID tags, shirts, pants, tents, bags, and canteens. Along with war supplies, prison workers supply 98% of the entire market for equipment assembly services;

I cannot seem to find any info backing these numbers up.

flag from junkie.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
The whole justice system is a joke, and for profit. They speak their own convoluted languages, so as to force you to hire a liar. The judges are all ex liars, sitting on the bench after proving themselves really good liars. The judges keep the sham going for future liars.

There should be few laws, in language even a fifth grader understands, get rid of all the ritual crap, and secret languages. A person should not have to pay 4 grand to a liar to fight a bogus speeding ticket....

Ever had to defend yourself against bogus charges in criminal court? The money liars make for defending you should be a crime!
edit on Thu, 08 Mar 2012 19:29:31 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

... and they will only lie for you if ya got plenty 'o' money ... or you can go and rot whether you're innocent or not.

They won't utter a syllable in your defence unless you cough up thousands. Shallow bastards.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I saw this coming for a long time and I don't see it going away, only getting worse. It's your own oppressive laws and "get tough" policies that are feeding this monster. What you don't realize is that the myriad of laws and rules and regulations are what is creating the violence and unrest in your towns and cities, then you answer this by creating more laws, tougher enforcement, and more oppression. You've done it to yourselves and vote for more of the same.

I am too old to continue fighting for liberty and freedom from this oppression as I have attempted to do with reason and logic all throughout my youth and middle years but you've developed your "sound reason" about why you need tougher laws to an art form and I hope you enjoy the portrait you've painted. A few years ago I gave up trying to fight this from ground zero and have left the US. Many might wish to tell me "good riddance" and I assure you the feeling is quite mutual. I enjoy the liberties I have now. I still have my loyalties to my country of birth (the US) but our ideologies have grown so far apart we just can't live together anymore. I am sure many of you consider it a paradise. Please, continue to enjoy it without me. I do hope America can become again the Land of the Free. I am counting on the Home of the Brave to stand up against the oppression and learn the key is to appreciate your differences instead of demanding compliance and conformity.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

I know exactly how you feel. I headed north, and I find myself trying to help fight off similar things up here in canada now. I just want to be able to live my life my own way, and in peace. Is that really too much to ask?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Bump.
SnF

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Funny isn't it? Emotionally charged video about africa goes viral, feeding frenzy. Something like this is going on at home, everyone turns a blind eye. Y'all want the world to be a happy place, we all need to start banding together as people and communities and put our collective foot down! Start at home, if everyone did something to make the community they live in a better place, voila, better world. Easier to ignore I guess

edit on Thu, 08 Mar 2012 21:32:34 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Strongly agreed, I've been watching the growing Issue since the turn of the Millennium. Another area that is in a downward spiral.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Cross reference:

Private prisons wants government to maintain a 90% occupancy rate.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
by skuly
started on 3/8/2012 @ 10:25 PM

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join