It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some say re-election fear is driving gun sales in Fort Worth, elsewhere

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
www.star-telegram.com...=omni_popular

Last year, the FBI received more than 16.3 million inquiries from people running criminal background checks on potential gun buyers. That's up from 12.7 million in 2008 and 11.4 million in 2007, FBI records show.

For a long time I didn't think it was necessary to own a weapon. I read articles like this and think it might not be such a bad idea. I have my emergency food supply now I need a gun and a scruffy dog maybe a bandana and I'll be all set.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Congratulations, Mr. President! I think this is the fourth year in a row you've won this great honor.

edit on 3/5/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by stewiegriffin

Funny - all those rampant scare tactics that he would take away all your guns. In fact, there are more guns than ever, and I would have no problem going down the street to any of a thousand locations in town to purchase some.

His administration "allows" some agencies to even trade them to mexican drug lords for narcotics, which they in turn sell to our population to fund black ops projects such as assassination squads.

His predecessors were doing the same exact thing. Let's just be informed about this and not profess any ignorant statements in this thread for once.
edit on 5-3-2012 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

For a long time I didn't think it was necessary to own a weapon. I read articles like this and think it might not be such a bad idea. I have my emergency food supply now I need a gun and a scruffy dog maybe a bandana and I'll be all set.

wish my dog
could talk telepathically

so many guns
so little time

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
owning guns is one of the things that separates America from a lot of other people, its r duty to our self's, our famileys , and r fellow Americans to own and to be able to safely use a firearm. plus its fun to shot stuff lol.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

I can personally attest to this phenomenon. Just last Friday I went into my local gun store to make a payment on the 1887 Winchester I have on layaway and the store was packed to the gills with people inspecting firearms and filling out the necessary forms to purchase. Whereas only to years ago I can remember my friend who works there worried that the owner would have to lay off some employees, or worse, close their doors after over 50 years in business.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by stewiegriffin

Last year, the FBI received more than 16.3 million inquiries from people running criminal background checks on potential gun buyers. That's up from 12.7 million in 2008 and 11.4 million in 2007, FBI records show.

And that only accounts for buyers who go through the paper work process. Many gun totting, god fearing, 2nd amendment loving Americans refuse to have a paper trail for their guns. It is legal to buy a gun it many states without any paperwork if you purchase from a private seller.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Yeah, I was going to say something about those who don't apply for a license or leave a paper trail.
Probably just as many if not more.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Are we really going to do this again?

It appears so.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

What are you talking about?
Please elaborate.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I think it's more the fear of imminent collapse/disaster and lack of trust in authority, not the puppet of the united states. People aren't stupid (well, some of them), they are sensing how screwed up the world is getting and don't want to be left without options should chaos erupt.
edit on 5-3-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

My doggies talk to me, but all I ever hear is..."Your a Rock Star Daddy"!!!

Yeah I wish I could understand "Dogese" more clearly.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Samsquanch

Same experience a couple weekends ago for me. I decided to stop by my local Bass Pro Shop to pick up a Ruger 10/22 (probably one of the most ubiguitous rifles out there). I just figured I needed a rimfire semi to add to the higher powered stuff I already have. People were 3-4 deep at the gun counter --- all types of folks. When my number finally came up there were no 10/22's to be had. He checked the computer and couldn't even order one for me --- they were back ordered over 3mos. I was shocked at this and he told me that they've never seen guns flying off the shelf this fast. And I live in a state with some of the toughest gunn laws in the country.

Took two more gun shop stops before I found one.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

The run on guns.

AGAIN.

Because I remember the impossibility to just find affordable ammunition for target shooting 3 years ago.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Things might seem fine and dandy now for supporters of the Second Amendment who exercise their rights.

However after Obama wins his second term (which I hate to say, I expect to happen) it's possible that things will change after that. Think about it, he's in it for two terms. He will save the best for his second term, according to the NRA VP:

1996: Obama endorsed a total ban on the manufacture, sale and possession of all handguns.
1998: Obama endorsed a ban on the sale or transfer of all semi-automatic firearms.
1999: Obama supported a 500 percent increase in federal taxes on ammunition.
2003: Obama voted to ban single-shot, over-under, and side-by-side shotguns.
2004: Obama said the right to carry should be banned nationwide.
Obama even said you shouldn’t be allowed to have a gun in your home for self-defense!
Obama’s nominees—Supreme Court Justices Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan— …are among the most rabidly anti-gun U.S. Supreme Court justices in American history.

Now I'm not going to try sourcing all of the above and verify it as true or not, but if much of it is even half true and you care about the Second Amendment, you might want to look into this a bit more.

Obama's Secret Plan To Destroy The Second Amendment By 2016 (NRA Site: Don't mind the 'Become an NRA Member' bits)

It's very possible many Americans are privy to these things and that's why they are exercising their rights now while they still can. If it weren't for the 2nd Amendment, we would be right there with the UK/Australia, or wherever else the most strict weapons bans are in place today. It's possible Obama does have a long term plan to make it happen here as well.

It wouldn't be the first time he has stepped over the Constitution, would it?

reply to post by Samsquanch

Indeed, where I am currently residing in Las Vegas, NV, gun stores have been packed with all walks of life lately, with people walking out with one, two, sometimes three weapons at a time like they're out just picking up lunch or something. Even better, go to our local range and be shocked to see the amount of weapons and ammunition people are going through. Ammo is not cheap these days!

Yet somehow, it's still not the ol' wild west with people shooting each other dead in the street. Pretty sure it's mainly criminals who can't even buy weapons legally committing those crimes, still.
edit on 5-3-2012 by Sek82 because: eta reply

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

Gotta love all the paranoid gun nuts.

They're just buying into fear and it works like a charm.

Firearms dealers get a healthy cut and the government gets more guns to track.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

2008-2012

Wheres your data there?

Oh right.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Hey, not sure what you're looking for as far as data during Obama's term, but here's some reading:

President Obama's Anti-Gun Agenda Shows No Sign Of Stopping

President Obama keeps pushing for gun control. "I just want you to know that we are working on [gun control]. We have to go through a few processes, but under the radar,” President Obama told Sarah Brady, the former president of the Brady Campaign, this past spring.

I highly doubt that President Obama's stance on gun control radically changed when he was sworn into office. Lots of links within the article are worth reading. I am not worried either way, but wouldn't be surprised if Obama's second term proves to be drastically different than his first in regards to gun control, and other issues.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen
Congratulations, Mr. President! I think this is the fourth year in a row you've won this great honor.

OMG I must have laughed at laugh for 5 minutes straight!

new topics

top topics

join