It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Attitude' gets 6th grader handcuffed

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

'Attitude' gets 6th grader handcuffed

usnews.msnbc.msn.com

A Colorado sixth-grader was handcuffed and taken to a juvenile holding facility for disobeying an assistant principal and being "argumentative and extremely rude," according to an incident report.
In the incident report, the unidentified administrator said she was on hall patrol on Feb. 22 when she came across Quezada and started questioning her. She said she was in mid-sentence when the 11-year-old "turned and walked away saying, 'I don't have time for this.'"...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.denverpost.com

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
What! Now we arrest children for being rude! What is wrong with our teachers in America that they have to resort to the criminal justice system when a student misbehaves? Talk Back to the Teacher? Handcuffs for you little girl!!
Don't put my little girl in handcuffs at school!! If this happened to my daughter I would get revenge. Its like conditioning for a police state where everyone is guilty until proven innocent. Conditioning to be a slave.

usnews.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Yaaaaasy! Get the kids used to the police state tactics at an early age.

Seriously, I have seen so many similar incidents reported from US schools, it's really quite shocking!

Edit to add... after sitting reading the comments on that page, I am even more shocked that so many of them seem to be advocating the arrest / detention of a child simply for making some smart arsed comment. When did things get so bad that the schools have to call in police to deal with kids having a smart mouth and have then carted away to a "juvenile" facility?
I know some kids an be a pain in the arse at that age but really... cops, handcuffs and holding facilities?

edit on 8-3-2012 by Britguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Seems the liberal policies of no discipline are working well. Sounds like the kid needs the old paddle.
It also seems the parents failed to raise a decent child who doesn't respect anyone. Maybe this kid will learna lesson being handcuffed for her stupid outbursts and learn some respect.

OP-revenge?.. I get called on my daughter acting like that, I'm punishing her also.
edit on 3/8/2012 by mugger because: (no reason given)

+17 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
"I don't have time for this."

How many times has an adult used that very line on a child?

It's a two-way street folks. Sometimes an individual regardless of age or status really doesnt have the time or patience to tolerate another individuals bull.

Plenty of time in public school I was in that very position. Sitting and amusing one power-tripping adult would have landed me on the # list of several other power tripping adults for being late. And would those other adults have bought the "I was held up by so-and-so"? Of course not. Because that would step on their power tripping.

Few things are as frustrating to deal with than ego-maniacs with no case. Parents, teachers, middle-management douchebags, cops, feds, whoever. Stop wasting time with questions and small talk. If you have a case bash my head in and lock me up. If not I have plenty of other things to do other than waste time bantering back and forth with almighty you.

Attitude problem.

This 6th grader got a good lesson. The monkeys in the zoo have all the power and will fling their poo if you dont give them the attention they crave.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Sounds like the teacher was ill equipped with the training necessary to handle difficult children.

Handcuffing while transporting a child is NOT standard procedure, handcuffing while transporting is for SUSPECTED CRIMINALS or CRIMINALS.

Totally over the top and ridiculous behavior from the cops and the school.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I have to agree with Mugger.

No one is allowed to punish their kids, and look what has happend. I have had my step daughter call child protective services on me several times for punishing her. With that kind of power CHILDREN can get away with anything. It is just dead wrong. Look what these kids are turning in to.

When she shoplifted at 16 and was caught, I had to pay. When I allowed her to be cuffed and taken to the station and left her there, I was again charged with child abuse. (thankfully aquitted again, but it was expensive.)

edit on 3/8/2012 by Submarines because: added:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
So here we have an eleven year old child being rude to an assistant principal and the only thing the assistant principal could do is have a deputy sheriff take the girl away in handcuffs?

Sounds to me like the assistant principal is not equipped for their position if they were so out thought by a child that they had to call in the county sheriff over a child walking away and ignoring them.

Sounds to me like this assistant principal would be collapsed in a heap calling for an ambulance if they broke a fingernail, let alone a real catastrophe like the ever increasing school shooting incidents.

Speaks volumes of not only the school district but the college they attended in order to have their position in education in the first place. But hey, your tax dollars at work.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
It that was my 11 year old child, the school involved, would have a legal situation on their hands.

As for the Sheriff, A Total overreaction on their part. I hope the parent or parents take full legal action. I know I would.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
gee when i was in school and talked back,i just got a cuff in the back of the head and was sent to the office,followed by a phone call home! after school,i really didn't want to go home! my dad was way more scary than any teacher!
but seriously,handcuffs and jail!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Well, its the leniency and the punishment...

In some countries student don't talk back to teachers, actually they are respected but Police only involve for police reason, violence leading to injury or anything worse.

In other countries we have a system where kids talk back, and they are treated with extreme punishment.

I say poor parenting skills, also VP should have handled it carefully.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Sounds to me like the administrator has the attitude problem.

And probably a superiority complex with it.

That kid obviously outsmarted the "smart" one

The "intellectuals" are the ones responsible for 99.9% of the problems.
(they bring it upon themselves)

All of us "dumb" and uneducated people don't cause world financial and political breakdowns do we ?

Nor do we appropriate billions of dollars to failed systems (like the school system boondoggles).

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
No wonder kids take guns to school, Id have poured some Nitromors on their car as retaliation

Expecting dox if this one hits the mainstream, hopefully they are starting to learn there are now global consequences for their actions
edit on 8-3-2012 by Maponos because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by nrd101

you reap what you sow -teachers authority has been systematically undermined

before critisising - please review just what " powers" a teacher has over a student

then thell us how - using only those " powers " you would deal with such incidents

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

then thell us how - using only those " powers " you would deal with such incidents

It seems pretty simple.

Found the kid wandering the hall.

Ask the kid the typical "where's your pass?" "what class do you have this period?"

Both questions are adequately inquisitive and neither actually requires a response. The student can very well go on ignoring you and progress to wherever she is progressing.

Throw out a "detention if your tardy" line. Still, she doesnt ever need to stop or respond. The punishment is there and it will eventually kick in.

Now let discipline take its course. She shows up late or doesnt show up at all then the next day or whenever she comes back hit her with detention. She doesnt show up get her with in house suspension.

When I was in school there was a standing rule: caught wandering without a pass = detention. Easily enforced regardless of how rude or uncooperative a student may have been.

Never have to lay a hand on her. She never has to respond. The cops certainly dont ever have to be called. I dont get why this is so hard.

To think that with all the punitive measures available to school administrators the first action taken would be arrest and detainment is just preposterous.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by nrd101

Good.

They did as they're supposed to. If the parents don't want to control their children, the state will. Simple as that.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by mugger
Seems the liberal policies of no discipline are working well. Sounds like the kid needs the old paddle.
It also seems the parents failed to raise a decent child who doesn't respect anyone. Maybe this kid will learna lesson being handcuffed for her stupid outbursts and learn some respect.

OP-revenge?.. I get called on my daughter acting like that, I'm punishing her also.
edit on 3/8/2012 by mugger because: (no reason given)

There is no law against not listening to a principal. And no, we'd be paddling our politicians before we'd let anyone touch the kids.

I'd keep them home.

I just read some of these comments. I don't even allow them to keep my child in detention and instruct my children to come home. I decide if they are getting a time out ,not somebody else.

I've also told my children to go to the washroom when they want to and told the teachers what I told them.
edit on 8-3-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by mugger

Yep,it seems to have gone from one extreme to the other.When i was a schoolkid,in my country,corporal punishment was allowed,and seen as a sensible thing-it produced kids who behaved themselves at school.It did not necessarily bring about respect for the teachers,that still had to be earned..but it did provide an environment where ther were no disruptions,and those who were interested in learning,could learn.It has to be said,the most dedicated teachers,who realy made an effort to connect with the kids at their level and made their subject interesting,who went that extra mile,were usualy the ones who never had to apply much corporal punishment,if any.

Again,it boils down to how parents raise their kids at home.There is such a thing as basic politeness and consideration.Even if the teacher is patently an ass,there is no excuse for rudeness.You can still think of them what you want,no one controls your mind but bear in mind that after school presumably you will want a job.When you are a working person,who is habitualy rude and dismissive to your employers,you get fired..Its about teaching your kids how the adult world works.Rudeness and insubordination will assure you of nothing but unemployment.
You dont take time to raise a decent kid who knows to treat others with consideration and the basic social skills,you will get situations like this.Obviously teachers are gonna feel overwhelmed and powerless to do their job.Maybe the teacher here was trying to make a point through her "over-reaction"-that,if this is how you are gonna go through life,rude and diasrespectful(i mean,she is 11,what kind of attitude is she gonna have at work when she's 20?)there will be unpleasant consequences,as i said,unemployment to start with.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I really dislike these threads. They always seem to turn into teacher bashing.

I hear a lot of blame directed at the teachers. But how about the parents and the child? Do they not share in the blame?

As a teacher, there are few things I can do to discipline students. I can remove privileges, such as making the student have silent lunch. I can give consequences, such as demerits. I can send a child to in-school suspension. If the offense is bad enough, the child might be suspended. That's pretty much it.

Now these measures work wonderfully for students who are respectful and courteous. But the majority of students in my school are not respectful. Where did they learn this? From their first and most important teacher: their parents.

I've been cursed out by a third grader. When I met with the parents, they cursed me as well.

I've dealt with extremely hostile parents. I've been called names, threatened, and more by adults. Is it any wonder their children have behavior problems?

No one wants to accept responsibility in our society; there's definently a feeling of entitlement. Case in point: our school has a reading goal set for each student. These are individual goals and basically require the child to read and take a quiz on the book. If the child meets their goal, they are rewarded. We set new goals every six weeks.

One of my students refused to participate. I gave him every opportunity, but didn't force the issue. Of course, he didn't make his goal.

The next day three of his family members came to school and let me have it. It was my fault. Obviously I was a terrible teacher because he didn't make his goal. They were completely unwilling to see reason.

Teachers do need to respect their students. Students and parents need to respect their teacher. It goes both ways.

Should this child have been handcuffed? I don't think so; IMO that was an extreme reaction. But who knows how much trouble this child has caused in the past. Perhaps this was a desperate attempt on the administrator's part. Doesn't make it okay, of course.

Okay, I'll stop my rant now.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

I just read some of these comments. I don't even allow them to keep my child in detention and instruct my children to come home. I decide if they are getting a time out ,not somebody else.

I've also told my children to go to the washroom when they want to and told the teachers what I told them.

Seriously? That is the reason we have children who don't respect teachers, police, or any other authority figure. If you want to set the rules for school, keep them home and try homeschooling. If every parent did what you claim to do, there would be mayhem, and those who wanted to learn would be unable to.

Just curious, what happens when your child gets locked up when they get older, and they tell the jailers " my mom says I don't have to listen to you or go by your rules"?

Sheesh...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join